SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cricket!  I've no problem with celebrating, just think a open top bus tour and a 'ceremony' at Downing Street is a bit over-the-top.  The scenes at The Oval yesterday were brilliant, I just think it might start to look a bit pathetic if we keep milking it...

346740[/snapback]

You'd hate to live in Australia then, with our reactions to Cricket/sporting success.

I also left out the fact that our Prime Minister called it a 'national tragedy' on radio the next moring  laugh.gif  withstupid.gif

346855[/snapback]

I saw his interview where he congratulated the England cricket team. Talk about talking through gritted teeth, he just could not sound sincere. Fortunately the team and its fans have been far more gracious in defeat.

As for those who think the Ashes is a glorified friendly, not as big as a world cup or whatever, well they just dont understand. The Ashes is easily the biggest thing in English and Australian cricket, and whether at the time its the best or worst 2 sides in the world, then each game is played with the same intensity, and has been for many a year.

People like John Howard are a good example of people who don't 'get' sport.

Sport is about winning AND losing.

If you can't lose well at sport (as well as win) then you've missed the whole point.

If all you've ever done in your sporting career is to smash the opposition and win everything at a canter...

...then you have learnt nothing.

pg, in all my sporting career, all I have wanted to do, is smash the opposition, and win at a canter.

Why?

Because it means you have trained for it.

The problem arises when it doesn't happen, then, and only then, you have to accept, with grace, that the opposition was better than you, analyse the mistakes you made and meet the challenge of upping your game the next time you meet.

Despite what you say, there has to be a bit of mongrel in you to get so far.

Having said that, John Howard is an arsehole, fullstop.period.

Well the ashes are over and my life can get back to normal (who are the mighty rovers playing this weekend? some team in black and white?).

It's been a truly amazing summer and one of the greatest sporting spectacles of all time. 2005 will be forever remembered for the feats of sporting prowess of 22 men playing in white.

I am delighted my original prediction that started of this forum has come to pass.

Can this forum be preserved somewhere for posterity?

Well the ashes are over and my life can get back to normal (who are the mighty rovers playing this weekend? some team in black and white?).

It's been a truly amazing summer and one of the greatest sporting spectacles of all time. 2005 will be forever remembered for the feats of sporting prowess of 22 men playing in white.

I am delighted my original prediction that started of this forum has come to pass.

Can this forum be preserved somewhere for posterity?

346869[/snapback]

Message Board Gold

All I'll to the Aussies on here.

You're ancestors were chosen by the best judges in the world.

biggrin.gif

346876[/snapback]

Not quite correct.

White settlers in Australia were hand-picked by the best judges in England.

The real Australians are those dark-skinned chappies in the Outback.

dave - don't confuse my post for 'lacking mongrel'

Sport teaches discipline, commitment... self analysis and courage.

If smashing the opposition into dust is the result of years of hard effort, training... and copping a few hidings on the way... then mission accomplished.

But if you are a 'natural' who never had to work hard... and just bullies people through sport...

..I think you've missed the point.

Boycott made a good point about Giles the other day. Saying how Giles isn't the most talented player, but he has worked hard on the skills he does have.. how he is a thorough professional... and that is what sport is about.

pg, I can't think of anyone who "bullied through sport" Truely.

All the talented people I've played with or against have been doing it for the love of the game. They didn't need to be paid handsomely.

Can you name a high profile sportsperson that has bullied? (By bullied, I presume that you mean "humiliated")

The world is full of those like Giles, Boycott, on the other hand has never explained why he piked out of those Tests.

pg, I can't think of anyone who "bullied through sport" Truely.

All the talented people I've played with or against have been doing it for the love of the game. They didn't need to be paid handsomely.

Can you name a high profile sportsperson that has bullied? (By bullied, I presume that you mean "humiliated")

The world is full of those like Giles, Boycott, on the other hand has never explained why he piked out of those Tests.

346905[/snapback]

I see 'bullies' at amateur indoor games all the time.

Someone like Michael Schumacher has sometimes shown behaviour of a bully.

He thinks he's bigger than the sport, and will run people off the road because he refuses to be beaten.

Granted, these days he's mellowed a bit more than he used to be, but during his 'peak' he was a right arrogant ****.

Anyway.. we're getting off topic now.

People like John Howard are a good example of people who don't 'get' sport.

Sport is about winning AND losing.

If you can't lose well at sport (as well as win) then you've missed the whole point.

If all you've ever done in your sporting career is to smash the opposition and win everything at a canter...

...then you have learnt nothing.

346864[/snapback]

You're spot on there pg, nothing will motivate the Aussies more than seeing all the hype about crickewt in England. Me thinks it might not be as sporting when we go down under next year. They will have learnt an awful lot from this tour and i'm sure it will be another great series when we meet again.

can we leave it open for the "World Series" tour

(note to our American chums - World actually meaning players from around the world playing wink.gif)

347011[/snapback]

I'm going to the ODI on October 4th.

Should be a good one.

BTW the squads for the ODI's and Test can be found here: http://www.abcofcricket.com/Article_Librar.../news100505.htm

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.