BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

What I don't understand is that if nothing else, Souness would absolutely rip into his team for underperforming. A first half shocker - the team comes out with a rocket up their backsides from the notorious hothead.

Now he just seems to shrug his shoulders, accept defeat and leave it at that.

If we sack Souness now, we will be laughing stock of the league. Football fans are always guilty of being too ambitious. Every season since Division One Souness has said the same thing, priority is avoiding relegation. We've been privellaged with two seasons of over-achieving, with regards to that stated aim. Now that we are actually setting out to achieve priority number one, everyone is shocked and dismayed.

Some have criticised Souness for lacking ambition by making relegation avoidance the priority, and they just never have been realistic. Rovers have to accept that they will be battling to stay in the Premier League all the time, because BRFC *is* a small club. Case in point - we finished sixth in the league, only two (or three?) positions below Chelsea, and had no comeback on the Chelsea offer, such as a better wage offer, something that could overwhelm Duff to stay. Admittedly, fewer supposedly *big* clubs would have been able to do the same, but you can catch my drift with the example.

I might be a wimp, but after the hurt of relegation and the destitution of the first season in division one, I took the promotion, that without question can be credited to our now much derided manager, with a promise never to hope for more than one place above the drop, for as long as we could stay in the Premier League.

I think Souness has realised he cannot do anymore. He has run out of ideas and does not know how to solve the current crisis other than by sepnding yet more money.

All very Roy Hodgson-like and very reminiscent of four years ago.

The board will not sack Souness because it would cost too much to terminate his contract.

My only hope is that he will do the honourable thing and resign after we are inevitably relegated.

The board will not sack Souness because it would cost too much to terminate his contract.

My only hope is that he will do the honourable thing and resign after we are inevitably relegated.

Honourable? That would be quitting, where is the honour in that?

No-one, not in this day of age, and not in some sentimental version of the past, forgoes an entitlement such as this. You know that too, so your statement is made to the effect that should his contract be terminated, you can criticise him for taking his entitlement. It's consistent with your stance on Souness.

Honourable? That would be quitting, where is the honour in that?

There is honour in realising your failings and admitting to them. And forgoing a big pay-off by resigning would show that he really wants the club to survive.

There in absolutely nothing honourable in doing a Glenn Roeder. Sticking to the club like a limpet with not the faintest clue of how to avert relegation. Taking the club down and then getting sacked after a poor start in division one.

Many people on this board think Souness is an excellent manager. So was Klaus Toppmuller - the man that took Bayer Leverkusen to the Champions League final. But situations change and he almost got them relegated the next season with almost the same team. The Bayer board made the huge decision of sacking him and it worked - but it was close because they waited and waited expecting a sudden turnaround that never materialised..

It won't work everytime but the sooner Souness is axed, the better chance of our survival because it'll give the new man time to turn things around. And Trevor Brooking will vouch that time is everything.

rover6 - I really do get the impression that you're enjoying all this. I noticed that you've also changed the messages at the bottom of you posts - a really nice touch. Blackburn Rovers are really struggling this season, please try and show that you care because at the moment you appear to be drawing more satisfaction from our predicament than your average burnley fan.

What I don't understand is that if nothing else, Souness would absolutely rip into his team for underperforming. A first half shocker - the team comes out with a rocket up their backsides from the notorious hothead.

I don't think that's the case at all.  The players were still in the dressing room for quite some time after yesterdays game.

worst performance in 30yrs as a ST holder ?

well in my time I have seen some serious crud whilst watching in my 30 plus years,

huddersfield,gillingham,blackpool,swindon,bradford,city,leeds,boro, the list is bloody endless if we want it to be an ideal picture of imperfection.

If yesterdays result has turned you against the team then you are neither a fan or supporter, you are a complete nurd who has suffered the biggest of knee jerk reactions since young jim :brfc:

get over it, its bad and on that sense can only get better.

we have to be grateful that we have lowly leeds,pompy,leicester and wolves below us at the moment. 3 of them have to come to ewood and if these games are won then safety is achieved. :razz:

Mr. 6,

Just curious, how do you know we will go into administration if relegated? One would think the repayment of the overdraft from the Duff sale would help us avoid that. Do you have information that the rest of us lack about the club's finances?

That being said, I'd be willing to bet you that we don't get relegated...

this time i had enough. He must go

the money is gone, so now we need a manager who can make people better and can buy cheap.

my suggestions: Bert van Maarwijk from Feyenoord..

excellent coach, knows where to buy bargains, knows the foreign market,

and he has won something: he won the UEFA trophy!!!!!!!

i really think souness has lost it!!!!! :brfc:

hold on a mo

has souey won anything ?

yes he bloody has, no foreign johnny is going to improve BRFC on the playing side as manager, maybe the introduction of an assitant coach will benefit the club.

quite clearly saunders is not the suitable coach at the moment :oops:

You are a pair of repetitious knee jerk buffoons.

