BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Independent Supporters Assocciation

For some months a small group of like minded Rovers fans have been discussing the merit and possibility of setting up an Independent Supporters Assocciation (ISA). The group have met twice, corresponding via e-mail to discuss the many issues which will be encountered in the formation of an ISA.

Out of these discussions Blackburn Rovers Independent Supporters Assocciation (BRISA) is developing with the intention of representing the interests of Rovers fans across the world.

To date everyone involved in BRISA is a member of brfcs.com. This is the ONLY connection between BRISA and brfcs.com. With more than 3500 members of brfcs.com it is not surprising to find some who have a common motivation in their support of the club.

BRISA has met with club officials and received encouragement in the efforts to form the new supporters group

BRISA will shortly be contacting all known existing, official and unofficial, supporters groups to explain BRISA's intentions

The public launch will take place in the early weeks of next season

An open public meeting will be held to launch ISA to all Rovers fans

Any fan with a serious interest in helping to develop ISA is welcome to join the discussions. Please contact BRISA for further details via the e-mail address below - this is solely because we can provide you with links to all the current information.

BRISA nees your support, Rovers need your support - please get in touch by e-mail

As of 8.00am BRISA has a live E-mail address - admin@roversisa.co.uk

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED AT 8.32, June 20th - just to help explain the discussion below.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To give a flavour of BRISA here are a selection of the FAQs BRISA will publish in the near future to explain its objectives:

What are you all about?

BRISA (Blackburn Rovers Independant Supporters Association) wishes to independently represent the interests of Blackburn Rovers supporters.

It will aim to represent the views of BRFC fans to both the club and the media, as well as increase the opportunities and ways in which supporters of Blackburn Rovers can express their affiliation with, and active support of, the club.

What do you hope to achieve?

What BRISA can achieve is to create a stronger connection between the club and the fans. Hopefully, in the fullness of time through the workings of BRISA, Rovers fans will be able to see that they can have an influence on their football club.

The other main aim of BRISA is to help increase the level of support. We have already discussed various ways and means of achieving this, and are sure there will be many more discussions in the future, but BRISA hopes that by simply having an active supporters group that the fans feel represents their views will help to decrease the level of disillusionment many supporters currently feel.

Who can stand for posts within BRISA?

Anybody who supports Blackburn Rovers and joins BRISA.

What do you intend to do to benefit the fans?

As stated earlier, we hope to increase the level of communication between the fans and the club. This means that the fans will hopefully gain more knowledge of what the club are doing, and why they are doing it, as well as allowing Rovers fans to have a real voice and say in the decisions the club makes. Another potential benefit could see an increase in regional supporters groups and supporter events that will hopefully allow Rovers fans everywhere to feel part of the club and the supporter community.

What does the club think of all this?

They have been very supportive of the idea of BRISA so far and are actively encouraging us to set the association up. We think they can see the benefits of increased communication with the fans just as we can.

That said, we will be an independant organisation and are not answerable to the club in any way.

What about overseas fans?

They are just as important to BRISA as anyone and are encouraged to join. BRISA aims to represent the views of all Blackburn Rovers supporters throughout the world.

As stated previously, one of the aims of BRISA is to encourage the forming of more regional, or even international, supporters groups.

Who are the people behind BRISA?

Initially, six people formed the steering committee for BRISA and attended the first formal meeting. The steering group has now increased in size and there is no restriction on how many people can be part of this steering committee.

The sole aim of the steering group is to successfully get BRISA up and running. At the first public BRISA meeting the steering committee will be disbanded and a new BRISA committee will be formed.

How was the steering group decided upon?

The idea of a BRISA came about through informal discussions between various supporters at matches.

As these discussions started to take shape it was decided that we should hold a more formal meeting (at The Fernhurst on 28/01/05) where ideas about how best to set up an ISA could be debated. Anyone who had expressed an interest was invited to attend the meeting, six of us did, so that was the initial steering group!

All the Steering Group members are also involved in brfcs.com - what is the connection?

