BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

Shut up you moron.

346736[/snapback]

Grow up. If you cant post without acting like a child try the Burnley site.

My point (and opinion) as you seemed to have completely missed in your "dicky-fit" is that last season we had Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle in the first five games. With a daunting looking next five fixtures those stats I presented might not get much better.

And as for your results=entertainment, well unfortunatley I wont pay £400+ to watch 38 x 0-0 in a league thats already decided before a ball is kicked which is the way the PL is heading.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets compare the squad at the start of last season with the squad at the start of this season.....

Gone are Short, Stead, Johannson and the overrated Jock whilst and in are Mokoena, Nelsen, Bentley, Savage, Zurab, Kuqi and Bellamy. 

346749[/snapback]

Missed the point.

The paper I was refering to was the stats, undoubtly the teamsheet is stronger but its not been transposed into cold hard goals or points. I would like to see us doing better is that such a crime?

You thick or what?

346749[/snapback]

No. Just silly enough to dare to have an opinion.

No!

They will listen to the KERCHING! of the cash register.  When profits start to seriously fall the fun will start

Football as we know it is teetering on the edge of oblivion.  When the next round of TV rights bargening comes round, there is going to be a fundamental shift in how football is financed IMO.

Its going to hit us big time !

346950[/snapback]

Well, Lee did mention that quite a number of contracts are up at the end of this season.

Might be a good time for Rovers to be the first club to downsize itself, organising the finances to the equivalent of a division one club, but playing in the Premier League. Sure there is a risk of relegation... but no matter what is spent, this will remain for all but the top teams, so why risk the disaster that is a highly waged club having to service it's existing player contracts in constant danger of relegation.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but my perception is, from the general tone of the fans, they actually want and deserve division one football. After all, if it's about relating to the players, home grown players are more likely to figure the further down the divisions you go. And there are other factors too of course.

But that's honestly what I think. Rovers can't deliberately gear themselves for relegation, that isn't sensible at all of course. But they can gear themselves as a somewhere between premier and div. one club, even if it means we are asking the youngest to make the step up too early.

That's just not true American.  We changed to 4-5-1 because we were getting pi55ed on.

346903[/snapback]

That's just not true either Scotty, we switched to 4-5-1 far too early after being under the cosh for a few minutes. That didn't work either, we conceded again and had to attempt to switch back to 4-4-2.

That's just not true either Scotty, we switched to 4-5-1 far too early after being under the cosh for a few minutes. That didn't work either, we conceded again and had to attempt to switch back to 4-4-2.

346981[/snapback]

We were getting overrun in midfield and had to change. I think we took the wrong player off but we did have to change.

Grow up. If you cant post without acting like a child try the Burnley site.

My point (and opinion) as you seemed to have completely missed in your "dicky-fit" is that last season we had Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle in the first five games. With a daunting looking next five fixtures those stats I presented might not get much better.

And as for your results=entertainment, well unfortunatley I wont pay £400+ to watch 38 x 0-0 in a league thats already decided before a ball is kicked which is the way the PL is heading.

346959[/snapback]

Before you start whingin even more precariously, try re reading your post, then re wording it, instead of changing what you said in a later post...

And if it's entertainment ahead of results you want... THEN DON'T BUY YOUR SEASON TICKET, NOBODY CARES, JUST DON'T COME ON HERE WHINGING BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE THE LEVELS OF ENTERTAINMENT, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT, US TO HAVE TURNED INTO BRAZIL BECAUSE WE'VE SIGNED BELLAMY???!!!

And if it's entertainment ahead of results you want... THEN DON'T BUY YOUR SEASON TICKET

347016[/snapback]

And finally my point hits home.........

The whole point of the thread: What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

39% of people say poor standard of entertainment, I'm guessing a lot followed your advice and didn't renew thier season tickets.

I'll post my opinion thanks very much. The day you buy the site feel free to cancel my membership until then I suggest you accept that not everyone will agree with you and stop getting so wound up.

Edited by OscarRaven

Beat me to it 1864

Rovers fans have been the less naive and stupid THAN OTHER CLUBS and decided enough was enough and voted with their feet for some time.

346934[/snapback]

I'm not having that! Our fans are as stupid as they come when it comes to irrationally supporting their team. It's just that there are far fewer of us.

jim mk2....Don't know if this has been posted but Bolton have sold only 14,000 tickets for tomorrow night - their first game in serious European competition.

september 13th 1994...

rovers 0 v trelleborgs 1

attendance 13775

(rovers 1st european game)

we can`t really have a go at them can we??

Never mind the fact that we got pi55ed on after switching over to 4-5-1...

346892[/snapback]

You are quite wrong there mate........

1. After half time we were getting the run around which culminated in their fully deserved equalising goal.

2. Hughes switched to 4-5-1 to combat this and this resulted in us immediately 'bossing it' territorially for a short period until they scored right out of the blue from a break from deep that stemmed from poor concentration / indiscipline defending from Emerton when he stupidly chose to argue with the ref over a piggin throw-in award against him rather than close Konchesky down who played the ball forward completely unapposed.

