BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

Had a text this morning off flits mate and he reckons peter reid is talking to us afternoon....hope he is taking the p$$$.

houllier no way!!!!!!grrrrrrrrr

whoever we get the wingers have a new king to winge at!

guiiillet?

Must admit Peter Reid came to my mind, we wanted him a few years ago.

Terrible appointment that would be though, doesn't bear thinking about sad.gif

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love Ranieri to come if that was possible

Sure, why wouldn't anyone in their right mind leave the reigning UEFA Cup champions with players like Ayala, Albelda, Baraja, Fiore, Vicente, Rufete, Aimar, Corradi, Mista, Cañizares and Di Vaio to go to sunny Lancashire and the mighty Rovers??? And after just a few months in charge too.

The "fancy foreigner". Never. John Williams isn't stupid.

Yeah the Arsenal directors were so incredibly stupid when appointing Wenger sad.gif What were they thinking???? We all know that only the English can manage clubs well, just look at all the international trophies won by English managers!!! I really don't like when people here (Or on other predominantly British boards) slag off people simply for being foreign. Hitzfeld, who's had one of the hardest and most prestigious jobs in European football (Bayern München) for many years is obviously someone we don't want at Ewood, he's just a useless foreigner rolleyes.gif

Had a text this morning off flits mate and he reckons peter reid is talking to us afternoon....hope he is taking the p$$$.

houllier no way!!!!!!grrrrrrrrr

whoever we get the wingers have a new king to winge at!

guiiillet?

Must admit Peter Reid came to my mind, we wanted him a few years ago.

Terrible appointment that would be though, doesn't bear thinking about sad.gif

we probably have been talking with him. Along with every manager who has put in an application.

I'd love to know who are the applicants so far. Report say 12 applicants, maybe half of them are ones we have thought of. I'd say it includes:

1. Bryan Robson (desperate, applies for everything. Probably forced to apply on his Jobseekers Allowance form)

2. Mike Newell (we could do worse)

3. Stan Ternent (yea right. Dream on, dingle)

4. Craig Brown (no thanks)

5. Walter Smith (see Craig Brown)

In other words, I'd be surprised if Strachan, Hughes, Venables, Moyes or any of the other more capable suggestions have thrown their hat in the ring.

I predict another long tenure for Tony Parkes. We might even see players starting in the positions they were bought to play in!

Had a nice wager on Strachan at 7-1

11/2 Hughes

6/1 Paul Jewell, Gerard Houllier

7/1 Strachan

9/1 Mike Newell

12/1 Kenny Dalglish, David O'Leary, Dean Saunders, Alan Shearer

14/1 George Graham, David Moyes, Tony Parkes

20/1 Glenn Hoddle, Terry Venables

25/1 Bryan Robson, Sir Clive Woodward

33/1 Colin Hendry, Sir Bobby Robson

40/1 Sam Allardyce.

Yeah the Arsenal directors were so incredibly stupid when appointing Wenger sad.gif What were they thinking???? We all know that only the English can manage clubs well, just look at all the international trophies won by English managers!!! I really don't like when people here (Or on other predominantly British boards) slag off people simply for being foreign. Hitzfeld, who's had one of the hardest and most prestigious jobs in European football (Bayern München) for many years is obviously someone we don't want at Ewood, he's just a useless foreigner rolleyes.gif

I guess I must clarify myself here. I do not think that only English/British people can manage teams. I am merely stating that for a club of our meagre stature a well known foreign coach would not fit in. We are a very close knit small East Lancashire club. We are not in London. If you've ever visited I hope you'd see that straight away. London caters to the world, it has everything anybody wants, East Lancs has never been labelled as cosmopolitan; not from my experience anyway. Wenger has done well at Arsenal: I'm not having a go at foreign managers, I'm just saying that it takes a special type to understand the locals and what they want. Hitzfeld is a good manager too, but you won't find many German brasseries on Darwen street. Manchester is the closest big city, it is having a resurgence but it's nowhere near London as a cultural melting pot. I cannot remember what your fellow countryman, Martin Dahlin, said after his very unsuccessful spell at Ewood but it wasn't very flattering toward East Lancashire and its people.

As for the predominantly British boards slagging off non-Brits. What do you expect? Everyone sticks up for their own kind, but that is another thread on another board.

The best indication of who will come is on Betfair. That is the 1st place you will see action.

Souness' price fell all weekend.

Hughes is currently 6-1 with Strachan 7-1.

No betting on Shearer or Dalglish

Newell 7-1, Houllier 12-1 and Jewell 16-1

Talk Sport at this moment are discussing the situation and quote Strachan as saying he's not interested in the Scotland job for at least 4 years .

Incredibly Souness is on a 5 year contract at newcastle ; could be very expensive for them if he doesn't perform quickly , with an already suspicious Geordie crowd "behind" him.

I would love it to be Martin O Neill, but I think it could be one from a few.

