BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Group C

I simply don't understand how it worked that no matter the score in the Italy game, if the Denmark-Sweden game finished 2-2, Denmark and Sweden will go through. It made sense as it actually worked out as they both had a better goal difference, however, had Italy won 5-1 they would have had a better goal difference than the Danes, yet would not have gone through. Could someone please explain?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply don't understand how it worked that no matter the score in the Italy game, if the Denmark-Sweden game finished 2-2, Denmark and Sweden will go through. It made sense as it actually worked out as they both had a better goal difference, however, had Italy won 5-1 they would have had a better goal difference than the Danes, yet would not have gone through. Could someone please explain?

Its done on results against the teams with the same number of points. But Italy,Denmark and sweeden all drew with each other so then it went to how many goals the teams scored during those 2 draws. So with Italy only scoring 1 goal against sweeden and none against denmark a draw with more goals between denmark and sweeden would send them through. Hope that helps

It might seem stupid but Italy have actually gone out on goal difference, it wouldn't have mattered if they had scored more but the fact that they didn't means they just weren't good enough.

It's rare for me to agree with Andy Townsend but i'm glad Italy are out as well. They are consistently the most negative team in the tournament and it will be a better tournament without them.

Disagree, now we'll see a tournament without some of the best individual players in the world, such as Nesta, Cassano, Cannavaro, Del Piero, TOTTI, Fiore etc., replaced with boring, boring Dahl Tomasson... feel sorry for Italy, they deserved better.

Disagree, now we'll see a tournament without some of the best individual players in the world, such as Nesta, Cassano, Cannavaro, Del Piero, TOTTI, Fiore etc., replaced with boring, boring Dahl Tomasson... feel sorry for Italy, they deserved better.

WTF?! Feel sorry for the cheating @#/?s of Italy?!

Italy was NOT good enough to go through, end of story!!

Oh yeah Dahl Tomasson was really boring when he cracked that one in from thirty yards wasn't he rolleyes.gif . You may enjoy watching techincally gifted players pass the ball in their own half for 5 minutes, I on the other hand prefer to see attacking football.

Incidentally did you see the game tonight? Fiore was awful and he was one of the better players for Italy. Haven't been good enough and quite frankly deservedly out.

That is total nonsene, Italy are horrible to watch. They have big name players - so what? They don't produce anything, there's only so much pleasure I get from seeing a name on a shirt, after that I need to see good football.

Denmark have some excellent individual players, at least in this tournament. Tomasson, Gravesen, and it's always exciting to watch Rommedahl, Grönkjaer and Jörgensen down the wings. Except for when it's 1-1 and you so desperately need a point.

Anyway, tomorrow ALL newspapers in Italy will be filled with how the game was fixed etc. But noone who watched the game can say that. I mean why would Denmark let us score and thus have to play the Czechs? And why would Grönkjaer do everything in his power to get Edman a yellow card?

If they were that good, then they would be in the quarter finals along with those world class players in the Spain squad.

To be honest I’m not really bothered that there out. It’s been happening for some time now, the style of Italian football. It works at club level and Champions League as they have enough games in the course of the season or competition to sit back defend and then hit the side on the counter attack and get an away goal.

In International Tournaments such as Euro 2004 they can’t. The invite pressure onto themselves and know that they have to attack. I’ve seen two of their games and Zambrotta to me has looked the threat.

Anyway, it’s another big nation out and it’s opens a bigger chance for England to win it, let’s hope the Dutch are out tomorrow night.

Italy 2-1 Bulgaria

I think we have a Norwegian here, who's jealous that two of his neighbouring countries have both gone through.

I do feel bad that Italy didn't go through but they've only got themselves to be blamed. They played a formation that didn't suit any of their players and they didn't have anyone who looked like he could pop up and score a goal like Tomasson or Larsson. Very disappointed with Vieiri and Del Piero along with Raul and you can see why those countries aren't in the quarterfinals.

It's a shame Italy are out, not because I enjoy watching them so much, but because they are Italy. I know this will put much of the messageboard in a total uproar, but would you rather have England beat Sweden or Italy? Which would have meant more? There is no doubt that Sweden have played the better football, but to be honest the Italians have also been unlucky, if they had scored more goals during the first hour of the Denmark game, something that they really should have done, we wouldn't even be talking about this, and to be honest we might not have even been talking about a "boring" Italian side.

but to be honest the Italians have also been unlucky, if they had scored more goals during the first hour of the Denmark game, something that they really should have done, we wouldn't even be talking about this,

But they didn't, so they are out.

End of story, every team knew the rules so there's no point is Italy getting all huffy.

BTW Did anyone else hear Clive "that wonderful night in Barcelona" Tyldsley, commentating on the end of match celebrations after the Sweden Denmark match?

The Danish team, after some of them had swapped shirts with the Swedes, were busy saluting their fans.

"It looks like a joint Scandinavian tonight" wittered Clive, and then went on to gibber something about the yellow and red being an "orange" celebration.

Yes Clive, but only if some of them had swapped their shorts and some others has swapped their socks.

Silly sod.

The blunt nature of your response Colin makes football discussion rather pointless doesn't it? You lose you lose oh well? Why do we discuss Rovers' results then, we should all just say, "Oh well, we lost, the players knew that could happen, weren't good enough, end of story". Or do the rules change when it's a team you support?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.