The only connection is that the initial disccussions about forming an ISA were conducted between supporters who had met as a direct result of being members of BRFCS.com.

It should be noted though that just because the idea and initial discussions regarding BRISA were conducted by fans who use brfcs.com this does NOT mean BRISA will be a part of brfcs.com. The association will be totally independent of BRFCS.com. Any Rovers supporter can join BRISA, whether they access the internet or not, and the initial BRISA committee will hopefully reflect a wide range of Rovers supporters and groups.

How will BRISA reach out to fans some distance from Ewood?

As stated previously, we will soon have our own web-site that will contain all the information anyone would want about BRISA and what it does. And again, as stated previously, we will be actively encouraging people to set up regional or international supporters groups. To this aim we intend to work closely with any existing supporters groups.

If I want to start a BRISA group/cell how can I do this?

We haven't decided the detail yet but the intention is to make it a lot easier than it currently is. At the moment we believe a fee has to be paid to the club and there has to be a certain number of members before a group can be officially recognised. We will certainly be looking to relax these restrictions and will attempt to provide incentives to encourage groups to be formed.

Is there any guarantee that the BRISA will be fully democratic?

BRISA will be totally democratic. All it's meetings will be open to the public and each meeting will be fully minuted and made available for everyone to read. To gain a position on the BRISA committee you will have to be elected by the BRISA membership. Each year the positions for the committee will be up for re-election and anyone else wishing to take up a position will have the chance to stand.

For some months a small group of like minded Rovers fans have been discussing the merit and possibility of setting up an Independent Supporters Assocciation (ISA)..............

............To date everyone involved in BRISA is a member of brfcs.com.

BRISA nees your support, Rovers need your support - please get in touch by e-mail: admin@brfcs.com

325223[/snapback]

Hmmm. So c'mon Paul. Why such thinly veiled secrecy? Spill the beans and tell us who are these 'like minded' guys? huh.gif I'm sure that we'll all be familiar with their board persona. (Especially as so few 'normal' members have access to reading mail to that particular website. wink.gif)

Another question.... Why start another fragmentory group? Whats wrong with joining or enhancing some existing BRFC based organisation?

Spill the beans and tell us who are these 'like minded' guys?
No secrets thenodrog: Scotty, stuwilky, den, Kiwiwannabe, Glenn, Ste, Tris, Paul. The brfcs.com e-mail address is being used because it's available and BRISA wants to hear from people. brfcs members are likely to be interested just as are other existing groups.

Why start another fragmentory group? Whats wrong with joining or enhancing some existing BRFC based organisation?

There are no longer any BRFC based supporters organisations, although we didn't know about those changes when the ideas where first developed.

and as you posted last night

As an old work colleague of mine used to say ....... IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO HAPPEN............THEN YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! And never a truer word was spoken! Amen.

Why start another fragmentory group? Whats wrong with joining or enhancing some existing BRFC based organisation?

There are no longer any BRFC based supporters organisations, although we didn't know about those changes when the ideas where first developed.

325283[/snapback]

I think it's fair to say that the wholesale unsuitability of the then exitsing Official Supporters Association (especially for anyone livining outside Blackburn) was one factor that drove this forward in the early stages. I tried to achive something within the official structure a few years ago and found the club to be nothing short of obstructive. That said, we were very surprised to learn of the disbanding of the official supporters asociation, that was never our intention.

As for independant association, I'm only aware of Ewood Blues and from an outsiders point of view they seem to mainly be a Blackburn based travel club.

That said, we were very surprised to learn of the disbanding of the official supporters asociation, that was never our intention.

325290[/snapback]

...and to be clear BRISA has had no involvement with that decision. The club where completley unaware of BRISA's exsistence when the decision was made to disband the OSAs

Just heard that BRISA's e-mail is now live. Please contact BRISA via admin@roversisa.co.uk

Is there any reason that this is the only rovers forum that this has been mentioned on? Surely for best penetration and initial succes of the ISA you would want to esnure the widest spread of fans.

