Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Savage Signs

neekoy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought you werent coming back. laugh.gif

Those Brummies aren't good at keeping their word. Just look at Bruce at Palace wink.gif

It's funny how Savage was firstly the Messiah for them (And he has been good this season, no doubt about it) and now he's a useless nobody who you're glad to get rid of wink.gif Although I shouldn't take this too far as the opinions about Fergusons contribution to the team has changed drasticly in the last few days as well...

If a player is fit then he can keep playing for a long time. Henrik Larsson (Before his latest injury ofcourse) still plays like he was 20, despite his 33 years. Just to name one... I don't know about Savage, but even if he isn't an exceptionally fit and healthy individual he still has two years at the top level in him. He may well have another two.

How's Savage when it comes to injury proneness? I haven't really kept track of his career very closely but I get the feeling that he's not injured that often, is that right?

While Thommo isn't a great (Or rather, consistent) passer he can certainly create chanses, as seen since his comeback. Such as the two goals vs Brum, Emerton's vs Bolton and MGP vs Pompey. So while we should look at getting a midfielder in the summer (Like Parker) rather than making a hasty decision now. Unless ofcourse Hughes has someone in mind already...

Edited by Lathund

Well Savage has never really had any great pace, so he's never going to lose any general speed.

He should be at the top of his game for around 3 years yet and that £2.5m is worth it, if you think what relegation could do to us.And im sure Savage will now keep us up. Because we are certainly not out of trouble yet guys and girls

Although I shouldn't take this too far as the opinions about Fergusons contribution to the team has changed drasticly in the last few days as well...

That's a fair comment, but....

Someone made an excellent point on here (sorry can't remember who) that a lot of people were trying to believe in their heads that Ferguson was worth his transfer fee (kidding themselves), I suppose I did this to an extent too.

I doubt anyone can hand on heart say he was worth the fee OR that he's lived up to expectations though.

He'd never have fit into the '95 team cos he certainly hasn't got that 'bottle' that Flowers mentioned on VE day.

Very happy with this news. Maybe getting on a bit, but hey Hughesy was about 36 and look how well he played for us (debut and cup final in particular).

We've got ourselves another potential captain who doesn't take any sh!te, but can also play a great game.

Well done Hughesy keep up the good work. Now go for Benni McCarthy and make me cream in my underpants.

brilliant cya sav have fun with bowen and hughes smile.gif

3.2 million for a player who is 31 in 6 months time is good business smile.gif

thank you blackburn for holding on and paying us decent money for him

frees up 30k a week to bring in a midfielder who can actually pass the ball forward smile.gif

Jesus you do yourself no favours do you. This was your 2nd best player of the year as voted by your own fans, even after he handed in a transfer request. As for thanking us. Crikey after all the money you have given us for duds in the last few years you'd do well to keep quiet. Obviously you won't be coming back again so it won't matter.

3.2 million for a player who is 31 in 6 months time is good business smile.gif

thank you blackburn for holding on and paying us decent money for him

frees up 30k a week to bring in a midfielder who can actually pass the ball forward smile.gif

date of birth: 18th october 1974!

6 months hey, thats along 6 months!

seeing as he has scored 4 goals in 18 games he must get forward a wee bit otherwise he couldn't have done that for the club he 'Loves'.

At least we don't have to pay you a ridicuals £3.5million. A deal of £2.5mil + £500k on apps and what we achieve is alot better. Seeing as we have our defensive mid we can now concentrate on getting emmo & MGP forward! You paid £2.5mil you will get that back, can't complain i spose!

Edited by modes98

Assuming he passes his medical, I will be the first to volunteer to chaffeur him in his Lamborghini on the Wrexham run - we must make him feel welcome by matching what he was offered to stay at Brum. rolleyes.gif

I`m happy to have him in the team...but he is a bit of a w@nker though isn`t he.

Don`t care though if he does the biz on the pitch.

If you know what I mean.

Not doing a poo on the pitch, I meant doing the business on the pitch IE playing well and scoring etc.

