SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cricket!  I've no problem with celebrating, just think a open top bus tour and a 'ceremony' at Downing Street is a bit over-the-top.  The scenes at The Oval yesterday were brilliant, I just think it might start to look a bit pathetic if we keep milking it...

346740[/snapback]

Would have to agree.

I know it's been 18 years, but this sort of malarkey is not in keeping with cricket, leave it to the footballers, cricket doesn't need hype.

Playing Jerusalem as we go onto the pitch as well, what the hell is that all about? Should we have fireworks go off every time a wicket falls.

Village greens, stale beer, the Sun setting on the British Empire, the sound of willow on leather. That's cricket. Leave the razzamatazz to the Yanks.

Or will we have an open-bus tour in 18 months time if we retain them?

Playing Jerusalem as we go onto the pitch as well, what the hell is that all about? Should we have fireworks go off every time a wicket falls.

Village greens, stale beer, the Sun setting on the British Empire, the sound of willow on leather. That's cricket. Leave the razzamatazz to the Yanks.

346760[/snapback]

Agreed. Lancashire lightning, Kent Spitfires, Yorkshire Tykes, Scottish saltires, and my 'favourite' Northamptonshire Steelbacks.

"Offence... Offence ... Deefence... Deefence - time out !"

The new ad for bottled water, sorry Budweiser, is spot on. Where they agree not get involved in Footy.

'Nottinghamshire Outlaws' FFS.

God knows what you sad @#/?s would have been like if we'd lost the Ashes. I guess some people just need to be miserable come what may.

We won a brilliant series, everyone in the country seems to be happy about it, so we've milked it for one extra day. Jeez, how dare we!

Edited by Scotty

God knows what you sad @#/?s would have been like if we'd lost the Ashes.  I guess some people just need to be miserable come what may.

We won a brilliant series, everyone in the country seems to be happy about it, so we've milked it for one extra day.  Jeez, how dare we!

346765[/snapback]

On the contrary, I'm well-chuffed that we won.

I just think it's over-the-top.

There's no "one extra day", we've milked it for one day, full stop.

It's the opposite side of the coin to recreational grief ("Princess Di syndrome"), people feel they have to be seen to be celebrating, and the more of a celebration they can make of it, the better.

It comes around every 18 months for gawd's sakes! laugh.gif

Sorry Jim, yet again you show yourself up as the ungracious uncouth bore that youve turned yourself into.

The Aussies have been more gracious than you. I suggest that you grow up or a lonely and bitter old age surely awaits

346754[/snapback]

Flopsy - that hook in your mouth . It's attached to a line .....and at the end of the line .......is jim !

Apparently, the Sydney chapter of the Barmy army is hiring an open-top bus for a triumphal parade around the city this Saturday. They will be looking to rub as much salt into as many Australian wounds as possible and will be stopping at one or two pubs along the way.

Sounds like fun.

No way.

Looking at the uncouth way people like Jim are reacting and the over the top celebrations via the television I'll stick to the more humble civilised country if that's okay with you.

346793[/snapback]

The gloating of Jim and the celebrations in London seeming very over-exaggerated. It must make your Australian blood boil.

How many Brits made it to work yesterday?

The vast majority of us. You see, we have a work ethic over here, and a sense of right and wrong. It's what sets us apart from you lot. smile.gif

345702[/snapback]

user posted image

user posted image

Good example of the work ethic you value so highly 'eh Chesh wink.gif

out batted, out bowled, out fielded, out captained....simply out everythinged (if there is such a word) we where by far and away the better side and hopefully this is just another building block on the way to bigger and better things.

346584[/snapback]

..and yet the team that was 'out everythinged' were two runs away from going 2-0 up.

Edited by pg

No way.

Looking at the uncouth way people like Jim are reacting and the over the top celebrations via the television I'll stick to the more humble civilised country if that's okay with you.

346793[/snapback]

well mate, considering the way that every aussie and his dog has given stick to england, english people and anybody within earshot in the last 20 years...regarding the cricket...then i don't think the celebrations are over the top...just a long time coming and by the looks of the celebrations, this means a great deal to our fellow countrymen and women.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.