BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

But with that £17 million - have we bought anyone who comes near to replacing Duff?

When we had Gillespie and Duff on the wings, Souness complained that fielding out and out wingers was detrimental to the team's defensive strength.

SO out go the pacy wingers, and in come players who are not going to open up defences but simply work hard and get the tackles in. Emerton has a bit of skill but you can see why he predominantly played right back for Feyenoord.

Now we don't have bonafide wingers - has our defence record improved? NO, it's got bloody worse and to make matters worse, our only real attacking threat - Duff, has not been replaced with a similarly creative player.

Duff is a one off, the nearest to him is Giggs. I'll tell Souness to have a word with Fergie.

Gillespie cant even get into the Leicester team.

Go and fondle a teacake or something.

I'll go and do that right now. ???

BTW I'm not complaining about Gillespie being released but the fact that he and Duff were not replaced by players of similar ilk. In that they attack the full back, cause a bit of excitement by trying a bit of skill or trickery. (Gilly's skill was limited but he did try to use his pace now and again).

Reid, Emerton (to an extent) are hard workers but not the players to get you of your seat. Nor are they the players to scare the pants of full backs as Duff routinely did and Gilly did to bad ones like Ian Harte and Gio Van Bronkhorst.

Souness claimed it was detrimental to have 2 wingers

I remember him saying that, but he then bought Emerton with the intention of playing him on the right with Duff on the left as part of a new look midfield.

Then that damn Russian came along!  :(

I may be in the minority Rover 6 but you have a point.

Souness claimed it was detrimental to have 2 wingers, we now have none and the defensive record isn't any better.

Agree with rover6? So do I strange as it feels. We simply haven't replaced Duff at all.

Just because we can't get anyone on the left wing as good as Duff doesn't mean we shouldn't have anyone there at all. Even if we can't have Duff's trickery and delivery we still need someone who can knock a cross in every now and then. Is Steven Reid really a left midfielder?

For a large chunk of this season the opposition has just needed to keep Emerton quiet to completely dull our attacking edge. No wonder we have had to see countless balls played into the feet of our forwards with their back to goal, there had been no width to the team and hence no other means of delivery into the box except from the right. That interested me about attempting to bring in McBride; why bring in a target man if you have few means to send in high crosses?

We don't need a Giggs on the left, just someone who can give us a bit of variety. Or even bring in a left back and shove Gresko forward where, as a former attacking wingback, he should have no problems. Gresko has often looked better going forward this season than when he has to defend anyway.    

As for Alan Mahon, he may not be the answer but surely he deserves more of a run than just a few games before being hauled off at half time?

Agree with rover6? So do I strange as it feels. We simply haven't replaced Duff at all.

Just because we can't get anyone on the left wing as good as Duff doesn't mean we shouldn't have anyone there at all. Even if we can't have Duff's trickery and delivery we still need someone who can knock a cross in every now and then.

hmm, agree up to a point, although obviously replacing Duff is a non-starter.

And if Rovers ever do employ another player to beat the opposing right back and get a cross in, Souness would do well never to play him for more than 45 minutes at Ewood - the 45 we attack the Blackburn End.

The first time on his debut he doesn't produce what Duff used to the Riverside will be awash with murmours of discontent, the second time they'll want the poor guy slung out of the club.

Just because we can't get anyone on the left wing as good as Duff doesn't mean we shouldn't have anyone there at all. Even if we can't have Duff's trickery and delivery we still need someone who can knock a cross in every now and then.

And if Rovers ever do employ another player to beat the opposing right back and get a cross in, Souness would do well never to play him for more than 45 minutes at Ewood - the 45 we attack the Blackburn End.

The first time on his debut he doesn't produce what Duff used to the Riverside will be awash with murmours of discontent, the second time they'll want the poor guy slung out of the club.

Yeah, that pesky crowd eh?  :sarc:

Ah yes! - But it didn't stop Wilcox though did it? (Although they did try). All you need is someone who is as stubborn as a mule (i.e. a "handbag") or as thick as pig **** or someone with immense skill. My money's on one of the first two.

Agree with FLB (can't agree with rover6 - doesn't feel right) we should at least try and get a left winger in. You know, stretch the game a bit, make the defence work, create space, add balance, and get crosses in, that sort of thing.

Who knows the "wingers" (sorry, I know we don't say that word anymore) may even drop back in and provide cover for the defence.

How bizarre.

I think it's going to be very interesting to see what Souness does at the end of the season. it looks as though there won't be huge amounts to spend and any improvement in the squad might well be down to having to improve players.This is not Souness's forte.

I may be in the minority Rover 6 but you have a point.

Souness claimed it was detrimental to have 2 wingers, we now have none and the defensive record isn't any better.

Just because we can't get anyone on the left wing as good as Duff doesn't mean we shouldn't have anyone there at all. Even if we can't have Duff's trickery and delivery we still need someone who can knock a cross in every now and then. Is Steven Reid really a left midfielder?

For a large chunk of this season the opposition has just needed to keep Emerton quiet to completely dull our attacking edge. No wonder we have had to see countless balls played into the feet of our forwards with their back to goal, there had been no width to the team and hence no other means of delivery into the box except from the right. That interested me about attempting to bring in McBride; why bring in a target man if you have few means to send in high crosses?

