BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Oldest Known Film Clip Of A Football Match In The World?

Interesting footage of what was claimed to be THE OLDEST KNOWN RECORDING OF A FOOTBALL MATCH IN THE WORLD played at Ewood between Rovers and WBA 1898!!.The short,grainy clip was featured in the football series 'kicking and screaming' screened a few years ago on the BBC.

Taken fron the Darwen end, the houses that were on Kidder st are clearly visable behind what was to become the Blackburn end.Great footage that should be cherised...absolutely priceless images of a golden era long gone.

LOVE IT! :rover:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Isn't it about time Rovers produced its own History on DVD.There must be hundreds of priceless clips of film like this at the North West Film Archive and PATHE NEWS SITE(type in Blackburn Rovers)

Rovers have a great past and colourful future.Has the club any plans to archive its history on film Lee or is it just another apathetic case of 'no demand for that kind of thing' :rolleyes:

P.S. Whatever happened to the 'Rovers museum' that was mooted a few years ago?

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

we do need some creativity, dont we? :lol::wstu:

seriously though, amazing talent. absolutely amazing.

Watched the clip over and over again!! How can 13 year old kid pass the ball like that!? Absolutely amazing!

Shame that Valencia already signed him.

Watched the clip over and over again!! How can 13 year old kid pass the ball like that!? Absolutely amazing!

Shame that Valencia already signed him.

Actually, according to this page, Schalke 04 has signed this kid (who's 13 years old now) not long ago. I find it very strange that Valencia didn't keep hold of him... :blink:

Edited by mohelger

Interesting footage of what was claimed to be THE OLDEST KNOWN RECORDING OF A FOOTBALL MATCH IN THE WORLD played at Ewood between Rovers and WBA 1898!!.The short,grainy clip was featured in the football series 'kicking and screaming' screened a few years ago on the BBC.

Taken fron the Darwen end, the houses that were on Kidder st are clearly visable behind what was to become the Blackburn end.Great footage that should be cherised...absolutely priceless images of a golden era long gone.

LOVE IT! :rover:

Back to the 1898 clip

Quality find :tu: I just love this sort of stuff.

At least we won!!

Although the scoreline differs from this page

John Willaims won't be happy, we started the evil that is football on TV.

Shouldn't we get a percentage of money from every televised football match, that would be good :D

Quite right! This proves that Blackburn Rovers 'invented' Football on TV. Maybe someone should claim royalties from Sky Sports.

Edited by MC

Back to the 1898 clip

Quality find :tu: I just love this sort of stuff.

At least we won!!

Although the scoreline differs from this page

Quite right! This proves that Blackburn Rovers 'invented' Football on TV. Maybe someone should claim royalties from Sky Sports.

Would be great...tv wasn't invented for quite a while after though, so I doubt we've much of a claim! This will have been made for the old projector screens. I can imagine the first armchair fans sitting in a 'cinema' to view it!

check out the fantasic pathe news site & see what a Blackburn/Burnley fa cup 6th round tie at Ewood in front of 52,920 looks like. :tu:

does anyone happen to know the scoreline from this game?

(found it, it was 4-1)

oh and talking about prodigies, does anyone some english kid that was on ajax's books 10-14 years ago?

i remember when i was at school we always watched this video on Ajax's youth policy and they had this long haired english kid...christ knows what his name was, but i always (well, once in a while) wonder what became of him.

Edited by Yan

check out the fantasic pathe news site & see what a Blackburn/Burnley fa cup 6th round tie at Ewood in front of 52,920 looks like. :tu:

I am one of the 50k+ fans that was there and can remember it well. According to Mike Jackman's book the attendance was 53, 839. There seems to be some disparity about the actual number, because I can assure you as one who has stood on the BBE and the Riverside at a number of matches where the crowd was given in the 50k+ range you get an impression from looking around the ground and also by the feel of how crowded and difficult to move it is on these occasions. I know that is only ever going to give you a vague and innacurate estimate of the actual figure , but it gives you a "feel" for the range i.e. at least 50k or about 45k etc.

On that Monday night I went down very early because I knew it would be a huge crowd being a replay against Burnley and I was right. Even then the queues all round the ground were tremendous and amongst the longest I have seen at Ewood. Can't remember how long I was in the queue but I eventually got in to the BBE, and then it took me about another 15 mins to stuggle through the crowd to get to a place where I could see properly. I finished up right at the back at the top of the BBE and pressed against the Kidder street wall. When they eventually kicked-off there was (so I was told later) some 10k or so still outside and these were locked out because the police decided the ground was already well over filled. Now I have never known this to happen before or since, and given that Rovers official record attendance was given as around 63k or so in a match against Bolton pre-war, I am sure that the official figure for the Burnley game must have been much lower than the actual attendance.

What do any others that were there think?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.