BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

Please please please not Hoddle!!!

My immediate hope for new boss was Hughes or Strachane in that order.

I then considered Allardyce. I think there would be some interest from him. He knows he's got more ability and talent to work with at Rovers and he wouldnt have to move home (possibly why he ruled out moves elsewhere).

As has already been said, he tries his best to get his teams to play attractive football and he does go after a lot of big names. Only problem is they're even older than the one's Souey was after.

I couldnt cope with being the laughing stock a la notlob and spuds

Curbishley would be an excellent move but very much doubt he'd leave London especially when he know's theres bigger fish out there for him in the near future.

My choice - Hughes, with an old favourite as no. 2. Hendry or Newell!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be ars3d scrolling through all of this forum so forgive me if I bring up a previous topic but has anybody mentioned a combination of managers like Mike Newell and Bobby Robson. Dont know how Mike Newell did last season but hes on fire at the moment - hes got a team like Luton to the top of league 1 and there still unbeaten. That aint really a bad record in a league with teams like Sheff wed, Barnsley, Huddersfield etc. And who better is there to help him into the premiership than Sir Bobby! I would also like to see Jewell because he has taken wigan from mid table division 2 -top of the championship. Hes also made some pretty good signings in Ellington, Roberts, Bullard, Teale and Filan. I cant believe that someones mentioned colin hendry lets face it hes nowhere near league 1 standard never mind the premiership!

Wigan Athletic boss Paul Jewell has distanced himself from speculation linking him with the managerial vacancy at Blackburn.

He is one of the early names in the frame to replace Graeme Souness who left Rovers yesterday to take over at Newcastle United.

Former Latics striker Mike Newell, now in charge at Luton, and Wales chief Mark Hughes are others who have already been linked with the post at Ewood Park.

Jewell told the Evening Post: "There's nothing to comment on as far as I'm concerned.

"I'm happy at Wigan, the club is moving forward all the time, and until someone tells me differently, I'm the manager here."

With Latics currently leading the Championship table, Jewell is highly regarded in the game.

Please please please not Hoddle!!!

My immediate hope for new boss was Hughes or Strachane in that order.

I then considered Allardyce. I think there would be some interest from him. He knows he's got more ability and talent to work with at Rovers and he wouldnt have to move home (possibly why he ruled out moves elsewhere).

As has already been said, he tries his best to get his teams to play attractive football and he does go after a lot of big names. Only problem is they're even older than the one's Souey was after.

I couldnt cope with being the laughing stock a la notlob and spuds

Yeah but Allardyce goes for those types of players because that's what he's limited to at Bolton isn't he? At least here there'd be a bit more money to spend, and I think Allardyce would be an excellent appointment if we could get him.

Personally I'd like to see Strachan in charge - he's managed a premiership team on a budget before and got them firing. He seems the most qualified for the job.

Someone with the experience at managing at the highest level on a budget, and NO not Hoddle! Nor Houllier for me, or Evans. Venables seems to have his problems, but he's a good manager - but would he be what we need. Bryan Robson likes to bring in too many expensive unproven foreigners. Curbishley would be a good second behind Strachan imo.

Perhaps Megson should come into the running? He wouldn't be expensive.

What Jewell has actually said does not add up to him ruling himself out. In fact, a bit like Mark Hughes in his guarded statement of the obvious.

As for JW saying he is only looking at those who apply, he is hardly going to say he is willing to raid every managerial office in the land is he? There is the little matter of compensation to be considered. No doubt a trusted third party is making discrete enquiries in the directions the Rovers board deem fit.

quite how you would receive 20 postal applications for a job on the same day as it becomes available is beyond me.

They have these things over here called FAX machines you can send things like job applications in seconds. I'm surprised they have not caught on over there yet.

quite how you would receive 20 postal applications for a job on the same day as it becomes available is beyond me.

They have these things over here called FAX machines you can send things like job applications in seconds. I'm surprised they have not caught on over there yet.

Facetiousness aside, I said "postal applications" because that's exactly what they were described as in the article I was referring to. Postal meaning sent by post. Not by fax. Didnt really think it was all that ambiguous.

Ha HA USA Blue don't know how long since you visited these shore but we are still using pigeons laugh.gif

don't you think JW would have been otherwise occupied dealing with the resignation than new applications? seemed a bit quick for them to have had that many applications especially as it had only just been confirmed that Souness had resigned.

Now who said anything about Roswell wink.gif

I can't believe Curbishley is on such relatively short odds. Without wanting to do Rovers down I can't see what would tempt him from Charlton, a club of similar size and standing, argueably a little more established in mid table and certainly having a better time of it right now.

Sure money talks, but it's not like he's going to get a bigger transfer budget or significantly more cash?

Would be brilliant if we got him though. That asides I'd be cautiously optimistic of a Strachan appointment. Can't see Hughes jumping before the England qualifiers.

Curbishley would've been a fantastic manager for Rovers IMO, we're not too unsimilar to Charlton sizewise (wow, catchy!) and he's done a marvellous job for them. However, it probably won't happen, since I can see no reason for him to leave Charlton NOW, and certainly not to join us.

Curb or O'Neill for Rovers = a very happy Norwegian.

IMO we need a strong and well known manager like Strachan, Curbishley, O'Neill or someone else with a name and a decent track record. I know we most likely dont stand a chance of getting the likes of Curbishley and O'Neill, but my point is that we must NOT do the same mistake as we did when we hired the likes of Kidd, Harford and Hodgson!

As a small club we need a strong well known manager, not an anonymous first division guy!

Do you seriously think a manger like Jewel, Sturrock, Newell or Hoddle could get players like Ferguson and Cole to join Blackburn Rovers?! I dont!

Edited by krislu

Remember, the more names on the list to bet against, the more money the betting companies make. So if Skybet think putting Curbishley on the list is remotely credible, then people will bet for him.

I know this should be a period of high anxiety but I am feeling pretty relaxed. As always, the more I see of John Williams in action for the Rovers, the more impressed I am.

I think we are in safe hands.

Curbishley does seem a bit unrealistic but they havent had the best start to the season, although better than us sad.gif but he may think he has taken charlton as far as he can. Rovers will offer more money, we have a good squad, probably better than charlton and good finances. He may see it as a step in the right direction, charlton were seen by many as possible bottom half of table candidates this season and he will want to go out on a high, they cant hold on to good players, just lost parker and jensen and the singings havent exactly been world class i,e murphy and jeffers!

We will now find out how ambitious the club is. As JW said the most important role he plays along with the directors is in appointing the manager. Tony Parkes has gone on record saying a 'big name' will be appointed. We can read into that what we like but it has to be said there has been some shocking suggestions for our new manager made on here by people who know not much about the way football works and much about our players. Fact is a lot of the players came to the club because of our ex managers burning desire not because of Blackburn. Our fantastic set up is an added bonus but it does not sway players to come here.

I would like the board to really have a go and try to attract a top manager who has some experience of the Prem League.

There is one thing you could never criticise GS for and that was ambition, he obviously doesnt believe the board had the same ideas as he did but he did get a lot of finance to spend so he cant complain too much.

It may be a case of a rocky ship when a new manager comes in so I am making my suggestions on that. Hopefully we target (my opinion here)

1- Curbishley- If you dont try you dont get, but would be unlikely to come.

2- Strachan- Easy to get, no compensation but got an ok record of managing in the Prem.

Cant really think of anyone else because I havent given it much thought but those are the best and maybe realisitc preferences of a manager in work and out of work!