BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Top 10 Stupid Red Cards

• Backroom

Two that spring to mind for me are Tugay against Boro, 2 moronic first half yellows including the worlds most pointless handball in their half.

Also the lad against Norwich who randomly kicked one of theirs off the pitch, I want to say it was Jay Bothroyd 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

Two that spring to mind for me are Tugay against Boro, 2 moronic first half yellows including the worlds most pointless handball in their half.

Also the lad against Norwich who randomly kicked one of theirs off the pitch, I want to say it was Jay Bothroyd 

The Tugay one was crackers. Maybe he needed to be somewhere else. The Andy Todd on Dugarry was pointless but very funny.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

The Tugay one was crackers. Maybe he needed to be somewhere else. The Andy Todd on Dugarry was pointless but very funny.

The most pointless one I ever saw was in Rovers favour. We were playing Utd at Old Trafford in the relegation season of 1965-66. We were losing 2-0 and playing like real no-hopers. At that time we were fielding Mike England as a centre forward and he must have done something to rile Harry Gregg in the Utd goal. Gregg was notorious for having a short fuse. Late in the second half Rovers got a corner and as it was swung in Gregg came running out of his goal and punched England square on the side of the head with a right hook. The ball was yards away.

Gregg just carried on walking to the changing rooms. He didn’t look around at the ref or Mike England who was laid out on the ground. He must have thought the game was over.

Of course Mike Harrison scored from the resulting penalty. Striker David Herd was the stand in goalie, no sub goalies then. He actually tried to run along the line to stop the ball - no chance.

After that it was game on. Rovers actually equalised with an equally comical free kick which hit the wall and looped over the hapless Herd in the Utd goal.

It gave me hope that we might avoid the drop but it wasn’t to be.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Bothroyd was sent off at Norwich , early Mark Hughes time ...Dickov scored an equaliser in injury time ..

Todd on Dugarry, it was hilarious and the cheating diving ponce deserved it but it was a blind act of stupidity right under the refs hooter.

I think we went on to lose as well.

Emerton i think it was at Wigan when we were on a storming comeback after being several goals down, certain we'd have got at least a point from that game but for that.

Also at Wigan Grant Hanley right handing one of theirs over something and nothing, pure petulance from a petulant lump.

38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Todd on Dugarry, it was hilarious and the cheating diving ponce deserved it but it was a blind act of stupidity right under the refs hooter.

I think we went on to lose as well.

Emerton i think it was at Wigan when we were on a storming comeback after being several goals down, certain we'd have got at least a point from that game but for that.

Also at Wigan Grant Hanley right handing one of theirs over something and nothing, pure petulance from a petulant lump.

I think we drew the game were Todd got sent off but up till that point we were all over them like a rash and winning 1-0.

• Like 1

• Backroom
11 hours ago, jodrell said:

Was it Jason Willcox against Forest dropping the ball for a throw in? getting sent off

Yep I remember the ball gently rolling down the slope away from the pitch 

One of the most frustrating was the beautiful Sebastian Perez getting sent off for being attacked by Graeme Le Saux 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

On 30/12/2022 at 17:19, BRFCS.com said:

Here's a random BRFCS list of red card moments of madness from Rovers' history.  Are there any missing which you think should be up there?  

https://www.brfcs.com/magazine/articles/top-10-stupid-red-cards/330

image.thumb.png.1c10159b39a6a91bd0ac418c11879187.png

I was at Ewood for the Mike Ferguson one. Sat upstairs in the Riverside with a clear view across the pitch to see in the distance the bucket flying and water splashing everywhere. It would have made a great video.

I remember as an impressionable teenager thinking, well, if you have got to go do it in style.

The match result was a heartbreaker though.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I was at Ewood for the Mike Ferguson one. Sat upstairs in the Riverside with a clear view across the pitch to see in the distance the bucket flying and water splashing everywhere. It would have made a great video.

I remember as an impressionable teenager thinking, well, if you have got to go do it in style.

The match result was a heartbreaker though.

I was on the Riverside by the wall facing the incident.I got a good view across the pitch. Every time Fergie got the ball Bruck was chopping at the backs of his legs from behind. Eventually he’d had enough and lashed out backwards. A classic example of what was wrong with football then, and now to a certain extent. The guy causing the trouble gets away with it and the retaliator get the earlier bath. That taught me to always be the guy causing the trouble and never retaliate. Bide your time, you always get a chance to get your own back if you’re patient. I also though Bruck made a meal of the incident, that was the first time I’d seen somebody do that. It wasn’t a game for divers in those days.

The other abiding memory from the game is Coventry launching a long ball down centre field. Ronnie set off after it with Bobby Gould in the distance behind him. Just as the ball reached the Rovers keeper Gould caught up with Ronnie Clayton and gave him an almighty kick up the arse !  For no obvious reason. He got a booking but stayed on.

• Like 1