SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Penalty Takers

dmc

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the absence of Dickov and Bellamy, both of whom took penalties last season, I'd imagine it would have to be Neill. He took a penalty against Man Utd whilst Savage was still on the pitch, so I would imagine it has been decided amongst the squad that Neill is first choice.

I remember that MGP's vs Bournmouth was a good one, and as he can strike a ball well you'd think he has a good penalty in him. On the other hand, Tugay fits that criteria and his penalty record is not so good,

Should be somebody who can hit a ball well with precision

MGP would be my first choice dependant on what McCarthy is like with Neill (if still here) or Reid the next in line.

Roberts doesn't strike me as a good penalty taker and Savage does not convince me at all.

"The coolest man on the pitch" - some commentator when Lucas sent Australia to the WC with his penalty. Quality pen. against Manure by the way..

I personally thought it was a bad penalty against United. Like Ashley Cole's Vs Portugal in 2004, it looked good because the keeper went the wrong way. It wasn't hit hard or in the corner - it would have been a routine save if van der Sar had guessed correctly. And I don't believe he intentionally waited for the keeper to dive the other way.

I would say MGP but I've seen too many left footers miss penalties. Now if he really is two footed and can keep the keepers guessing as to which foot he is going to use it could be good. Otherwise Neill.

I would say MGP but I've seen too many left footers miss penalties. Now if he really is two footed and can keep the keepers guessing as to which foot he is going to use it could be good. Otherwise Neill.

How would that work? Taking a dead straight run-up and not getting enough angle to hit it hard towards the corners?

That is exactly what Tom Finney used to do. He was well known to be equally good with either foot, and he used to place the ball with the utmost precision in a place of his own choice; usually JUST inside one of the posts barely missing the post. Keepers had no chance, especially as in those days Refs were red hot on the the rule that keepers must stand with both feet flat on the line and not be allowed to move at all until the ball was struck.

• 2 months later...

In light of Bolton (H) and with the additional insight of Lucas clearly on his way out and now having evaluted (albeit very limited) Benni and Roberts penalty taking skill.

Perhaps a poll on our penalty takers with 2nd and 3rd choice elaborated on via a post?

In light of Bolton (H) and with the additional insight of Lucas clearly on his way out and now having evaluted (albeit very limited) Benni and Roberts penalty taking skill.

Perhaps a poll on our penalty takers with 2nd and 3rd choice elaborated on via a post?

MGP is the designated pen taker at the moment.

however, if i were benni and roberts, i'd be asking to take the next one.

Should be somebody who can hit a ball well with precision

MGP would be my first choice dependant on what McCarthy is like with Neill (if still here) or Reid the next in line.

Roberts doesn't strike me as a good penalty taker and Savage does not convince me at all.

Maybe they should have let me decide B)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.