We don't need a Giggs on the left, just someone who can give us a bit of variety. Or even bring in a left back and shove Gresko forward where, as a former attacking wingback, he should have no problems. Gresko has often looked better going forward this season than when he has to defend anyway.    

As for Alan Mahon, he may not be the answer but surely he deserves more of a run than just a few games before being hauled off at half time?

I agree and disagree FLB.  We certainly lack balance and width on the left and Souness has to be blamed for not replacing Duff.  But we also lack variation up front and pace in midfield.  

When Yorke and Cole play together they both like the ball either played to feet or just in behind the defender.  This would be OK if we then had players out wide or runners from midfield that they could lay the ball off to.  Unfortunately though Cole and Yorke frequently find themselves isolated and consequently lose the ball.

In addition, because our midfield's only option when in possession is to play the ball straight to Yorke or Cole, who are usually tightly marked, they also lose possession.

I watched the Bolton game tonight and Kevin Davis was magnificent (there's a phrase I never thought I'd write!).  he's exactly what we need up front, a big, hard-working centre forward who can give us variations to our play.  He runs into the channels, wins flick-ons and generally messes the opposition about to the extent where they start to panic.  A player like Davis would give our midfield far more options and would also bring the best out of his striking partner (Cole would have a field day playing alongside Davis).

Scotty - I agree a Davies and Cole partnership would be ideal - that's why I'm disappointed with the McBride thing - he sounded ideal.

Cole & Yorke together, for me, is a complete nightmare. You know what you're going to get - and it ain't much variety. "Ball into feet please" or "Ball just behind the defence please thank you please" - otherwise they ain't bothered.

They're better when they they don't play together - if you see what I mean. I'd be more than happy if Yorke (or Cole, believe it or not) was to leave in this window and we could replace with a "worker" of a CF.

They're better when they they don't play together - if you see what I mean. I'd be more than happy if Yorke (or Cole, believe it or not) was to leave in this window and we could replace with a "worker" of a CF.

Although I agree Yorke and Cole are better when they don't play together (make up your own further puns/double entendres), I'd hate to see Cole to be the one to go if either did leave. Cole actually has some pace about his game, even if he isn't as quick as he once was. Yorke has great touch but just seems stationary beside Cole at times. Maybe it's just the way he plays, maybe he really is lazy or maybe the weight of his huge white teeth slow him down.

Scotty - I agree we could do with a big, powerful target man stuck up front alongside Cole but then again we need width to play to his strengths. Otherwise we'll rely on long punts up front from the goalkeeper to be nodded on and frankly aspiring to be the new Everton doesn't appeal too much.

We probably need both but whether we can get both is doubtful. Souey is going to have to see if he can unearth any gems in the bargain bin. To be fair to the man, he has done it before. Someone like Yordi on loan would do fine until the end of the season. Not a lot of skill I grant you but at least he knew how to put himself about and rattle the namby pamby opposition defenders.

Ah yes! - But it didn't stop Wilcox though did it? (Although they did try). All you need is someone who is as stubborn as a mule (i.e. a "handbag") or as thick as pig **** or someone with immense skill. My money's on one of the first two.

Agree with FLB (can't agree with rover6 - doesn't feel right) we should at least try and get a left winger in. You know, stretch the game a bit, make the defence work, create space, add balance, and get crosses in, that sort of thing.

Who knows the "wingers" (sorry, I know we don't say that word anymore) may even drop back in and provide cover for the defence.

How bizarre.

see BobF

I knew you where taking it all in over the years - and I'm not having that LSD excuse :D

Weird this  with many agreeing with Rover6 -I also agree except for the Duff bit.

There is no way we could replace him - what we didn't do was get in somebody who could play at least half decent on the left and was left footed - that way we would not have had to have changed anything  major this season and could have carried on as was , as the balance would still have been there.

As far as I see it, we still haven't done that (no way is Reid a left sided player) and Mahon has not been given a chance which has led to the number of different variations we have had to the team this season and contributed to our problems.

What worries me about the whole left sided midfielder problem is that it isn't the first time such a situation has occurred. Last season until Gresko came we played without a proper left back. Granted Bjornebye was injured but it still shouldn't happen.

It's a tad worrying that Souness seems to forget about certain positions for part of a season.

What worries me about the whole left sided midfielder problem is that it isn't the first time such a situation has occurred. Last season until Gresko came we played without a proper left back. Granted Bjornebye was injured but it still shouldn't happen.

It's a tad worrying that Souness seems to forget about certain positions for part of a season.

Maybe he gets his Left and Right mixed up...?

Someone comes along with a right-sided midfielder for sale and Souey says "Oooh! I don't think I have one of those, I'll take it!" only to get back to Ewood and find he already has three.

Someone comes along with a right-sided midfielder for sale and Souey says "Oooh! I don't think I have one of those, I'll take it!" only to get back to Ewood and find he already has three.

:D

Maybe we should get Jimmy Crickett to be our next manager.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.