If you are not careful, some Rovers fans who use other forums and have "issues" with brfcs.co.uk may see the ISA as being a brfcs lead organisation and therofore will not want to get inlvolved.

Hopefully you will soon have your own site and will search the web for all rovers relateed forums and post on them and perhaps asks fusers here to email you the details of other forums etc they use so you can spread the word as wide as you can before a clique is formed.

We obviously dont want BRISA to become a group 'only for brfcs.co.uk' members, that is not the idea. However the people who originally thought of brisa are all members from this site so it seemed easier to open it up to members of this messageboard first. However within the next few days many more people and organisations will find out about BRISA.

So now is as good a time as ever to open the website up.

www.roversisa.co.uk

It is still a bit under construction, but all the information you might need is there.

However within the next few days many more people and organisations will find out about BRISA.

Do you want brfcs members to start to spread the word now, or leave it to you so you have times to ensure all is right with your website etc. i.e use brfcs members to test run things before you start to spread the word?

However within the next few days many more people and organisations will find out about BRISA.

Do you want brfcs members to start to spread the word now, or leave it to you so you have times to ensure all is right with your website etc. i.e use brfcs members to test run things before you start to spread the word?

325312[/snapback]

What we want, is for anyone at all, who thinks they would like to become involved with the formation of an Independent supporters association to contact admin. From there, there is much more information available. It costs nothing to take a look.

It is open to anyone, anywhere in the world.

We obviously dont want BRISA to become a group 'only for brfcs.co.uk' members, that is not the idea. However the people who originally thought of brisa are all members from this site so it seemed easier to open it up to members of this messageboard first. However within the next few days many more people and organisations will find out about BRISA.

www.roversisa.co.uk

It is still a bit under construction, but all the information you might need is there.

325311[/snapback]

The wording of your post sounds like you should also be on the list clare (Quote Paul........No secrets thenodrog: Scotty, stuwilky, den, Kiwiwannabe, Glenn, Ste, Tris, Paul.). Or is it just another man thing? rolleyes.gif

Few more questions that I am forwarding as they occurr to me.

1. This 'fully democratic' bit' Paul. Is the list of individuals above ** expected to work like a Golf club 'council' unelected and permanent but all the while running in the background of a regularly elected committee? If so then I suggest a member of the fairer sex and a representative of the IndoPak community be installed. Or am I just being overly PC yet again? wink.gif

2. Will any posts involve remuneration for anyone or will the entire club be run on a voluntary (+ certain expenses of course) but essentially non-profitmaking basis?

3. ** btw does that list include mates and interested parties or does everyone on there possess certain special and necessary abilities required for this project?)

The wording of your post sounds like you should also be on the list clare (Quote Paul........No secrets thenodrog: Scotty, stuwilky, den, Kiwiwannabe, Glenn, Ste, Tris, Paul.).  Or is it just another man thing? rolleyes.gif

1.  This 'fully democratic' bit' Paul.  Is the list of individuals above **  expected to work like a Golf club 'council' unelected and permanent but all the while running in the background of a regularly elected committee?  If so then I suggest a member of the fairer sex and a representative of the IndoPak community be installed.  Or am I just being overly PC yet again? wink.gif

2.  Will any posts involve remuneration for anyone or will the entire club be run on a voluntary (+ certain expenses of course) but essentially non-profitmaking basis?

3.  **    btw does that list include mates and interested parties or does everyone on there possess certain special and necessary abilities required for this project?)

325322[/snapback]

I don't think Kiwiwannabe (or Claire) would like to called a man!

The names above have simply taken an interest is setting the ISA up, some of us may want to stand for election onto the formal committee when that time comes around, others do not. It is far from a closed shop and we certainly hope that more people want to be involved.

We hadnt considered the issue of remuneration, I very much doubt that any post will be "salaried" and currently we do not have the resources to pay expenses. I would imagine that this will be the case for the foreseeable future.

325325[/snapback]

Oops sorry Klur. But if you are really cn174 then shame on you for having 2 accounts. You'll get banned before you start if you aren't careful.