Not scoring in the drug purchase sense, but getting a few goals for us.

rover.gif can't say i'm happy with lily savage joining the rovers,if he starts his play acting/cheating we will lose more fans than we have already,but and it's a big but hughes can tame him it might be the best transfer since mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tinykit.gif

When it comes to Savage; Hughes and Bowen know him well and have managed him in the Welsh national team. Hughes seemed very determined to get Savage, so I trust that he does know what he's doing and that Savage will do well here.

Keep in mind that Souness had NOT managed Amoruso before signing him, it just so happened that Amo was at Rangers and all Rangers players are good, right? Well, at least they're good for giving that Murray bloke a bit of money every few years...

EDIT: Uhm suddenly I'm not so sure anymore. Surely he hadn't? Bah, never mind me... got three hours sleep last night and it's past midnight, I shouldn't be allowed near the internet atm. I can't think properly :\\

Edited by Lathund

rover.gif can't say i'm happy with lily savage joining the rovers

Congrats Waggy!!!!

First use of the phrase `Lily` in reference to Savage!!

Superb!

You win £5! *

*£5 not actually won, offer made up, your house is at risk if you set fire to it, Ask for written details

Savage is miles better than Ferguson I don't care what anybody says. Ferguson hasn't done much since he has been with the club, I havn't been too impressed. He is overrated and just a normal midfielder. Thinking that Rovers paid 7Million pounds for him makes me wonder what Souness was thinking but then again, I constantly wonder that about all his decisions, including those with his new rubbish club.

he was gagged not to talk to the media until the transfer speculation was resolved

this is perhaps the final sign conceirng the transfer

probably agreed fees and has passed a medical, you are trying to rush the deal so he can play v bolton nxt week

Edited by Izzitnot

he was gagged not to talk to the media until the transfer speculation was resolved

probably agreed fees and has passed a medical, you are trying to rush the deal so he can play v bolton nxt week

If English is your second language, I'm sure that we would be a little more understanding.

If it isn't, please will you expain what

he was gagged not to talk to the media

means.

How's Martin Taylor doing by the way?

Yeh, but we got Robbie Savage

There's no doubt that at face value Brum seem to have extorted a whopping fee out of us for Savage given his age, possibly the majority of it has been off set by the money still owing on Dunn. **

Very pleased the signing seems to be eventually going through though, hopefully Savage will have the sort of galvanising effect on the team Flitcroft and Ferguson never have possessed.

** Come to think of it wouldn't mind taking a leaf out of the Rangers school of transfer thought though. Bid £2.5m for Dunn before the end of the transfer window with a £500,000 by way of cash adjustment actually changing hands!. laugh.gif

Edited by RevidgeBlue

1) you could have quite simply come in beginnning of january and offered £3 million, the club publically stated that was his valuation considering the long term contract but you messed us about as did savage

Karren Brady said that Savage was not for sale at any price, though! "They've (Blackburn have) got into Robbie Savage's head. But he's not for sale - and that's it." http://www1.sbs.com.au/home/index.php3?id=52948

A few reflections:

Some very sharp negotiating behind the scenes by the Rovers team to get Savage for £2.5m plus £500K on appearances if that is the deal.

I would imagine we are picking up the £150K media rights and £60K from the golden handshake unless Savage has a better deal on media rights from the Rovers than Brum were giving him (quite possible as media rights are different from merchandising rights and I would question why a club should get involved in the work a player is doing in what is essentially preparation for retirement other than agreeing it does not interfere with his football duties).

The all up deal is around 80% of Brum's asking price of £3.5m. Newcastle paid 80% of Rangers' £10m asking price for Boumsong- there is the target for Rovers in setting the asking price for Ferguson. I expect Rovers to use some elegant device from the Walkers Trustees being unavailable for a Board Meeting before a week next Friday to politely declining the transfer request to force Rangers' hand in their bidding before naming a price for Ferguson. The "80% rule" means that price has to be more than £8m to drive the settlement above £6.5m.

Everybody can see what Brum did to savage and us. Let that be a warning to Viola if he is thinking of cutting up rough.

Finally back to Savage. This was more a personalised battle for Steve Bruce than anything to do with Brum v Rovers. He lost Bowen in very acrimonious circumstances. Now his best player has moved primarilly because he would prefer to work with Bowen and Hughes than with Bruce.

This must HURT.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.