Houllier, Bobby Robson, Mike Newell, Mark hughes

Nice to see Parkes reinstated as the caretaker manager.

Lets see all the players that have fallen out with souness back in the squad.

Andy Todd and Gally welcome back. rover.gif

Hope it is not Ternant!!!!

Does anyone have any stats for Strachan that include money spent etc? Because I'm still very confused about where he has this good reputation from, e.g. if you look at the current Soton team that he built.

I hope we get some idea of who the board is going to appoint before it's set in stone, in case we get the same level of completely underwhelming candidate that Newcastle fans have got (vs. who they could have got), so we can try to make the board realise the error of any appalling decisions, e.g. Walter Smith or Bryan Robson. From the reaction of Newcastle fans, I still wonder whether Souness will get sacked before he even starts!

I guess I must clarify myself here. I do not think that only English/British people can manage teams. I am merely stating that for a club of our meagre stature a well known foreign coach would not fit in. We are a very close knit small East Lancashire club. We are not in London. If you've ever visited I hope you'd see that straight away. London caters to the world, it has everything anybody wants, East Lancs has never been labelled as cosmopolitan; not from my experience anyway. Wenger has done well at Arsenal: I'm not having a go at foreign managers, I'm just saying that it takes a special type to understand the locals and what they want. Hitzfeld is a good manager too, but you won't find many German brasseries on Darwen street. Manchester is the closest big city, it is having a resurgence but it's nowhere near London as a cultural melting pot.  I cannot remember what your fellow countryman, Martin Dahlin, said after his very unsuccessful spell at Ewood but it wasn't very flattering toward East Lancashire and its people.

I know you probably weren't saying that, but putting it that way makes the point come across much clearer wink.gif

Just like there's a big difference between Lancashire (And yes, I've been there. Only once though, for the Leicester game last season. I'll go again if we have a looong run without home wins wink.gif) and London, there's a big difference between Stockholm and, say, Bjurträsk. Maybe all those years in Rome and London has changed SGE, but seeing where he grew up (Torsby, Värmland) and really started his coaching career (Here in Gothenburg) I don't think he'd find Lancashire bad at all. Can't say I know enough about Hitzfeld to say he's the same, but I'd suspect that the Ruhr area (And others) in Germany are quite similar to Lancashire.

Oh btw, I've never been to Liverpool, but as they can attract players/manager, then so whould we (Ofcourse taking into account that our club doesn't enjoy the same reputation) seeing as it's not far away and, from what I've heard, certainly not the nicest of places. Obviously people are different, but I certainly don't go to a Swedish/typical N. European resturant if I'm abroad. Not that the food is bad, it's just that I'm not in Sweden. Some people enjoy the differences.

My impression of Lancashire was that the people were really friendly, the surroundings were quite nice for the most part but that the cities, buildings etc were... let's just say that I've seen nicer wink.gif

Martin Dahlin has always been a bit of a ###### tho.

EDIT: The "slagging off" part too; I know everyone sticks up for their own, but if we were to keep this football-related then there's certainly a difference in the attitude towards foreigners between Sweden and the UK. Some of it can ofcourse be attributed to the fact that our league isn't very good and that most foreigners who play here are among the better ones in their teams (You don't really buy someone from abroad to sit on the bench) but not all. If a foreigner fails to do well and is outside the team just picking up their paychecks, you don't automatically get the "lazy, useless foreign @#/?" comments that you would in the PL. You'd hear the same thing if it was a Swedish player, and that would be the above minus the "foreign" part. There's obviously more racism in other aspects of society, but that's best left to another thread as you say.

Edited by Lathund

Have a look at East Lancashire again, blink.gif

I didn't see very much and talk to very many people, so I may have been lucky wink.gif Or maybe it was that I expected it to be REALLY REALLY bad after hearing what people had told me, so that the fact that it wasn't as bad as expected made it look much better?

But we're getting a bit OT now wink.gif

My picks, in order of preference are:

Iain Dowie

Chris Coleman

Luigi Del Neri

Paul Jewell

Jewell is definitely the most realistic. His Wigan team play attractive football with wingers. Seeing as we've just bought Pedersen and have Emerton, it would be stupid to bring in say a 3-5-2 man like Hoddle.

He's got a track record of getting the best out of youngsters, and judging by the rave reports our u18s are getting, we have a great crop of young players who will need to be developed.

He's got a bit of Premiership experience with Bradford, getting promoted and keeping them up was a major feat, even if it delayed the inevitable.

Having worked in the north for all his managerial career, they're should be no problems working for Rovers.

Negatives - Failed at Sheffied Wednesday. May decide he wants to finish off his job at Wigan by getting them up. Wigan will demand compensation - and a lot of it I suspect.

Edited by rover6

John Williams has said there's been over a dozen applications already. He reckons there'll be an appointment not earlier than the Newcastle game.

