BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Not really heard much about him but I'm quite impressed by Ed Sheeran. The track "Little Lady + Mikill Pane" from his No. 5 Compilations album really stood out for me. Gritty but affecting lyrics.

Edited by Jisty

Has anyone else heard of a band called The Weeknd (and that's not a misspelling)? I heard one of their tracks late one Sunday night on Radio 1 and have been liking them ever since. It's a mix of R'N'B, Dubstep and Indie. They sound great IMO.

Just started listening to this artist but I found it through the Flufftronix Remix of high for this. Quite like the original too though.

Just back from Beat Herder fest. Highlights, Horace Andy on the main stage on sunday eve, Mr Scruff doing a nicely chilled set in the Toiltrees, perfect for a Sunday afternoon and a great antidote to the madness of the previous 2 and a half days, my mate, Chris Holt DJ'ing in Hotel California on Fri night Sat morning. Also must be the friendliest festival I've been to, 7,000 people, not a copper in sight and not a hint of trouble or attitude and wall to wall sunshine. My first Beat Herder but will definately be back again.

Went to Glasto last week, too many highlights to mention them all but here's a few; The Cubana Latin tent, magical live latin bands,loved every minute of it, Lee Scratch Perry, as mad and wonderful as ever, Rumer on Saturday afternoon, A beautiful dreamlike set and the sun finally came out And every band i saw on the arcadia stage. Had a great time but well knackered after 5 days walking thru mud and dad dancing.

• 2 weeks later...

Wowsers, always been one of my fav Van tunes and easily my fav version. Just played it 5 times on the trot and still makin my hair stand on end.

Edited by david_daft

Just found The Kinks at the BBC on iPlayer. Genius absolute bloody genius. Catch it while you can............especially if you're under 30.

I can't understand how Davies wrote those lryrics while so young.

• 2 months later...

Anyone heard The Weeknd's second mixtape?

Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbN3bzCo0Vo

Yeah I loved the first mixtape, especially High For This and Wicked Games, still yet to appreciate the second in depth.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff on Warp Records recently Flying Lotus, Aphex Twin and more recently Rustie but at the moment I'd have to say I'm really enjoying Battles and Maximo Park on that label, especially the former even though the latter are a local band for me, Kuedo, Burial and Netsky are also pretty high on the playlist at the moment, also.

Been exploring a lot of Jesus & Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine as well, having been too young to experience these bands at the time, but going to see what you could say is their modern counterpart in The Horrors, on tuesday. Have to say, Skying is probably my album of the year so far, so many tunes. That or Wild Beasts 'Smother' or the Neon Indian one, I can't recommend those enough, really nice textures and well written. The Metronomy and Anna Calvi albums aren't far behind either, but I can't really fathom the acclaim given to PJ Harvey's new album, it's a nice concept, but it just sounds dull and uninspired.

What does everyone make of the Radiohead album?

Edited by jny
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yeah I loved the first mixtape, especially High For This and Wicked Games, still yet to appreciate the second in depth.

It's the first music I've heard in a long time where you can literally listen to each album (such as they are) over and over. Stick either onto your iPod, plug in and let it wash over you. Absolutely incredible.

I love The Black Keys. One of those bands where i actually remember where i was the first time i heard one of their tracks (Hard Row). Mind you, there isn't much else to enjoy nowadays. I'm even looking forward to the inevitable disappointment of the Roses reunion.

On that subject, did anyone else see the press conference? Whats us with Mani? I reckon he's seriously bloody ill. Weezing like a goodun and at one point Ian Brown even asks if he's okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.