BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Penalty Takers

dmc

the pens on sunday were awfull i still have not got over sunday yet surely only us can go and miss 2 pens so late on in the game

when the next pen comes along i would like to see Emerton to take it after all he hasn't put a foot wrong all season he is up to now with out any doubt are player of the year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am i right in thinking that Cantona missed a penalty at Ewood (or rather, Flowers saved it)? My Dad says Cantona never missed whilst in England but I'm almost certain he missed when we lost 3-2 once?

Yep, April 12th 1997. Flowers saved it. The beauty of the internet.

Apparently he also missed against Liverpool one time.

There was a West Ham player in the late eighties/early nineties (name escapes me) who had a great technique...took a long run-up then smashed it. It always went the same place but it was so well struck the keeper couldn't get near it. Not Julian Dicks, although he did seem to pick up on the method.

Ray Stewart?

Roberts shouldn't be let near another penalty again, he should be chastised for that miss. He screamed for the ball with arms aloft as soon as the penalty had been given, to take it that tamely after doing so was a disgrace.

I'd be happy with Savage taking them, although I'd like to see how Nonda takes them, I don't think we'd see any stupid side footed efforts if he were to take them.

Other clubs? Ray Stewart was a left back for West Ham and he just pelted the thing, I don't know if he ever missed one but it looked good when he ran up.

There was a West Ham player in the late eighties/early nineties (name escapes me) who had a great technique...took a long run-up then smashed it. It always went the same place but it was so well struck the keeper couldn't get near it. Not Julian Dicks, although he did seem to pick up on the method.

Best way to take them, none of this small run-up and then softly side-footing into the keeper's arms rubbish we saw twice on Sunday.

Ray Stewart?

That's who I thought it was as well, couldn't remember his name. Good work OJ.

Do I not get any credit here?

From the BBC:

Ray Stewart Hard-tackling Scottish international who made 431 appearances for West Ham and scored 84 goals(76 pens) before joining St Johnstone in 1991. Managed Livingston and Stirling Albion before moving to Forfar in February 2003. Sacked in 2004, has recently been working as a chauffeur.

nothing to do with my brain, you moron.

i saw him practising pens before the game at boro and then checked it out.

I'm the moron but you're the one not using your brain? Hmmm ;)

Sorry Pleasure but I've got no faith in your 'inside info' anymore. If you were right about MGP, I consider it coincidental.

I'm the moron but you're the one not using your brain? Hmmm ;)

Sorry Pleasure but I've got no faith in your 'inside info' anymore. If you were right about MGP, I consider it coincidental.

I said a few pages back, Gamst spoke to some of the staff in BRSCN after the bolton match and said he IS the designated penalty taker and would have taken the penalties if he still was on the pitch (with other words, would have taken the pens if he wasn't that sh1t :P)

So I think you can trust Pleasure on this one bluebruce...

Dont rem many stopping Julian Dick's pens. Great technique he had......Run up, keep your head over the ball and twatt it as hard as you can! Goalers never ever save those they can only occasionally get hit by them. It really does work best imo.

Franny Jeffers obviously reads this board! :D

Plenty more handy hints where that came from Franny so don't be afraid to ask!

The best penalty takers generally follow the following technique: hit it hard into one of the top corners, Zidane and Shearer both followed it.

Cheeky chips and hitting it Jeffers style will help in the rare case, but you cant hit every penalty liek that.

Zidane often placed his penalties (the World Cup final being a good example). Shearer only ever hit them hard really, but I think it is perfectly acceptable to try and place as long as you are committed.

I bet you that if you put it down the middle everytime you'd have a pretty decent conversion rate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.