My preferences :-

Gordon Strachan

Mark Hughes

Chris Coleman

Sam the Walrus from The Breezeblock

Rather not see at Ewood :

Steve McMahon

David Moyes

Houllier (pleas God, no !)

Sir Bobby (sorry, great guy, too old)

Colin Hendry (too inexperienced yet)

Mike Newell (as with Big Col)

Glenda Hobble, Eileen Drury and the God Squad

Ginaluca Vialli

No chance (but would love to see) :

Otto Hitz-what's-his-name

Phillipe Troussier

Frank Rikjaard

Luis Phillipe Scolari

Claudio Ranieri

Only in my worst nightmares :

Sven (with attractive baggage)

Houllier (again)

Stanley Turnip

Paul Sturrock

Neil Warnock

Craig Brown

Grabbi as player manager

Andy Cole / Dwight Yorke (as joint player managers)

The Krankies

Worries :

Souness raiding us in the mid season transfer window (bye bye Ferguson, Stead, Neill and Brad ?)

John Williams having a brainstorm and appointing Houllier

Terry Venables

Hopes :

Souness takes Amoruso with him biggrin.gif

Positives :

Refs might like us again and give us some penalties

Souness has gone stale, lost the dressing room and any tactical nouse he once had has buggered off up Bolton Road. Playing Gresko in midfield FFS !

Dean Saunders and Phil Boersma (AKA Doctor Death) will bog off up the A1. Great !

Cheers !

Accyrover

Edited by accyrover

We should have waived the compensation if Souness took Amoruso with him.

My first choics is Strachan as he is a good laugh but I'm not sure after that. He might be waiting for the Scotland job though which he has been tipped for and will probably be available this week as well.

Worries :

Souness raiding us in the mid season transfer window (bye bye Ferguson, Stead, Neill and Brad ?)

My first thought after I head he was leaving... although, if Emerton left, I wouldnt be too bothered wink.gif

I really fear a bid for Barry Ferguson though. I Cm with Butt and ferguson in it could be lethal, especially behind Kluivert and Bellamy, both who could thrive off of Ferguson's forward movement.

As for next manager, I think there +'s and -'s for a lot of the names (Huhes, Strachan, etc), but god forbit Houllier, El tel or Hoddle take over. Or Robson, for that matter. Personal choice would be Hughes Newell combo. I think what both could bring to the club would be beneficial, and Hughes would be able to keep the Wales job through to failing to qualify for the WC06. Only prob with that is:

a. What'd happen to Parkes... loyal servant of the club cant be fired.

b. Would Newell even consider being a number 2?

My first choics is Strachan as he is a good laugh but I'm not sure after that.

Good reason. huh.gif

Sorry, I don't see Strachan being a good manager. He always struggled with Coventry on tight resources, buying dubious players, and eventually going down and getting the sack.

Imho, his success at Southampton was all down to the good foundations set by Glenn Hoddle. It was Hoddle who revived their fortunes, helped certain players to top form, and Strachan took the credit.

He may be a funny bloke but let's get a serious manager in.

Nigel Worthington (My first choice) or Martin O'Neill, that leaves Nigel Worthington though he is most likely happy where he is.

Strachan? See Coventry City.

Shearer? See Colin Hendry (one many here wanted before)

Newell? Has Possibilities of success and the same possiblities of going tits up

Dowie? Like it.

Megson? Thought you lot did not like demonstrative touchline managers, he would drown out the Blackburn End.

Venables, Not no, but HELL NO

Hoddle, I would not mind, he was actually my first choice when we appointed Souness. Does bring some bad press but I don't have to hear the pisstakes like you lot do.

Hughes, No did well at first but utimately failed when it was theirs to lose, and lose it they did.

Ternent, good bloke for a specific job, we are not that job. Can build a solid squad for a while but dull dumb and boring football is not what we want, plus we have a youth system and Stanleh has a reputation for not liking youth.

Steve McMahon, mmm bit of a gamble did OK at Blackpool but is OK good enough for you lot? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Steve Cotterill, Well he's already been at BUrnleh longer than Stoke has'nt he? (Just Kidding)

My first choics is Strachan as he is a good laugh but I'm not sure after that.

Good reason. huh.gif

Sorry, I don't see Strachan being a good manager. He always struggled with Coventry on tight resources, buying dubious players, and eventually going down and getting the sack.

Imho, his success at Southampton was all down to the good foundations set by Glenn Hoddle. It was Hoddle who revived their fortunes, helped certain players to top form, and Strachan took the credit.

He may be a funny bloke but let's get a serious manager in.

Coventry only went down because they had to sell their star players such as Robbie Keane and Dion Dublin.

And most of saints players were all bought by Gordon Strachen. He also got the best out of Beattie and created a great partnership of Beattie and Phillips.

Didnt he sign their great goalie and players such as Michael Svenson

Also, Steve McMahon did a crap job at Blackpool. They never even challenged for promotion did they!!!

Edited by greggyk