BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Most recent album very disappointing - and they appear to be playing it all!

They probably weren't right for headlining Glasto, but I don't agree with that at all - the new album is brilliant, possibly their best yet.

It's such a shame Mos Def had to pull out, Sweepstakes would have blown everyone away if he'd been there. Try and watch the London Roundhouse performance of that sing, it's amazing.

. Must be so hard to play that live, it's got a crazy time signature. Edited by LeChuck

Mumford and Sons at Glastonbury John Peel stage=legendary.

They were indeed Oz, although arriving a bit late I was so far back I could barely see them.

Just back after another fabulous weekend (well best part of a week). Makes a change to be shaking dust off everything rather than mud. Some thoughts on my festival, although I suspect most weren't on the telly: -

Gorillaz - enjoyed in parts, usually the parts that others there didn't. The Syrian band I thought were terrific and it was worth the time for the brief cameo by Lou Reed, the man with the most lived in face in rock and roll, including Keith Richards. That was the only time I went to the Pyramid stage.

Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba. Simply wonderful. I've seen the band 5 or 6 times and they just keep getting better and better. The Guardian this morning said the crowd leaving the West Holts field wore gobsmacked expressions and I can well believe that. I urge anyone interested in guitar bands who hasn't ventured into African music to see them if they can.

The Unthanks - a delay of 20 minutes with sound problems put them a bit off their stride but they still gave an excellent set.

Nick Lowe - an object lesson for any new wannabees in how to deliver an hour of perfectly crafted pop songs with the minimum of fuss, backed by an extraordinary tight band.

To Mezclao - a new Cuban band on in an obscure bar in the early hours of Sunday - a joy.

Dr John - only caught the first half an hour as I had to work. Small crowd because he started in competition with the football (that was a mistake that thousands might have regretted), but wonderful to see the legend live again after I think 38 years.

Richard Thompson - again another admirable set delivered to a small but passionate crowd.

Rodgrigo y Gabriella - I've been wanting to see them for a while now but last night was the first time. They produce an extraordinary live experience for two people and guitars. I have a theory that they are guitar heroes for twentysomethings, who didn't have anyone like Hendrix or Clapton to worship. They have invented a new genre, which Q calls thrash metal flamenco, which is as good a description as I can think of.

Gomez - closed the Avalon stage. A while since I've seen them and I managed to catch the last half hour. A nice way to finish last night.

My son and his mate are scouring the Sky+ tape looking for themselves in the crowd for Orbital, which included a stage appearance for a Rovers fan - Matt Smith. he's the second that I know of, after me last year <_<

Other than that, a bit too much beer and not enough sleep.

I'd like to add Rrradio Gee to the list of great things at Glasto. They play in a little van in a corner of the theatre field, after all the main bands have finished. Belting Irish covers and some original stuff, brilliant musicians. Saw them on Friday, went back the next two nights for more.

Faithless were awesome on the Pyramid. Florence did a great show on the other stage, shame the mic broke towards the end and she did an entire song with no vocals.

My feet are destroyed.

seems to be a lot of festival fans on here, was wondering is anyone has ever made it out to rock werchter in Belgium? My best friend was born there and goes back every summer and always come back with crazy stories from this place.

I havn't been and don't intend to this year (although I did consider it) but you're right about the festival fans thing, anyone else think that euro-festivals (save Glasto) are far better than our domestic ones? I went to Open'er fest in Poland last year and was just about the best thing i've ever done, i'm headed to Poland again this year but to Krakow to go to Coke Live fest where Muse and Chemical Brothers are playing, can't wait as these are the only two I really want to see and the only place to see them both, you off to Rock Werchter then American?

I havn't been and don't intend to this year (although I did consider it) but you're right about the festival fans thing, anyone else think that euro-festivals (save Glasto) are far better than our domestic ones? I went to Open'er fest in Poland last year and was just about the best thing i've ever done, i'm headed to Poland again this year but to Krakow to go to Coke Live fest where Muse and Chemical Brothers are playing, can't wait as these are the only two I really want to see and the only place to see them both, you off to Rock Werchter then American?

I was actually considering it this year, but chose for a cheaper holiday instead. There were quite a few names on that lineup though that made me really think about where to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What does everyone make of the new Arcade Fire? It looks set to catapult them up with the biggest bands in the world going by the midweek sales/publicity/reviews.

Was pretty underwhelmed by it at first but it is growing on me. Doesn't come close to Funeral though.

Only listened to it twice, so it might grow on me, but it's terrible so far. Boring. Another step backwards from Funeral. Can't believe how positive the reviews have been. The songs seem like diluted versions of Neon Bible, albeit with far-less interesting subject matter. Worst of all, the production is terrible. For such a loud, intense band the CD is far too muted - you can barely distinguish Win's voice.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded Klaxons second album 'Surfing The Void' and played it about 4 times in a row at work this morning, was expecting them to switch to a totally different style of music in the wake of all the crappy 'Nu Rave' bands that came about after 'Myths of The Near Future' but they've kept the same sound and improved on it to make (imo) an even better album. If you liked the first album you'll love this...

It`s nice to hear Jamiroqai is bringing out some new stuff in December.After a 5yr break from his last album,hopefully he will be fresh and raring to go. :tu:

Not everybody`s cup of tea due to his drunken antics when he was younger,but there is no doubting he is a very talented musician.

What does everyone make of the new Arcade Fire? It looks set to catapult them up with the biggest bands in the world going by the midweek sales/publicity/reviews.

Was pretty underwhelmed by it at first but it is growing on me. Doesn't come close to Funeral though.

Was anticipating this as an album of the year but am also quite underwhelmed by it, really like the track Rococo and a couple of others but it's nothing on the previous two albums.

I am going LCCC gig in September, kind of looking forward to Editors but their newer stuff isn't the best. Got the Band Of Sculls album who are also supporting and it is very good, I got into Big Pink after seeing them support at Echo Arena in November.

Agree with Bellamy11 regarding some of the recent stuff, I really really hope they dont follow the same setlists they have been doing on the stadium tour over here. We need the older, heavier classics to be a big part of the show.... and WHAT A STAGE it will be played on. Jeeesus

Have your tickets arrived yet? :huh:

It`s only a few weeks off & they haven`t materialised as of yet.

I hope there`s no cock-ups.

btw....caught the Muse glasto show on telly. They played a stonkingly good show! :tu:

Have your tickets arrived yet? :huh:

It`s only a few weeks off & they haven`t materialised as of yet.

I hope there`s no cock-ups.

btw....caught the Muse glasto show on telly. They played a stonkingly good show! :tu:

My tickets for Wembley have not come, but my tickets for LCCC came a week or two ago.

Only listened to it twice, so it might grow on me, but it's terrible so far. Boring. Another step backwards from Funeral. Can't believe how positive the reviews have been. The songs seem like diluted versions of Neon Bible, albeit with far-less interesting subject matter. Worst of all, the production is terrible. For such a loud, intense band the CD is far too muted - you can barely distinguish Win's voice.

Not as good as their last album, which tbh was overrated anyway. They're a bit like Radiohead - critical darlings who could release any old tosh and it would instantly get 5-star reviews by the self appointed 'serious' music press.

Looking forward to the new Interpol, Grinderman and Black Mountain albums.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.