SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Independent Supporters Asscn

Paul

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We prefer to remain independent of the club. Blues Bar is 1) closed and 2) noisy. Ewood would have to be kept open for us and somehow I don't think Rovers would want to stump that cost. smile.gif

I doubt the alternative would be any quieter but I doubt any public place would. I don't like the independant way of thinking it usually leads to some kind of conflict. You should be acting on what the club wants you to do not in your own best interests.

I doubt the alternative would be any quieter but I doubt any public place would. I don't like the independant way of thinking it usually leads to some kind of conflict. You should be acting on what the club wants you to do not in your own best interests.

360535[/snapback]

BRISA acts in the way its paid up members wants it to act.

360535[/snapback]

Well its not a rant at the Walkers, which is nice. I want the supporters to have a say in teh club because they are the ones who actually have the biggest attachment to the club and tehrefore should have a say and tell teh club when they are wrong and when they need to change stuff. something that might not happen if the supporters association was closely linked to the club

Well I prefer to side with the club on anything they choose to do. There should be an association formed whose members are dedicated to doing exactly that. There's possibilities of a BRISA split otherwise if members side for or against on any issues. Strong links should be formed with the club and my concern is that the fans could gain too much power here if the club can't keep you in line. BRISA seems to be doing fine currently but for the reasons stated I would rather not join in all due respect.

Well I prefer to side with the club on anything they choose to do. There should be an association formed whose members are dedicated to doing exactly that. There's possibilities of a BRISA split otherwise if members side for or against on any issues. Strong links should be formed with the club and my concern is that the fans could gain too much power here if the club can't keep you in line. BRISA seems to be doing fine currently but for the reasons stated I would rather not join in all due respect.

360567[/snapback]

One thing that BRISA has already enquired about, is the relationship between the club and the Jersey trust.

You wouldn't be interested in that, would you?

I have no problem debating issues Den particularly that one as you have evidently noticed. I have interest in BRISA but I won't commit myself to a group that could disagree with the club or even amongst the members themselves. I would prefer to join a group that won't potentially rebel against the club and will share the same views on all issues unlike BRISA where there is room for conflict.

Vinjay I can't help but think you may have got the wrong end of the stick. Clearly joining BRISA is a decision for each and every fan. We need to be clear though BRISA is not intending to be in conflict with the club or other groups of fans. In fcat BRISA has gone out of its way to include evryone; some groups do not wish to join us, others do our mission statement is:

"Representing the best interests of Blackburn Rovers supporters everywhere"

We can hardly achieve that if we are in conflict with the club or other fans. BRISA has clearly staed it wishes to work with club but will not be scared to challenge the club's view if we believe it is not in the fans' interest. That isn't conflict, it's discussion. We asked John Williams how he viewed BRISA, his response was this:

- BRISA will be seen as a sounding board

- A good resource to the club for feed back on fans’ views

- Effectively BRISA will be free market research

- Information gained from BRISA could be very valuable

- BRISA could be a sounding board at Premier League level and not simply within BRFC. JW/TF might wish to discuss PL initiatives with BRISA

- JW cannot conceive the club as not being interested in the fans’ view. The club do want to listen but is frustrated when fans’ express the feeling the club does not care about them

I think that's very positive and anything but conflict

PS - Water's Edge is lucky to get 10 in on a Thursday night

BRISA acts in the way its paid up members wants it to act.

360536[/snapback]

"Representing the best interests of Blackburn Rovers supporters everywhere"

360578[/snapback]

Here we seem to have our first conflict of interests.

Will BRISA represent 'supporters everywhere' or just the 'paid up members'?

Here we seem to have our first conflict of interests.

Will BRISA represent 'supporters everywhere' or just the 'paid up members'?

360645[/snapback]

There is not conflict of interests. BRISA will know how its members feel about issues through wide ranging consultation both in person, via the internet and via other mediums (eg the postal service). Given that BRISA already has a wide ranging group of members accross local/national and international boundaries it will represent supporters everywhere.

Naturally, there will be clear patterns between BRISA members views and non members views.

There's no conflict of interest. BRISA will endure to do it's best for ALL rovers fans, members or not.  Hopefully, some people will recognise that and back us by becoming members.

360646[/snapback]

You didn't answer the question, just pass comment on the statement.

However, from the waffle, I get the message that Brisa will represent the views of it's members only.

