BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

I must admit I'm not a big fan of county cricket as it takes to long. 5 days for a draw. sad.gif

However I have enjoyed the test series.

What it does show is how bad the behaviour of footballers have become.

Whilst playing the cricketers are full of agression but there is no arguements about umpire decisions and there is a sporting attribute between both teams.

Well done to both teams for a summer of entertainment.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What it does show is how bad the behaviour of footballers have become.

Whilst playing the cricketers are full of agression but there is no arguements about umpire decisions and there is a sporting attribute between both teams.

346609[/snapback]

Very, very true. At all the games we've attended the players have been excellent. At the OT test Lee and McGrath, stood on the boundary, gave as good as they got to the barrackers in the crowd. You can just see that happening in the PL.

The other thing that impressses is the articulate interviews from every player. One might say that's because they have received a privileged education - assuming cricket is no longer main stream sport in state schools - but I gather that all bar one of the England team received a state education.

Of course they were, I think I have already stated that England were the better team throughout the series but to say that England outeverythinged Australia is crap

346602[/snapback]

England batted better, bowled better and fielded better. The only thing the Aussies did better was whinge.

I have been mild mannered for far too long.

You guys were sucked in and conned. Whilst you blokes were concentrating on winning the Ashes (not the world crown, BTW) WE, yes WE Aussies won two, that's TWO World Crowns.

Always two steps behind. wink.gif

Even Ozziej was drinking our plonk.

Paul, got to agree with you, the cricket players are more articulate and accommodating of a bit of banter.

I remember going to the New Years day one dayer in 2001 (I think) at the Bradman Oval in Bowral, between England and an Aussie XI. Mike Whitney was fielding at long on, close to the boundary. He chased a ball that eventually went for four. I bellowed out to him, "If you can't do better than that, it's back to Fleetwood for you." Absolutely died laughing he did.

Absolutely delighted (obviously) with the way England managed to tie up the series, just some unstructured musings of my own -

Delighted to be wrong about Vaughans captaincy (see earlier in this thread), although I stand by comments I made about his batting suffering as a result of the extra pressure. Bar one superb innings, he has been below his best with the bat, which can surely only be a good sign for the future - he will get back to his best at some point, hopefully Down Under in a couple of years.

The same can actually be said for quite a few of the England team. We've beaten the Aussies despite quite a few of the players not playing to their ability. Bell has been very disappointing with the bat - although his fielding has been tremendous all series, you'd probably have to say he was Englands best fielder.

Pietersen, on the whole, was excellent with the bat, but there's still room for him to become more consistent. He's had an excellent series despite dropping 6 catches. Obvious room for him to get better.

We all know Harmison has more in the locker, he's probably gone from being regarded as Englands best quickie at the start of the series, to probably now 4th choice - mostly down to the way the other bowlers have performed. He will get back to his best, and if Flintoff, Jones and Hoggard continue in the vein they have been in, we're in for a treat.

Geraint Jones has had an excellent Summer, despite all the criticism. He has batted very well for the most part, and his keeping will improve. Ashley Giles has been a hero with the bat, and has done his bit with the ball - in his defense the pitches havent helped him too much. Granted Warne turned it, but then Warne would turn it if the pitches were made of glass. Andrew Strauss still has room for improvement, and even still he looks every inch a future England captain.

Trescothick has been excellent all series, consistent with the bat and has constantly given his country a great platform to build upon. Much has been made of the difference between the two bowling attacks form and the effect that had on the destiny of the Ashes, but in my opinion the way the opening batsmen performed was almost as important.

This series could quite possibly signal the start of a period of dominance for England on the World stage, as Test level atleast. England will improve, the Aussies are facing having the soon replace two of the greatest bowlers in their, and the games, history.

I think in the Winter I'd be tempted to give Pietersen a go at coming in at number 4, move Flintoff up to 5 and give Collingwood a chance to make the number 6 spot his own. Although Bell is an excellent fielder, Colly is also very quick and athletic, and its possible that we may see even better, more fluent performances from Freddie with the bat, if he were safe in the knowledge that there is more batting to come after him.

All in all the future is bright - would be great to see the one day team push on a bit now and make a real case to be World Champions in 2007.

Some excellent points made (struggling to comprehend how England were marginally better but Australia didn't deserve to lose 2-1 though). Nobody has really congratulated Ian Bell though, and I admit I was screaming at him yesterday.

When the pressure was on and we needed a hero, Bell wasted no time in bringing in Kevin Pietersen. At the time it looked like a bad decision but now his deliberate edge to slip turned out to be the masterstroke of the summer. Well done Belly.

