BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sky Sports Deal

5 games out of 12 live every weekend, so expect disruption like we’ve had these past six months to be the norm…

oh and clubs still to be skint as the extra cash goes straight into the pocket of players (and their agents).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Intrigued as to where all these televised matches go in the schedule... Friday night for the 'showstopper' then pitted against BT's offerings/PL matches for the remainder? More Thursday/Monday matches...?

Shite for the actual fans who like to go to the ground, but hey ho...

• Like 1

It's worth 935 million pounds to clubs and EFL have more TV coverage as this is what they wanted. 

I would imagine we see 12.30 pm and 5.30 pm on Saturdays plus Sunday dinner time and Friday night games.

I would expect Sky will launch its own Sky Sports EFL channel for this new TV deal

I am not an attendee of live matches sadly, but speaking as a season ticket holder of Coventry Rugby Club for the past few years, I'd be annoyed if they moved a lot of games to weird times like 6pm on a Thursday, as I'll be at work then. There's the odd game at home at 7.45pm, but it is literally once or twice. If I was a season ticket holder at Ewood Park, and about 10 games were on unusual times like Mid day on Sunday followed by a mid week evening game. I'd be a bit miffed.

• Like 2

Even if all of this money was for Championship clubs (it isn't) that would only amount to 7.79 million per club per season.

If it's a 50% increase as claimed, then it's an increase of about 2.5 million per club. And again, I'm exaggerating because a chunk of the money will go to Leagues One and Two. We lose about £20 million a season. It will barely touch the sides.

In exchange, it says there will be 4 times as many games broadcasted (although that doesn't stack with other figures in the article, which says there are currently 138 games televised and there will be 1,059 games broadcast now...I think it may be something to do with the distinctions between televised, streamed and broadcasted).

Sounds like a fairly shit deal to me tbh.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Even if all of this money was for Championship clubs (it isn't) that would only amount to 7.79 million per club per season.

If it's a 50% increase as claimed, then it's an increase of about 2.5 million per club. And again, I'm exaggerating because a chunk of the money will go to Leagues One and Two. We lose about £20 million a season. It will barely touch the sides.

In exchange, it says there will be 4 times as many games broadcasted (although that doesn't stack with other figures in the article, which says there are currently 138 games televised and there will be 1,059 games broadcast now...I think it may be something to do with the distinctions between televised, streamed and broadcasted).

Sounds like a fairly shit deal to me tbh.

Yep Sky have run rings round the clubs and EFL here.

• Like 2

Hopefully this jump in income will trigger a slashing of matchday and season ticket prices like John Williams did when the Premier League received a new Sky windfall. 

Maybe not!

All jokes aside I have never and will never understand how having more bums on seats can't be more profitable, when selling bigger numbers for a smaller price. Even if the numbers work out the same, more supporters is better than less supporters!

Edited by cesus
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

All this down to EFL and its clubs wanting more TV revenues and coverage. 

It’s down to broadcasters falling over themselves to offer ridiculous amounts of money.

It will all get pissed up the wall anyway - the TV income has been increasing for decades but clubs still continue to make higher and higher losses.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cesus said:

Hopefully this jump in income will trigger a slashing of matchday and season ticket prices like John Williams did when the Premier League received a new Sky windfall. 

Maybe not!

All jokes aside I have never and will never understand how having more bums on seats can't be more profitable, when selling bigger numbers for a smaller price. Even if the numbers work out the same, more supporters is better than less supporters!

It would be more profitable-  you know it, I know it, I expect even Waggott knows it.

But it would also take more effort - something SW is clearly unwilling to make.

46 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

It would be more profitable-  you know it, I know it, I expect even Waggott knows it.

But it would also take more effort - something SW is clearly unwilling to make.

At a normal club yes, but at Ewood, apart from the club shop, everything has been outsourced. We receive a set fixed amount per season so it doesn't have any impact on our income if 2,000 people turn up or 30,000.

Yep, and set revenue targets from the owners (presumably, unless Swag sets his own). So as others have said he’d be happy enough if 1 fan bought 1 ST for 3 million. Job done.

He’s no interest in growing the fanbase, none. Once you’ve reconciled yourself to that, all you can do is just bide your time until he finally fecks off, and hope the owners choose to rip up this present commercial horror show and go for someone that actually does see the value in bums on seats.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, phili said:

At a normal club yes, but at Ewood, apart from the club shop, everything has been outsourced. We receive a set fixed amount per season so it doesn't have any impact on our income if 2,000 people turn up or 30,000.

6000 x £379 = £2.27 million

10000 x £300 = £3.00 million

Clearly those numbers are ‘for illustration only’ but they show you don’t even have to take into account any other match day income.

That being said, hopefully even our commercial department put a ‘percentage of profits’ clause into the outsourcing contracts - or do you know for certain they’re just based on a ‘flat fee’

51 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I assume because they still wanted to pay lip service at least to the 3pm blackout.

Given the amount of games they'll have to broadcast, they've basically abolished Saturday 3pm anyway!

• Like 1