Hardly knee-jerk dear boy.

I've been saying or months that Souness is past his sell-by date and events are proving me right.

jim the sage eh??

The same jim who was saying 'sell Duff now, we won't get a better offer' about 18 months ago, when we'd probably have got 7 or 8 million (no I can't be bothered digging the thread out).  Keep saying it for long enough and it'll come true.  Personally, hope you have to keep saying 'sack Souness' or 'GS should resign' for another couple of years at least, jim.

Jim for the year and a bit I've been on this board I've seen others say that you are well past your sell-by date...if we finish in the top half will you two admit that you were wrong

i doubt Jim would answer that, he'll be a coward and aviod it

Mods, I guess I am being selfish, because I want to prove a point. Is there any possibility of another Souey poll? It might be counter-productive, but I think that the Souey out brigade are quite vocal, but the messageboard masses might have a different message.

this time i had enough. He must go

the money is gone, so now we need a manager who can make people better and can buy cheap.

my suggestions: Bert van Maarwijk from Feyenoord..

excellent coach, knows where to buy bargains, knows the foreign market,

and he has won something: he won the UEFA trophy!!!!!!!

i really think souness has lost it!!!!! :brfc:

Oh yeah since this guy with the unpronouncable name has won the ever so fantastic UEFA cup he is a truly more suited manager in the english premiership than GS!!!!!

I do not wanna be rude, but I have to ask; Do you know anything about football history?

Do you have the slightest idea of what Souness has won, both as player and manager?

He is probably one of the most trophy winning guys ever to work at Rovers, and you wanna get rid of him because you know about a guy who actually won the uefa cup!! once!

If your logic about him being the right choice because he won a trophy is right, well there can't be anyone better suited for the job than GS can it??

I'm sure even GS himself has lost count of his trophies

why don't you suggest that we resign David May to solve our defensive problems? He won the PL you know......

He is probably one of the most trophy winning guys ever to work at Rovers, and you wanna get rid of him because you know about a guy who actually won the uefa cup!! once!

Souness has done well for us  but please don't make out he's a great manager who's won loads of prestigious trophies. That's simply insulting the intelligence of Rovers fans.

He's never cut it as a top Premiership manager - and he still hasn't. If we survive this year and go on to better things, I'll change my view.

But at the moment, one sixth placed finish does not make him a great manager. Especially with the fact we had the luxury of a world class player in our team. David Moyes effort of getting Everton into 7th last year with little resources and a promising teenager is far more of an achievement.

BTW - I'm not revelling in our current predicament, if it sounds that way, it's because I feel very strongly that we'll go down unless Souness goes.

Souness has done well for us  but please don't make out he's a great manager who's won loads of prestigious trophies. That's simply insulting the intelligence of Rovers fans.

Read my post once more, Rover6.

I said that suggesting that this dutchman would be so much better than Souness because has won the UEFA cup once is ridiculous.

If the guy is gonna use number of trophies won to rate managers, well then I think suggesting one single uefa cup is a lot better than all GS has won, as this guy axtually does if we are to use his own definitions, nevermind experince with british football doesn't matter as well, as long as you once won a single uefa cup, is totally rubbish and premature,.

While I often disagree with you Rover6 and find your opinions strange, compared to Neo some of your points actually makes sense ;-)

He's never cut it as a top Premiership manager - and he still hasn't. If we survive this year and go on to better things, I'll change my view.

But at the moment, one sixth placed finish does not make him a great manager. Especially with the fact we had the luxury of a world class player in our team. David Moyes effort of getting Everton into 7th last year with little resources and a promising teenager is far more of an achievement.

No, you won't change your view.  Your opinion of Souness is clearly deep routed.  If getting promotion, followed by a cup, followed by 6th place in the league isn't enough to persuade you that's he's a pretty fine manager, then not a lot will.  

Oh sorry, you say if we go on to bigger and better things... what do you mean?  Champions League qualification??   Winning the Premiership?? Champions League victory??   Solving world hunger??  Discovering intelligent life elsewhere in the universe/Burnley??

As for Moyes achievement being the greater.  Ask any sane person if finishing 6th is better than 7th and you'll get a particular answer.  No ifs or buts, 6th is a better achievement.  It cannot be qualified.  But if you do want to argue the toss, and I suspect you do, how about considering Everton have an average gate that is about 15,000 more than Rovers?   Isn't that a means to getting a resource that could be tapped into on so many levels - increased income, increased atmosphere etc etc?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.