Every one of the lads was magnificent, from Tresco right down to Pratt. We bowled better than Australia, we batted better than Australia and we fielded better than Australia. It's a testament to them, therefore, that at about 3pm on the final afternoon they were favourites.

I'd have loved an unsuccessful Aussie run-chase in the final over of the match because the series really deserved that. However, I'll take the batting performance of lions when the faint-hearted would have crumbled. Well done England.

Some excellent points made (struggling to comprehend how England were marginally better but Australia didn't deserve to lose 2-1 though). Nobody has really congratulated Ian Bell though, and I admit I was screaming at him yesterday.

When the pressure was on and we needed a hero, Bell wasted no time in bringing in Kevin Pietersen. At the time it looked like a bad decision but now his deliberate edge to slip turned out to be the masterstroke of the summer. Well done Belly.

346644[/snapback]

I thought the reason he threw his wicket away (around midday for the second time) was because there was sponge pudding on the lunch menu and he fancied filling his boots.

Now that you've said that I must congratulate him on his tactical masterstroke.

Well done Belly.

I thought the reason he threw his wicket away (around midday for the second time) was because there was sponge pudding on the lunch menu and he fancied filling his boots.

Now that you've said that I must congratulate him on his tactical masterstroke.

Well done Belly.

346668[/snapback]

Maybe you should congratulate glenda on 3 fantastic balls in a row to almost turn the match in the aussies favour!

But even considering his bad form this series, he got 2 fifties and have a good average in england colours!

England batted better, bowled better and fielded better.  The only thing the Aussies did better was whinge.

346627[/snapback]

neekoy...as the above says...we batted,bowled and fielded better than your lot...and also we were coached better too...so in cricket terms we were better than you all over the cricket oval...we out everythinged australia.

you said that this was crap, so in your own words why where we not better than australia in every department?? you might wanna take them grapes back to your local fruiterer as they seem a little sour to me mate!!

for all you ex pats out there some advice

sing and shout as loud as you can 2-1 2-1 2-1

aussie wimps and whingers now deserve every little bit of stick they get, they have eraned it.

I would like to say what a great set of sportsmen they are, they took defeat on the chin, lauded up the England team and then in true fergie style said...

"we are still the number 1 team in the world"

sorry boys it should have been WERE

you were a truly great team with truly great players

now

your has beens, replaced by the bet set of cricketers this country has seen for many a year.

so long and farewell, see ya next winter

Maybe you should congratulate glenda on 3 fantastic balls in a row to almost turn the match in the aussies favour!

But even considering his bad form this series, he got 2 fifties and have a good average in england colours!

346685[/snapback]

Sorry modes but if a 17 average for the series is good for a No. 4 bat then I'm getting the pads back on.

Mind you if it's between Belly and Big Belly (Big Bob Key) it's a close call.

Is it just me or are these celebrations a complete over-reaction?  In my opinion it de-values such events.

It was one match against one team...we haven't won a World Cup or anything.  Admittedly, it's a special match, but still...

346727[/snapback]

I think you need a course of Prozac or something because you recent posts are just the most negatively depressing crap I've read in a long time.

Everyone's happy, an England team actually won something, what the #### is wrong with celebrating?

It's cricket! I've no problem with celebrating, just think a open top bus tour and a 'ceremony' at Downing Street is a bit over-the-top. The scenes at The Oval yesterday were brilliant, I just think it might start to look a bit pathetic if we keep milking it...

It's cricket!  I've no problem with celebrating, just think a open top bus tour and a 'ceremony' at Downing Street is a bit over-the-top.  The scenes at The Oval yesterday were brilliant, I just think it might start to look a bit pathetic if we keep milking it...

346740[/snapback]

Get real.

A despised enemy has been defeated. Today was better than VE Day.

It's cricket!  I've no problem with celebrating, just think a open top bus tour and a 'ceremony' at Downing Street is a bit over-the-top.  The scenes at The Oval yesterday were brilliant, I just think it might start to look a bit pathetic if we keep milking it...

346740[/snapback]

and in England, the Ashes series is more important than the cricket world cup

Get real.

A despised enemy has been defeated. Today was better than VE Day.

346741[/snapback]

Yeah thats right - compare defeating an evil tyranical dictatorship that caused destruction and misery all over the world to defeating the Nazis is a bit harsh wink.gif

Sorry Jim, yet again you show yourself up as the ungracious uncouth bore that youve turned yourself into.

The Aussies have been more gracious than you. I suggest that you grow up or a lonely and bitter old age surely awaits

On another note well done the lads on showing the nation on how to consume copius amounts of booze and still not make a complete arse of yourselves - Jordan take note wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.