BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The " Ticker " Clock on the home page ....

Both " Longsiders " and I have had some criticism for downplaying our success this season, indeed it has been referred to as a " little owd Burnley " schtick by one poster ... so I'm donning my hard hart after posting this !!

I've just realised you have a " Ticker " Clock at the foot of the home page detailing the number of years, months, days etc since " Burnley won anything ". This is factually incorrect, as since our 1959-60 Football League Championship, we've won the following ...

Championship/2nd Division (Tier 2)

• Winners:  1972-73, 2015-16, 2022-23 ( pending ! )
  • Play-off winners: 2008-09

Second Division/Third Division (Tier 3)

• Winners: 1981-82
  • Play-off winners: 1993-94

Fourth Division (Tier 4)

• Winners: 1991-92

Cup

FA Charity Shield

• Winners: 1960 (shared), 1973

Anglo Scottish Cup

• Winners: 1978-1979

I would also point out that Burnley currently lead on the " Head to Head " in League & Cup, 43 to 41, with 19 draws.

On a more serious note, I attended the wake of David Hopkinson, the QEGS Master who passed away recently at Ewood Park. Not only was I there for myself, but also to represent a number of former pupils who asked me to pass on condolences, including Mike E, Revidge Blue and Herbie6590 of this Parish !!

Rather bizarrely, I had to walk through the Main Stand marked " Players Entrance ". Given the fact that a combination of genes & the Good Lord gave me a frame far more suited to being a Rugby 2nd Row Forward, I chuckled to myself walking up the stairs, " Too old, too fat, too slow, wrong game and what's more, wrong bl***y Club ! ". Hoppy would have seen the irony, I'm sure !! 😎

Edited by sympatheticclaret

14 minutes ago, J*B said:

We only recognise top level trophies here my friend. 

I'll be sure to quote that back to you, in the happy event that a gentleman in a Blue and White halved shirt is holding aloft the Championship play-off trophy at Wembley, at some point during the last weekend in May !! 

Anyway, the Anglo-Scottish trophy counts as a European trophy, doesn't it !! 😉

Ha, of course we wouldn’t. Getting promoted is everything, but a play off trophy isn’t ‘major’ (we had one of those in 1992, by the way) Difference is we all remember winning actual major trophies, so we don’t need to scratch around to compile that very sad list. 

This is ‘little owd Burnley’ on steroids. Though I suppose it still beats the post 1930s PNE ‘We had Finney once’… ‘and we get to wear bowler hats because of something Alan Ball once said’ honours board…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

Let's not forget the Full Members' Cup, everyone! Or, as today is the day of the League Cup Final, that one, either.

And at least, we've never been within 5 minutes of dropping out of the entire Football League system.

It's the range of trophies we've won that, sadly 😉 , I find myself unable to stop myself from mentioning most Sunday mornings during WhatsApp conversation with my schoolpal of the Claret and Blue persuasion but resident in New Zealand for the last half century.

Edited by R0verb0y
Correcting an imbalance!

11 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Both " Longsiders " and I have had some criticism for downplaying our success this season, indeed it has been referred to as a " little owd Burnley " schtick by one poster ... so I'm donning my hard hart after posting this !!

I've just realised you have a " Ticker " Clock at the foot of the home page detailing the number of years, months, days etc since " Burnley won anything ". This is factually incorrect, as since our 1959-60 Football League Championship, we've won the following ...

Fourth Division (Tier 4)

Cup

FA Charity Shield

Anglo Scottish Cup

I would also point out that Burnley currently lead on the " Head to Head " in League & Cup, 43 to 41, with 19 draws.

On a more serious note, I attended the wake of David Hopkinson, the QEGS Master who passed away recently at Ewood Park. Not only was I there for myself, but also to represent a number of former pupils who asked me to pass on condolences, including Mike E, Revidge Blue and Herbie6590 of this Parish !!

Rather bizarrely, I had to walk through the Main Stand marked " Players Entrance ". Given the fact that a combination of genes & the Good Lord gave me a frame far more suited to being a Rugby 2nd Row Forward, I chuckled to myself walking up the stairs, " Too old, too fat, too slow, wrong game and what's more, wrong bl***y Club ! ". Hoppy would have seen the irony, I'm sure !! 😎

Sad stuff that with David Hopkinson. I didn't know him, but from reading your post, he sounds like a great bloke.

I have had the honour of knowing one of the players, who played for the Clarets, the last time they won a major trophy, namely the old division one title.

I know Brian Pilkington was very proud of that achievement I have shared at least 20 conversations, with people who called into his office to share the memories and ask for memorabilia to be signed.

A great man Brian and I hope he is resting in peace too.

37 minutes ago, lraC said:

Sad stuff that with David Hopkinson. I didn't know him, but from reading your post, he sounds like a great bloke.

I have had the honour of knowing one of the players, who played for the Clarets, the last time they won a major trophy, namely the old division one title.

I know Brian Pilkington was very proud of that achievement I have shared at least 20 conversations, with people who called into his office to share the memories and ask for memorabilia to be signed.

A great man Brian and I hope he is resting in peace too.

If I hadn't made it obvious about David Hopkinson, if you cut him, he'd have bled blue and white ....

• Like 1

It always bemuses me when I see Burnley include the FA Charity Shield as an honour.

Burnley, as 2nd division winners, were invited to participate because NEITHER the 1st division winners nor the FA Cup winners could be arsed to take part.

I mean winning the Shield AFTER winning the 1st division or FA Cup (a major honour) is an extra feather in the cap, a type of 'super cup' but winning it effectively by invitation/default because the usual participants couldn't be bothered joining in I don't think merits it being treated as a serious honour.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Or .... " has a broad range of interests, appreciates and engages the other man's point of view and is intolerant of blinkered views and opinions " ....

You reckon if a few Rovers fans joined UTC they would get a fair hearing, get to debate and become long standing members?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

You reckon if a few Rovers fans joined UTC they would get a fair hearing, get to debate and become long standing members?

Probably not, which is even more reason why they’re welcomed here. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Fourth Division (Tier 4)

Cup

FA Charity Shield

Anglo Scottish Cup

😂 That list of "honours" brought such a smile to my face!

I can just imagine the scenes if you'd "won" the Intertoto Cup. Pendle Hill would never have recovered.

• Like 4