325325[/snapback]

Oops sorry Klur. But if you are really cn174 then shame on you for having 2 accounts. You'll get banned before you start if you aren't careful.

325335[/snapback]

Two different ones! One Clare and one Claire..... how confusing

325325[/snapback]

325335[/snapback]

Clure (cn174) and Claire (Kiwi) are two different people. I believe Paul's omission of Clure was an unintentional mistake on his part.

As for the posts, we're trying to avoid a "jobs-for-the-boys" (or Claires wink.gif ) situation, all posts will be elected at a public meeting. One of our aims is to keep the membership fee as close to 0 as possible, obviously paid posts would hinder this. None of the other club ISAs we've contact have come up with any reason for paid posts.

To avoid this becoming a "messageboard thing" we've contacted (or at least will in the next few days) the heads all the former official supporters associations and other unofficial ones (I guess it makes sense to include other messageboards in this too) trying to get them on board as early as possible. Ideally we'd like to see them all well represented on the ISA.

www.roversisa.co.uk

325311[/snapback]

So how do I invest in a Rovers ISA then? biggrin.gif

The wording of your post sounds like you should also be on the list clare (Quote Paul........No secrets thenodrog: Scotty, stuwilky, den, Kiwiwannabe, Glenn, Ste, Tris, Paul.).  Or is it just another man thing? rolleyes.gif

1.  This 'fully democratic' bit' Paul.  Is the list of individuals above **  expected to work like a Golf club 'council' unelected and permanent but all the while running in the background of a regularly elected committee?  If so then I suggest a member of the fairer sex and a representative of the IndoPak community be installed.  Or am I just being overly PC yet again? wink.gif

2.  Will any posts involve remuneration for anyone or will the entire club be run on a voluntary (+ certain expenses of course) but essentially non-profitmaking basis?

3.  **     btw does that list include mates and interested parties or does everyone on there possess certain special and necessary abilities required for this project?)

325322[/snapback]

Clare wasn't on the list I posted because she did not attend the original meeting which my remarks referred to. Six people attended, two sent apologies. If you follow the link to the BRISA web site you will find the full minutes of that meeting together with the names of those who attended. **EDITED 4.00pm - just re-read the minutes of meeting 1 and realise I was wrong, Clare did send apologies.**

To answer points 1-3:

1. Please read all the information posted above and on the BRISA website. You will find it stressed on many occassions all Rovers fans can join and any member can stand for election. You will also find the six people at the original meeting are willing to stand down at the first public meeting and for others to be elected. We all know we are unelected, just a bunch of football fans with no jurisdictiuon at all. We also believe the time is right for BRISA and someone has to make a start, somewhere. If it works and others run BRISA, so be it.

2. Remuneration? biggrin.gif This is costing money. Everyone who is involved has put their hands in their pockets to get BRISA working

3. I don't actually understand the question though I get the point you are trying to make. The list includes nothing more than the six people who were interested to turn up at the Fernhurst one Friday night.

Please do not try to find sinister intentions where none exist. If you are concerned by BRISA or its intentions please come along, get involved and listen to what is being said and done. If you wish to be involved the choice is in your hands. BRISA are fans who believe there is work to be done, we are concerned about our club and it's future and we have got off our backsides and are attempting to make progress. We may fall flat on our faces but we are trying.

Will there be a student discount? unsure.gif

Please do not try to find sinister intentions where none exist.

Looking at that list of names, i understand these intentions, you guys all seem to be a tight knit group who enjoy ripping the p*ss out of theno and a couple of others. I would certainly not be interested until i felt that the group was slightly more representative of Rovers fans

Edited by andy82

Looking at that list of names, i understand these intentions, you guys all seem to be a tight knit group who enjoy ripping the p*ss out of theno and a couple of others. I would certainly not be interested until i felt that the group was slightly more representative of Rovers fans

325433[/snapback]

What would you need, to be assured of that Andy?

