BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sky Sports Deal

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

7 out of 12 Championship games will still be at 3pm, I believe.

Correct:

Will Article 48 (3pm blocked broadcasting period) still apply?

• Yes, the blocked period between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturdays will remain.
  • This means there will be seven 3pm games in the Championship, and 19 x 3pm games in League One and Two combined, which will not be broadcast each weekend

• Research suggests removal of Article 48 (and the broadcast of all games) could lead to a drop of up to £37m in attendance revenue, therefore that number needed to be factored into any offer that sought to remove it
  • No bid received convinced us in relation to Article 48’s removal and the various models proposed fell some way short of the value of the Sky Sports offer

So they’re basically admitting they would have broadcast all games ‘if the right offer had been made’…

21 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Correct:

Will Article 48 (3pm blocked broadcasting period) still apply?

• Yes, the blocked period between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on Saturdays will remain.
  • This means there will be seven 3pm games in the Championship, and 19 x 3pm games in League One and Two combined, which will not be broadcast each weekend

Does that mean that mean there will be x5, 3pm Saturday games that are broadcast ?

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

Does that mean that mean there will be x5, 3pm Saturday games that are broadcast ?

No, I think they’ll be 12:30 if they’re on the tele on a Saturday - I’ll take another look!

Edit - there will be 5 championship and 5 league 1 and 2 (combined) matches broadcast each weekend.

Of these 10,  5 will be kicking off Saturday 12:30:

• Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown. Five matches will take centre stage in the Sky Bet Championship and fans in Sky Bet League One and League Two will benefit from greater coverage than ever before with five games being broadcast live.
  • We have protected 832 key Saturday 3pm matches and introduced extended notice periods for fans, balanced club selections and five weekend matches at Sat 12.30
Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cesus said:

Hopefully this jump in income will trigger a slashing of matchday and season ticket prices like John Williams did when the Premier League received a new Sky windfall. 

I think Rovers will have to do if they want to attract fans to games. maybe flexible tickets for families with young children. A full ST should be between £199 to 270 depending on which stand you are in. Then start of with £15 to 20 match day tickets prices

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

If the EFL wanted more coverage, why didn’t they go with the reported offer by DAZN to broadcast every single match?

Cos they want to protect the bulk of games on Saturday 3pm kick offs unless we end up with football during Covid days. 

2 hours ago, phili said:

At a normal club yes, but at Ewood, apart from the club shop, everything has been outsourced. We receive a set fixed amount per season so it doesn't have any impact on our income if 2,000 people turn up or 30,000.

I am right in thinking the food is outsource with them paying Rovers a set fee each season? 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Rovers will have to do if they want to attract fans to games. maybe flexible tickets for families with young children. A full ST should be between £199 to 270 depending on which stand you are in. Then start of with £15 to 20 match day tickets prices

Thought you said there’s nothing wrong with ST prices?

• Like 1

As per my earlier post, they’ve  only ‘protected’ 3pm Saturday because the offers weren’t good enough not to:

In the EFLs own words:

• Research suggests removal of Article 48 (and the broadcast of all games) could lead to a drop of up to £37m in attendance revenue, therefore that number needed to be factored into any offer that sought to remove it

6 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

If the EFL wanted more coverage, why didn’t they go with the reported offer by DAZN to broadcast every single match?

They wanted more money, not more coverage 

• Like 1

I feel this not televising games at 3pm business seems a bit overrated. I always assumed it's to maximise viewership from footy watching nuts...people who might watch a game before attending their own team's game (or maybe watching SSN updates) and then go watch another game on tv after?

If that's the case, that can't be too big a market and we are so oversaturated with tv games now that they might as well just show some games at 3pm too and only move one each to 12.30 or 5.30. Neutral viewers will still have an absolute glut of games to watch, and the match-going fans don't get their times pissed around with.

I feel like I must be missing something here and that someone will explain for me, but it doesn't seem to make sense anymore.

5 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Has anyone picked up on this (from the EFL website)?

• From the 2024/25 season onward, this new deal with Sky Sports will effectively replace the EFL’s domestic video streaming option provided via iFollow and Club streaming services

At least it'll stream properly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I feel this not televising games at 3pm business seems a bit overrated. I always assumed it's to maximise viewership from footy watching nuts...people who might watch a game before attending their own team's game (or maybe watching SSN updates) and then go watch another game on tv after?

If that's the case, that can't be too big a market and we are so oversaturated with tv games now that they might as well just show some games at 3pm too and only move one each to 12.30 or 5.30. Neutral viewers will still have an absolute glut of games to watch, and the match-going fans don't get their times pissed around with.

I feel like I must be missing something here and that someone will explain for me, but it doesn't seem to make sense anymore.

I think the ‘theory is’ to stop people choosing to watch a higher division game on tv over attending a local ‘lesser’ game in person.

