SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One aspect worth remembering is that we have also lost most of the backroom.

Perhaps this will cause the board to lean towards an established Manager who knows what back room team he needs rather than managers who have not had chance to build that sort of team- Newell or Hughes.

I am concerned about the youth set-up which is facing a complete change since before the summer. Not the best way to keep the Academy players loyal to the club.

Incidentally, I will be fascinated to read jim's suggestion for next manager.

Edited by philipl

I really hope we appoint a good motivater along the line's of strachan as we have a better squad than he had with the saints yet they were always a hard to to beat. Also he seems like a manager who makes an effort with the players unlike souness. I don't seem the point of a big name foreign manager as we don't have the quality or money for it too work. Mark Hughes would be good but not sure he'd come to rovers.

nah i dont reckon newell will have the know how or tools. I wouldn't min dspaky hughes at the healm.

ps anyone else in oz sick to the back teeth of arsenal, chelsea, boro and newcastle being on foxtel every f***ing week?

Edited by stevos

We need to be realistic about what sort of manager we can attract. We are either going to get someone who has a mixed past as manager or a promising up-and-coming coach. We aren't going to attract managers who have had a glittering, success-filled career. We may be an attractive proposition for many managers or prospective managers but let's not get silly. Mentioning the likes of Hitzfeld or Eriksson is just a waste of time really as it ain't gonna happen in a month of sundays.

So, we can go for those who have had positive as well as negative times in their career such as Strachan, Worthington (not great at Blackpool), Houllier or Jewell (although to be fair Alex Ferguson wouldn't have been able to do much at Sheff Wed at that time) or the likes of Dowie, Adams, Newell who are too new to the old managerial game to know which way they will ultimately turn out. It'd be nice if we ALL at least got behind the new manager and gave him a chance. Other than perhaps Hoddle (whose comments about the disabled were repugnant) they all deserve that courtesy at least.

I've been thinking though...

You want stability yeah? Someone who is loyal to a club for years and years?

You want to play attractive football, passing the ball around and attacking?

You want a manager who has slowly but surely dragged a team kicking and screaming up the league ladder?

You want someone who puts his faith in the youth setup and brings forward talented young players time after time after time?

You want someone who may not be completely impossible to tempt here?

There's only one man in the English game that possesses all those qualities...

Step forward forward Mr...

Dario Gradi.

First post from me on here and I have quietly been assessing the activity over at Betfair and there is definite signs that the once Rangers manager is perhaps on his way to Ewood Park.

From an initial 38 the Dutchman is now trading at just 14. I am well aware that these markets can sometimes lead one up the wrong path on this occasion I would go as far to say that there is 'something in the pipeline'.

I could well be wrong of course!

Other 'positives' are (relatively I might add)

PAUL JEWELL

PETER READ

'Negatives' (NOT looking like these two will be getting the job)

GERARD HOULLIER

ALEC MACLEISH (out with the washing this one)

LOTC

First post from me on here and I have quietly been assessing the activity over at Betfair and there is definite signs that the once Rangers manager is perhaps on his way to Ewood Park.

Welcome to the board, a good first post.

Sorry but I merged it but we try not to start new posts when there is an existing topic regarding the same item.

cheers Alan

Rovermatt, that is a point I made before Souness left when I was challenged to name serious alternative to Souness.

It is easier to name the clubs paying more to their managers than Souness was paid: Newcastle, Boro, Man U, Brum, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Fulham (perhaps). On that basis, Souness was probably amongst the twenty best paid club managers in Europe whilst he was at Rovers. It also means open season for whoever we want outside the G14 and a few chairmen with more money than sense.

I would guess the Board would like to start the new man on less than Souey was on but even so, it will be enough to be of interest to Hitzfeld, Troussier et al.

From an initial 38 the Dutchman is now trading at just 14. I am well aware that these markets can sometimes lead one up the wrong path on this occasion I would go as far to say that there is 'something in the pipeline'.

I could well be wrong of course!