325433[/snapback]

Well excuse me, I believe *I* headed the campaign to get him re-instated smile.gif . Beside, ripping the #### is reserved those those without the intellect or spirit to fight back (come back lofty, all is forgiven), I'd hardly put Gord in that category. Plus the idea of calling Scotty & Tris close knit is class smile.gif You'll be claiming AS is Jim's life long friend and I'm really Gerald Jackson next ! (I guess being called Gerald is better than being called the North Korean government ... again).

As Paul says, the point of starting with a public meeting is we all stand aside and a public vote chooses who gets voted in. If you don't think there is anyone currently involved who you feel represents your views GET INVOLVED ! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say the broader the represented user base the better.

As for student discount, I would propose we can see how close to zero we can get the membership fee first. One of the problems with the official supporters associates is you seemed to get very little for your money and that is one thing we are desprately trying to avoid.

325433[/snapback]

What would you need, to be assured of that Andy?

325438[/snapback]

I certainly think that you need to have at least one foreign based member at the forefront (i dont understand exactly when the 'driving group' becomes a 'council'), as well as maybe a couple of names that arent messageboard celebrities. Otherwise someone that is very opinionated but outspoken - someone like Theno wuld be good, just to show the rest of us that you are actually taking suggestions from all angles seriously - One of the biggest thing i feel is putting supporters off this club is the fact that those of us who don't reside in Lancs or don't go to every home game are regularly made to feel incredibly guilty for our circumstances. You wouldnt get that at a club like Man Utd or Liverpool!

Otherwise someone that is very opinionated but outspoken - someone like Theno wuld be good, just to show the rest of us that you are actually taking suggestions from all angles seriously - One of the biggest thing i feel is putting supporters off this club is the fact that those of us who don't reside in Lancs or don't go to every home game are regularly made to feel incredibly guilty for our circumstances. You wouldnt get that at a club like Man Utd or Liverpool!

325443[/snapback]

1) Theno.. - if he wanted to stand for election to a post, then he is welcome to as would be any member of the ISA. (there may have to be a mechanism around proposing and seconding etc dependant on numbers)

2) Those who dont reside in lancs.. - theres already a large number of people involved in the isa who have similar circumstances (Tris, Glenn, Scotty, Kiwiwannabe). Its difficult at present to involve foreign supporters in the setup meetings, but its certainly on the agenda how we gain that representation.

Other than that we need to stress that this isnt a messageboard thing, its just that the people who thought it up happened to be members and its an easy place to discuss things whilst its in an embryonic state.

One of the biggest thing i feel is putting supporters off this club is the fact that those of us who don't reside in Lancs or don't go to every home game are regularly made to feel incredibly guilty for our circumstances. You wouldnt get that at a club like Man Utd or Liverpool!

325443[/snapback]

Spot on. You hit the nail on the head...in other words you don't feel valued by the club and/or fellow supporters?

BRISA wants EVERYONE involved, from everywhere be it East Lancs or East Timor. We want everyone's voice to be heard because we know the support is dropping like a stone. This is about supporting Blackburn Rovers, nothing more and nothing less.

Otherwise someone that is very opinionated but outspoken - someone like Theno wuld be good, just to show the rest of us that you are actually taking suggestions from all angles seriously - One of the biggest thing i feel is putting supporters off this club is the fact that those of us who don't reside in Lancs or don't go to every home game are regularly made to feel incredibly guilty for our circumstances. You wouldnt get that at a club like Man Utd or Liverpool!

325443[/snapback]

1) Theno.. - if he wanted to stand for election to a post, then he is welcome to as would be any member of the ISA. (there may have to be a mechanism around proposing and seconding etc dependant on numbers)

2) Those who dont reside in lancs.. - theres already a large number of people involved in the isa who have similar circumstances (Tris, Glenn, Scotty, Kiwiwannabe). Its difficult at present to involve foreign supporters in the setup meetings, but its certainly on the agenda how we gain that representation.

Other than that we need to stress that this isnt a messageboard thing, its just that the people who thought it up happened to be members and its an easy place to discuss things whilst its in an embryonic state.

325445[/snapback]

Cool. Can you not use real names when connected with BRISA then, rather than messageboard names?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.