Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it always happen to me ?

I've just had a phone call (quite late it is as well !) saying that a man 'in the know' has let it out that we are trying to get Dalglish and Shearer !!

If not Dalglish and Newell !

Don't shoot the messenger

Why do you do it to yourself Brownie?

Yes but why did the phone call have to happen ?

I've just put £20 at 70-1 on Betfair just in case !

I was thinking about the Mark Hughes thing. He certainly would prove an attraction for players out for sheer respect and what he has done.

Only question mark would be coming into club management, also didnt realise he's been Wales gaffer for 5 years!

What about a foreign gaffer? (Not Houllier). There is bound to be interest in the job from abroad (due to the good rate of pay etc), so I hope that Rovers don't write off this possibility. I admit that there's been some bad foreign managers (Gross, Gullit etc) but there's been some good one's (Luca Vialli, Wenger and now possibly Santini). I'm not advising Rovers to appoint somebody who isn't Brittish, I just hope that we consider all applicants. A coach with ideas from abroad could possibly be a breath of fresh air-however I do admit that it would be a big risk-whoever it could be. On the subject of Jewell, I'm not sure about him, he kept Bradford afloat, and is doing well now, but he doesn't have the credentials in my eyes to manage a team like Rovers who should be pushing for the top 10.

According to tomorrow's Sun, Mick McCarthy is a target for Rovers to replace Souness.

He may have applied for the job but I doubt he's a "target" Jim.

I've just had £15 on McCarthy at 100-1

and £20 on Dalglish at 70-1

McCarthy is now 85-1, Kenny is 25-1.

How about it? We've been linked with just about every manager there is now. We are not going for either of those, they are not high profile enough (Dowie) or not good enough (McCarthy).

After thinking about it since yesterday, I've come to the conclusion that with the current candidates I think maybe the french "git" Houllier may be the best option. There are still a few worries about him though, as there are with all candidates IMO. He's not the best motivator. At the end of his tenure he had managed to remove any hint of self belief from several players, such as Owen, Riise, Kewell, Baros. He also doesn't tend to play attractive football. But we have to remember what he's achieved at Liverpool. It is quite impressive, and he probably went past his sell by date there a bit like Souness did here.

At the moment I can't see a better option that would be realistic, but that's sure to change by tomorrow or the day after. biggrin.gif

According to tomorrow's Sun, Mick McCarthy is a target for Rovers to replace Souness.

Sun's words, not mine.

There are no quotes with the story so I wouldn't put any money on it....

....unlike Brownie!

Sun's words, not mine.

There are no quotes with the story so I wouldn't put any money on it....

....unlike Brownie!

Is there no mention of Strachan in tomorrows Sun ?

I've now got money on Strachan,Dalglish, Moyes and McCarthy !

Mark Hughes or Mike Newell for me please...

Houllier - a backward step

McCarthy - relegation time

Reid - No thanks

Jewell - bit like Keegan good at getting promotion, but no top flight pedigree

Strachan - perhaps but if he does well off he goes to Scotland!!

I believe its Mark Hughes but at present deciding on Welsh job half done, the decision is his..

Right then. It’s a bit frantic on here at the minute ain’t it?

So, who do I want? While it’s dangerous and probably a stupid thing to do I really don’t want Hoddle, Advocat, or Houlier. Basically for the reasons that most people have already given so I’ll not repeat them.

Similarly the names Sturrock and McCarthy have also been banded about. I don’t think we can take those seriously.

This means that if one of the above becomes manager I look a complete fool. I then have to pretend I never posted this and state that it’s a great move for the club etc. The daft thing is I will as well. I try to be an optimistic supporter you see.

There is also this new rumour of Dalglish & Newell or Shearer. I wouldn’t mind that at all but I can’t see that happening. Does Kenny need this hassle anymore? – I somehow doubt it. This is Shearer’s last season – if he came he wouldn’t be able to play until January (I’m sure I’m right in saying this) which would surely rule him out. Newell would probably be up for it though (although I don’t hink he has enough experience to do the job on his own).

You then have Dowie and Jewell who although are good managers aren’t really what we’re looking for I’d imagine. There are good posts knocking around about players choosing to sign for a more “recognised” manager.

Also, before I forget, Sir Bobby Robson. The irony - but again I can’t see any chance of that happening. Give him a three year contract and after about two years he may start getting the names of the player’s right. We don’t have that time. (2006/07 Season - “Tony – let’s fetch that Oysterhausen on up front”)

However, it can only really be down to two names IMO – predictably the bookies favourites as well.

Strachan did a good job at Southampton as far as I could tell. I wouldn’t mind seeing him here at all.

BUT…it's looking like Mark Hughes. Although questioned on it today he never actually said… “no way, forget it, I’m not interested, I’m going to see this World Cup campaign out”. He just said that he was concentrating on tomorrows match.

Previously on this thread John also revealed that Hughes has been in the Wales hot seat for 5 years now. He might consider this to be the right time to make the transition.

There is no way that he’ll make the move from being Manager of Wales to one of the “Big” Premier League clubs, if he is ambitious Hughes will need to start a little lower down and make a name for himself. If that means coming to Blackburn Rovers, winning a couple of FA Cups, a UEFA Cup and enjoying several seasons in Europe then so be it.

So there you have it. Of course all this late night twisted logic suggests that Hoddle will be our new manager by lunch time tomorrow and I’ll have to go and buy a gun ready for the Portsmouth match.

Very ironic that the man who once stabbed Jack Walker in the back by changing his mind on becoming Rovers manager could be instramental in the appointment of Rovers new manager.

Within the next month Wales play 3 WORLD CUP qualifying games, N.Ireland tomorrow night followed by the clash against Svens brat pack. The failure to pick up maximum points could sway Hughes into going into club management.

Can we wait untill the middle of October ohmy.gif

Can we wait untill the middle of October ohmy.gif

No.

If we get Hughes then I suspect he'll still be the Wales manager part-time until the 2006 World Cup.

Strachan just seems to be the obvious choice for me. I guess it depends on whether he wants it though.