3. We switched back to 4-4-2 again then cos we then had to chase the game and again were looking the stronger team until.........

4. Dickov then put the tin hat on it by getting sent off.

Poor 2nd half performance all round, but not for the reason that you are inferring.

It's all about opinions I guess and mine is that the long ball that Mokoena failed to cut out would and could not have even been delivered but for Emerton stupidly turning his back on Konchesky and the thrower to argue with the ref. Did he think that the ref would change his decision?

The old rule still stands that when the other team have the ball our team should have 11 defenders.

Great strike though and one that I dont think he be able to repeat if he tries all season

Just been watching a short Eurosports "aren't West Ham wonderful/ breath of fresh air/ in the West Ham tradition/ blah blah" hagiography.

Er no- Bolton sorted them at Upton Park and they got what they deserved.

They got lucky against a Villa side when most of what went forwards went into the net. And watching the three goals against Rovers shown in rapid succession makes the blue and white shirt look like a slapstick clown's outfit.

Woeful defending for all three is too polite a description.

Emerton's piroette and back heel will go into the "what happened next?" compilations but where/what was Todd??? If Amo had done that there would have been a public hanging.

Back to attendances, the Premiership/Abramovich chickens are coming home to roost in a flock. It won't be long before the Mancs' good start is over leaving the Chelski bandwagon to roll away with it irrespective of Charlton and/or Citeh upsetting a few apple carts and then all the nation's football fans have to look forwards to is the inevitable national humiliation which will be the SGE good bye. Even Chelsea fans are revolting.

My hunch is that Rovers' fans actually have a good season to look forwards to as a tough to beat team increasingly also becomes a smooth passing outfit with a threat upfront. Plus a Dingles relegation scrap and an Accy Stanley promotion up the road.

Edited by philipl

Here is a man talking sense and acknowledging what we all know: Premiership Spending: surviving on a shoe-string It's well worth reading the netire article but here's a key section from Richard Murray, Charlton Chairman:

While Saturday's game is a sell-out, season ticket sales at the Valley this season are down by 1,500 to fewer than 19,000. "It's the first time in our experience that sales have fallen," Murray said. "We wrote to our season-ticket holders to ask why. There were three reasons. Firstly, they were disappointed by our poor end to last season and felt it was a rather uneventful year for us. Secondly, only nine of our 19 home matches kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday, which meant that some people weren't able to attend every match.

"Thirdly there was the Chelsea factor. Journalists say that it's better that there are now three clubs at the top rather than two. We don't see it that way. There's now only one club at the top. Our supporters feel the Premiership title is cut and dried already.

"You also feel that each year the three clubs that come up will be the ones most likely to go down. For the first two or three years after you go up you're just happy to stay there, but once you've been there for five or six years fans start wondering: 'Where do we go from here?' We were really chuffed that Everton finished fourth last season, just to make a change."

and as I was saying earlier in this thread:

If the big three went away and the TV money was halved, the average Premiership salary would be £10,000 a week rather than £20,000 a week. Fine. What are these players going to do? Are they going to go and get jobs as postmen instead because they're 'only' going to be paid £10,000 a week? Of course they're not."

and the league would be more competitive

Does Murray think that the Premier League's best chance of a secure future would be if the big clubs left to play in a European super league? "Well it would mean that the likes of Charlton, West Ham, Aston Villa or Tottenham could win the league again - which is what brought us all into football in the first place.

It would be nice to feel Murray's views reflect those of other PL chairmen

but here's a key section from Richard Murray, Charlton Chairman:

While Saturday's game is a sell-out, season ticket sales at the Valley this season are down by 1,500 to fewer than 19,000. "It's the first time in our experience that sales have fallen," Murray said. "We wrote to our season-ticket holders to ask why. There were three reasons. Firstly, they were disappointed by our poor end to last season and felt it was a rather uneventful year for us. Secondly, only nine of our 19 home matches kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday, which meant that some people weren't able to attend every match.

"Thirdly there was the Chelsea factor. Journalists say that it's better that there are now three clubs at the top rather than two. We don't see it that way. There's now only one club at the top. Our supporters feel the Premiership title is cut and dried already.

"You also feel that each year the three clubs that come up will be the ones most likely to go down. For the first two or three years after you go up you're just happy to stay there, but once you've been there for five or six years fans start wondering: 'Where do we go from here?' We were really chuffed that Everton finished fourth last season, just to make a change."

347052[/snapback]

How suprising for Murray! rolleyes.gif We've already discussed all that on here for ages now! Maybe we could sell them our findings and save lots of time and trouble. BUT anyway fair play for reacting to 1500 less ST's by writing to the punters involved........ Have our lot done that?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.