Umm, sounds like parliament, representing themselves and not the masses. smile.gif

360651[/snapback]

Did that not answer your question?

However, from the waffle, I get the message that Brisa will represent the views of it's members only.

Umm, sounds like parliament, representing themselves and not the masses. smile.gif

360651[/snapback]

Aggy

I did answer the question, as did den, albeit in different ways.

Our members are the information point, the conduit if you like, how BRISA gets information, ideas, etc. Those are highly likely to be the same as the majority of Rovers fans in one way or another.

If you are so keen on what BRISA is trying to do perhaps youd like to join and become a committee member, thursday evening this week at the waters edge, 8pm. If I was there I'd even buy you a drink. smile.gif

Edited by stuwilky

360651[/snapback]

BRISA, quite categorically, will attempt to represent the best interests of Rovers fans everywhere. If that's a problem get to the Watersedge on Thursday 17th November 8.00pm and I will be happy to discuss it. Clearly if members put forward ideas that they wish BRISA to act on this will be taken into account. BRISA can only act on issues in two ways:

1. The issues the BRISA committee deem relevant

2. Issues raised by fans, be they members or not

If you don't like that come and tell us the issues that are important to you and other fans you know. This is not waffle it is fans getting off their backsides and becoming active.............. something which to date has been sadly lacking in Blackburn.

Naturally, there will be clear patterns between BRISA members views and non members views.

360647[/snapback]

Not sure I buy your logic there. You cannot assume that a self-selecting group, i.e. paid up members, will be representative of the entire Rovers fan base. That would only be the case if BRISA members were randomly selected.

I would think it fair to say that paid up members will NOT be representative of the entire fan base as they are much more likely to be the keener, more committed fans. As countless threads on this board have shown, the keener fans simply cannot comprehend why everyone else isn't like them and turns up to ewood rain or shine, "Cheaper prices, what more can the club do?"

For BRISA to be fully repreentative, it will need to make great efforts to reach out to the less committed and at least ascertain their views. Otherwise, the meetings with the club will be in danger of just being a collective head-shaking session as to the uselessness of the Blackburn public.

The oft-quoted response of, "Well, if you think you can do better then sign up and get on t'committee" misses the point that most people either hate putting themselves in the limelight, and that many of our fans aren't committed enough to put themselves through such an ordeal. By definition, such a response is "normal" as is applies to the vast majority.

For BRISA to be fully repreentative, it will need to make great efforts to reach out to the less committed and at least ascertain their views.  Otherwise, the meetings with the club will be in danger of just being a collective head-shaking session as to the uselessness of the Blackburn public.

360666[/snapback]

We have an idea, which still has to be turned into a plan, on tackling that very point.

As regards head-shaking I'd agree but would add it has been fascinating to hear the views of Williams and Finn. I've learnt more in 2 meetings than in the previous 25 seasons. Communication is the key.

We have an idea, which still has to be turned into a plan, on tackling that very point.

360669[/snapback]

I think it is crucial that you do. It is no coincidence that union committees become unrepresentative of union members, who become unrepresentative of the total workforce. Berating the workforce to join the union committee does not solve that problem.

As regards head-shaking I'd agree but would add it has been fascinating to hear the views of Williams and Finn. I've learnt more in 2 meetings than in the previous 25 seasons. Communication is the key.

360669[/snapback]

One wonders why Williams and Finn haven't made such views known to the greater public. But more important is what the dynamic duo learn from the fans, especially the thousands that have been lost during their watch. Frankly, they do not need to know the views of the highly committed, you guys would still turn up if we were in the Unibond league.

EIT, if you have ideas that help make BRISA more representative than it currently is, then contact them and put your ideas forward. That isn't meant to be a nasty reply, just a realistic suggestion.

As Paul has said, we have some ideas how to widen the member base and in good time, we will put those ideas into operation. You might be surprised though, to see how BRISA already has a considerable cross section of fans.

Remember, BRISA only launched just over a month ago. A lot of work went into that launch. At the moment we are trying to put all our energies into getting the right structures into place, to ensure that the right people are in the right positions so that BRISA can work as fluently as possible.

1[  The mixed messages have been cleared up. Thank you. Ask a question and get a tetchy response. smile.gif

2]  If I asked an awkward question on Thursday would I end up in the canal? biggrin.gif

360668[/snapback]

1] 'twasn't tetchy mad.gif

2] Yes. laugh.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.