SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Hughes, there's no-one out there with good Premiership credentials, so he's the best there is without credentials.

How can you be the best there is without having credentials? Surely credentials are what seperates the best from the worst?

Sky Sports are saying that Strachan and Mark Hughes are the favourites for the job, but then again David O'Leary was the favourite for the Newcastle job and looked what happened. I'd be happy with either of those two, although Hughes doesn't have experience in managing a club, if he could replicate what he has down with Wales we would be flying. I'm not sure of Mike Newell though. He has done well at Luton and is definately an up and coming manager, but I don't want Rovers to be the club where he sees if he can manage in the Premiership. As I have already said, I don't want Glen Hoddle, Terry Venables, George Graham, Ron Atkinson or Gerard Houllier anywhere near the club.

The best without Premiership credentials. He does have credentials in that he's turned Wales round to an extent (although the result against Azebijan was a little worrying!)

For those with Premiership credentials, none of them inspires. They're all has-beens or never-were's.

The best without Premiership credentials. He does have credentials in that he's turned Wales round to an extent (although the result against Azebijan was a little worrying!)

For those with Premiership credentials, none of them inspires. They're all has-beens or never-were's.

Hughes has a good squad of players with Wales, a squad that should be on the verge of qualification for a major tournament every time. He's hardly worked miracles with them.

Not a shot at you Bryan, just cant understand why so much support for this guy that has exactly zero experience.

You're right about one thing though - the list of potential candidates is hardly awe-inspiring.

I'm honestly struggling to plump for anyone else.

Strachan worries me a little because he didn't set the Premiership on fire (but are we looking for someone who has?!), the only other one would be Dowie, he transformed Palace so fast it's hard to ignore, he seems to have this je ne sais crois about him that indicates a manager who could be successful in the Prem.

I just hope that the board have the sense not to appoint Houllier. ph34r.gif

Blackburn are said to have already received 20 applications for the job, with former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier and former Spurs man Glenn Hoddle both said to be very keen.

Other names in the mix are Coventry boss Peter Reid, Luton manager Mike Newell and Wigan chief Paul Jewell.

Are we really that small a club?? sad.gif

Come on then Betfair Pro's, I have a question.

I have just been looking at the site and it looks like you can basically choose your own odds. How does that work, what happens if I ask for Strachan at 9.00, do I then have to wait and see if anyone will match it???

At the moment it comes up "unmatched", just thought I'd have a bit of a play with it while I'm off work today.

My choice would be Hughes, followed by Strachan & Paul Jewell.

However, I wouldnt want Hughes managing Wales & Rovers... it would be a disaster. You just cant juggle a high profile premiership job and a national job. Even Peter Taylor is struggling at Hull.. they have been rubbish since he took over under 21's too.

They lost 4-0 to Huddersfield on Sunday and he wasnt even there to see it.. he was with England. I know we wouldnt have a game but time spent looking at players for Wales could be used at rovers. Tough choice really.

tinykit.gif

Hughes is quoted on the Beeb site, sounding very unenthusiastic about the job, and he says he doesn't expect a call from us.

Sounds like it's Strachan then! Or perhaps Wally Smith according to the Beeb.

no no no. You have read that wrong Brian

He says ,that for any job he just ignors the speculation and does not anticipate a call and gets on with his current work.

link

The vibes at games - home and away - have been very different from what is portrayed on these pages.  A few individuals have made this forum into an anti-Souness collective and anyone who uses this as their sole window onto the Rovers world is not getting the real picture.  He may not be as popular now as he was after promotion, Cardiff and 6th in the league, but the vast majority of Rovers fans remained solidly behind Souness.

Thanks Tris. It maybe you just telling me what I wanted to hear, but I am still glad I've heard it. Reading this page, I was quite dejected at the number of supporters so against someone who was great for the club. I kept telling myself, 'surely this isn't indicative of the wider support base', and at least you cast the first contrary argument to all those that thought Souness had passed his expiry date.

Shaddy I wouldn't be too sure about this.

Tris as much as I respect your comments I feel this may be a bit understated - but then again it could be down to whoever you speak to, but the feeling was that the solidity had started to melt and even though reluctant, there where many resigned to the fact that Souness 's days where numbered.

Back to the preferred managers though - I find it quite bewildering and comical with regard to the comments made on here and the names being put forward and arguments re experience and then dis others more experinced. Some people seem to think we are a top performing club that will be playing in Europe come next season.

Come on folks lets be realistic - we have apparently no money to spend and are languishing at the bottom of the P/L with the look that we are going to be struggling yet again for another season.

Why the hell then would ….

Curbishley want to come – already at an established club of similar size and standing to Rovers where he has money to spend and looks a lot more stable than us at the moment.

O’Leary – Villa seem to be doing ok with aspirations and looks of getting into Europe– why drop to a club considered ‘smaller’ ?

Worthington/Megson– What’s the point going from a possible relegation fight to another with players you don’t know – again another club of arguably similar size (maybe not standing) - experience?

Dowie – Only one of possibility that would come (family still in the area?) – but yet as above and still has a lot to prove.

Moyes – Might consider it but again would probably want a ‘ bigger’ club unless the situation at Everton is really that bad.

Now for Hughes – how can people say he hasn’t got experience – has played at this level – Manager at International Level with Premiership and lower level players and also does a good job from the resources he has to work with.

Houlier – Initialy I thought whoah!! no way Johnny boy but then when I reflected upon it I thought –possibly has credentials but would he actually be what we need – would we be too boring?

Hoddle – ABSOLUTE NO – Admired as a player but that’s about it – previous comments and actions go against him.

Professor Yaffle – You’re having a joke aren’t ya?– some people have short memories – and why would he come to us anyway? – on a cushy number creaming it from the know F.A to even stop and think about it.

Without doubt the best credentials at the moment stem from Strachan but whoever we appoint is going to be risky.

According to JW , the person they will appoint will be ideally an up and coming manager with experience – doesn’t exactly leave the gate open.

Personally, I think we need somebody who can get the best out of what we have as we not exactly going to be able to attract ‘star’ names so an up and coming manager maybe from the lower leagues is our only chance – somebody who can pick up bargains without the over ego’ wage demands. Dario Gradi is the best I have heard on here but here’s my two penneth for somebody who has not been mentioned….

Stand up Mr Peter Taylor.

Just out off interest - did nobody else pick up on the comment from JW yesterday re the applications - it came across that it would appear they already had them before Souness's resignation - very strange don't you think?

Sounded like Hughes wants the job to me.

As we've learnt in the past, unless the person says ''There is no way I am leaving,'' then they usually are.

I don't expect a call = please give me a call.

I don't deal in ifs and buts = but I will say yes to the actual offer.