Other 'positives' are (relatively I might add)

PAUL JEWELL

PETER READ

'Negatives' (NOT looking like these two will be getting the job)

GERARD HOULLIER

ALEC MACLEISH (out with the washing this one)

LOTC

As my gambling habits focus on an occassional Grand National office sweepstake and a raffle ticket at the cricket club annual prize night....................could someone please explain how Betfair works? I don't see any odds that I recognise in the traditional sense........2/1 etc sad.gifrolleyes.gif

It would be good to be able to keep up with this! huh.gif

Just not Houlier - please

In a small town club you need a big personality and plenty charisma to have the guts to take on the big guns - someone like Strachan would be ideal and Shearer definitely doesn't have the right make up to be a good manager. . . haven't seen any talk about Colin Hendry yet but must surely be an outsider??? tinykit.gifph34r.gif

Luis Fernández. Plenty of international experience in France and Spain, as player and manager. One of the ebst managers i've ever seen, he won leagues and European trophies with PSG before coming to take charge of Athletic de Bilbao, runner-up with no foreigners at all in 1997-98, and later he saved Espanyol from relegation. He took the team absolutely sunk and saved the season miracolously. But he hasn't any experience in the Premiership and don't know if he knows English.

Only dreaming.

I only ask for one thing to the new manager. A little bit more confidence in the young players than Graeme had. They're the best we ha in the squad IMHO.

As my gambling habits focus on an occassional Grand National office sweepstake and a raffle ticket at the cricket club annual prize night....................could someone please explain how Betfair works? I don't see any odds that I recognise in the traditional sense........2/1 etc sad.gifrolleyes.gif

It would be good to be able to keep up with this! huh.gif

Betfair is a bit different in terms of betting, basically you aren't betting against the bookie as in traditional betting, you are betting against other people.

You can choose either to back soemthing (which is traditional betting) or to lay something (which is what a bookie would do).

Crap explanation by me - so (courtesy of betfair)

When you back an outcome, you want that outcome to happen. For example, if you back Henman at Odds of 3.1 for £100, you want Henman to win. Your total return if he wins, is £310 (including your stake), and your maximum loss is £100 (your stake).

Laying an outcome is the opposite of backing it: it is betting that an outcome will NOT happen. This is what bookmakers traditionally do. For example, if you lay Derby County at Odds of 4.0 for £100, you think it is sufficiently unlikely that Derby will win that you offer Traditional Odds of 3/1 against it. Your total return, if Derby lose or draw, is £100 (i.e. the stake), and your maximum loss is £300 (which is what you would have to pay out). In effect you are accepting other people's bets who want Derby to win.

So where odds are quoted as 3. That would be the same as 2/1. (ie bet £100 - win £200 plus your stake back)

It has to be Strachan or Sparky for me. Strachan's my preferred option - his post match interviews should keep us all entertained. wink.gif

Jewell or Newell may well do a job for us but I have my doubts about them right at this moment. In a few years time maybe...

The one person I could not stand to see as manager is Hoddle. I can't see him doing a job at Rovers (or anywhere else for that matter).

The vibes at games - home and away - have been very different from what is portrayed on these pages. A few individuals have made this forum into an anti-Souness collective and anyone who uses this as their sole window onto the Rovers world is not getting the real picture. He may not be as popular now as he was after promotion, Cardiff and 6th in the league, but the vast majority of Rovers fans remained solidly behind Souness.

Thanks Tris. It maybe you just telling me what I wanted to hear, but I am still glad I've heard it. Reading this page, I was quite dejected at the number of supporters so against someone who was great for the club. I kept telling myself, 'surely this isn't indicative of the wider support base', and at least you cast the first contrary argument to all those that thought Souness had passed his expiry date.

Just had a call from my mate who works in the media and he says there is only name in the frame and he's asked me to lump a bet on Betfair for him.

(And he's a tightarse !)

Strachan is the man.

Betfair offering 7-1 , get on while you can !