Whether that has ever worked, or is still applicable for ‘modern’ football - I’ve no idea.

Edited by wilsdenrover

48 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Sky are a bad omen for us when you see this. 

IMG_3781.png

It's so weird that we've been picked more than anyone else. We're getting the Leeds treatment from a few years ago, but we don't have a huge fanbase and we've never been media darlings. Yes we were 2nd for quite a while, but for quite a while since we've just been one of the top 6 and they've kept selecting us. Moreover, we play badly nearly every time we're on Sky, so what's with their insistence on continually picking us?

If I didn't know better, I'd think they keep picking us because they know we have a terrible record in front of the cameras and don't want us to go up. I do know better, don't get me wrong, but it's very odd.

The only plus side of this is hopefully it's put a decent bit in the coffers for next year, but we won't be talking crazy sums.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2023 at 20:05, Mattyblue said:

Yep, and set revenue targets from the owners (presumably, unless Swag sets his own). So as others have said he’d be happy enough if 1 fan bought 1 ST for 3 million. Job done.

He’s no interest in growing the fanbase, none. Once you’ve reconciled yourself to that, all you can do is just bide your time until he finally fecks off, and hope the owners choose to rip up this present commercial horror show and go for someone that actually does see the value in bums on seats.

They won't.

On 07/05/2023 at 04:33, bluebruce said:

It's so weird that we've been picked more than anyone else. We're getting the Leeds treatment from a few years ago, but we don't have a huge fanbase and we've never been media darlings. Yes we were 2nd for quite a while, but for quite a while since we've just been one of the top 6 and they've kept selecting us. Moreover, we play badly nearly every time we're on Sky, so what's with their insistence on continually picking us?

If I didn't know better, I'd think they keep picking us because they know we have a terrible record in front of the cameras and don't want us to go up. I do know better, don't get me wrong, but it's very odd.

The only plus side of this is hopefully it's put a decent bit in the coffers for next year, but we won't be talking crazy sums.

I think that with the Premier League being 30 years old and us still being the only town team to win it, there has been more interest in the club.

We get picked for sky because they think that we'll draw good viewing figures.

Despite what those within the club would have you believe, we're one of the biggest clubs in this division.

And anyone saying we should feel lucky to be in this division and all that bollocks can fuck off and go and support Fleetwood or something. Never heard such disrespectful bullshit in my life.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I think that with the Premier League being 30 years old and us still being the only town team to win it, there has been more interest in the club.

We get picked for sky because they think that we'll draw good viewing figures.

Despite what those within the club would have you believe, we're one of the biggest clubs in this division.

And anyone saying we should feel lucky to be in this division and all that bollocks can fuck off and go and support Fleetwood or something. Never heard such disrespectful bullshit in my life.

I've not noticed a massive upsurge in interest in us due to the 30 year anniversary, but then again I don't really watch (or have) the sports channels etc. I expect them to pick games based mostly on expected viewing figures as you say, and I guess they've had enough data from the sheer amount of games of ours they've shown to have some confidence that showing us means viewing figures. I could understand the notion that us returning to the Prem in the 30th anniversary season could have some romanticism for a handful of neutrals, but I do struggle to think that's enough to explain it.

Absolutely we're one of the biggest clubs in this division, certainly in the way I regard size (a combination of overall history, trophies, recent credentials, current footballing and financial power, and fanbase), although in the money-oriented Sky era many only look at crowds (poor for us) and current standing (good relative to our league, but still some clubs who have been higher than us through the season, especially 2nd half of it).

Absolutely, anyone who thinks we are lucky to be in this league can go and suck a legion of poisoned dicks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I've not noticed a massive upsurge in interest in us due to the 30 year anniversary, but then again I don't really watch (or have) the sports channels etc. I expect them to pick games based mostly on expected viewing figures as you say, and I guess they've had enough data from the sheer amount of games of ours they've shown to have some confidence that showing us means viewing figures. I could understand the notion that us returning to the Prem in the 30th anniversary season could have some romanticism for a handful of neutrals, but I do struggle to think that's enough to explain it.

Absolutely we're one of the biggest clubs in this division, certainly in the way I regard size (a combination of overall history, trophies, recent credentials, current footballing and financial power, and fanbase), although in the money-oriented Sky era many only look at crowds (poor for us) and current standing (good relative to our league, but still some clubs who have been higher than us through the season, especially 2nd half of it).

Absolutely, anyone who thinks we are lucky to be in this league can go and suck a legion of poisoned dicks.

Spot on.

A combination of Brereton-Diaz mania along with the Premier League retrospective videos that came out not long ago have put us back on the radar for a lot of people.

Also for the younger fans that missed the 90s, to look through the winners of the prem and see us on there makes for interesting viewing.

Given that there hasn't been a single team to win the premier league without spending big money, the fact our win was funded by a local fan who made his money in the town makes it the ultimate fairytale. Not one other team has experienced that.