BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reffing Effs

His shirt was clearly pulled which took him off balance. In real life i couldn't see it but it's very clear on the replay and your instincts say that a top striker would not go down in that position, with a goal almost certain.

Modes, I wish I was as nice as you. But these days, I'm nto so sure a striker wouldn't prefer to bang in a pen rather than fight through an illegal challenge and risk a miss.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modes, I wish I was as nice as you. But these days, I'm nto so sure a striker wouldn't prefer to bang in a pen rather than fight through an illegal challenge and risk a miss.

I would think he would of taken the penalty anyway and you would think he has more chance of scoring from there than from the spot. I suppose he could be a AJ and diving at every opportunity. <_<

I know Andy Johnson got a bit of a reputation last year because of Arsene Wenger and Neil Warnock coming on TV after the games and deliberatle slandering him, if they had said the same thing about the Referees they would have been hauled up in front of an FA enquiry.

It got so bad last season that David Moyes with the agreement of the club, put together a video of eight penalties that had been refused against AJ and put it to the League Referees Commitee, they agreed that 6 of those penalties should have been awarded.

But have things changed ? certainly not , in fact we at EFC are wondering if AJ will ever be given another penalty at all.

He stands five foot eight inches and weighs about nine stone, moves pretty fast so if he gets hit by a 6ft 13 stone defender he's going to go down, he doesnt look for penalties every time he goes down, but we would just like to get the odd one now and again when he goes down after an obvious foul, but it seems that after the amount of mud thats been thrown at him, some of it is still sticking, give him a break he's an honest lad, and certainly not a cheat.

give him a break he's an honest lad, and certainly not a cheat.

Players get reputations, that's the modern game. Every ref knows every player and the ones to look out for.

He may be honest but the man spends 45mins of a match on his backside, be that by fair or unfair means. He got plenty of free kicks so i don't think you can blame the refs for being that biased against him.

Andy Johnson is still paying for a reputation he picked up at Palace. He has also been caught out at Everton, particularly in his early days. He now suffers from the same problem as Ronaldo i.e. many of his legitimate claims are waved away. This isn't particularly "fair" on Moyles because he had no influence over AJ at Palace, but I think this is certainly a big factor.

AJ does spend a lot of time on the ground, and he is known to go down - shall we say - easily. He is reaping what he sowed a long time ago, whether that is Everton's fault or not.

Modes.. "He got plenty of free kicks so i don't think you can blame the refs for being that biased against him".

But thats the problem, he never gets a free kick INSIDE the box. you can't imagine what this has done to him, he's only half the player that we bought. Theres a feeling at Goodison that he might chuck it all in and retire, when you see him coming off the pitch after being kicked all over the park and getting no justice, you might come to understand it.

Defenders have that in mind and play on it, because they know that 9 times out of 10 the ref wont give it.

Edited by licker

Modes.. "He got plenty of free kicks so i don't think you can blame the refs for being that biased against him".

But thats the problem, he never gets a free kick INSIDE the box. you can't imagine what this has done to him, he's only half the player that we bought. Theres a feeling at Goodison that he might chuck it all in and retire, when you see him coming off the pitch after being kicked all over the park and getting no justice, you might come to understand it.

Defenders have that in mind and play on it, because they know that 9 times out of 10 the ref wont give it.

It's a pity they don't do the same for C. Ronaldo. When you see that Manu. have a penalty you can usually bet that it is from a Ronaldo dive.

Andy Johnson is still paying for a reputation he picked up at Palace. He has also been caught out at Everton, particularly in his early days. He now suffers from the same problem as Ronaldo i.e. many of his legitimate claims are waved away. This isn't particularly "fair" on Moyles because he had no influence over AJ at Palace, but I think this is certainly a big factor.

AJ does spend a lot of time on the ground, and he is known to go down - shall we say - easily. He is reaping what he sowed a long time ago, whether that is Everton's fault or not.

And you could say that we deserve all of the dodgy yellow and red cards that we get because we were a bit rough about 3yrs ago...

And you could say that we deserve all of the dodgy yellow and red cards that we get because we were a bit rough about 3yrs ago...

How far can you extend that? The personnel at a club changes. Andy Johnson, as far as I'm aware, is the same person. I don't think he dives as much as he used to, but his reputation now preceedes him.

My heart sank when I saw Fatty Wiley waddle out to ref the game on Saturday. That pie-boy missed every decision in the game - both sides had legitimate reasons to complain - but the argument that the bad decisions levelled themselves out simply isnt good enough.

Fans of both sides had paid their money and turned out in good numbers expecting to see a fairly officiated contest, not a comedy of errors in which players who grab others by the throat are allowed to stay on the pitch because the ref was too knackered to keep up with play and both he and his comedy 'assistant' failed to see it. Dunn was also lucky to stay on as his hand ball was stupidly deliberate and deserved a booking. Benni was pulled back in the box for a clear penalty; their disallowed goal was offside in the replays but the confusion at the time ought to have been allayed by the ref taking time to speak clearly to both captains to explain why it was disallowed.

Another inadequate referreeing performance in a season of farce means it must surely be time to bring in video replays on key decisions (penalty shouts, dodgy offsides, bad challenges, etc.) The fourth official & the technology are there, so why not use them?

Oh, and stick Wiley on a diet or dont let him ref again.

Edited by The Harwood Yankee

he's only half the player that we bought. Theres a feeling at Goodison that he might chuck it all in and retire,

because they know that 9 times out of 10 the ref wont give it.

So he is worth around £4m now then? Whatever you say about him he score goals and there is no chance he will retire, just move to another club if need be.

That's an exaggeration he got more free kicks against us that he didn't get. I would assume it's the same in most matches as well. Strikers tend to get a bit of the rub of green when backing into defenders, etc.

If he has a problem then he needs to adapt his game, much like Ronaldo has. If he can't then fair enough but your not going to change the impression by crying about it, get into the gym and work on upper body strength.

because they know that 9 times out of 10 the ref wont give it.

That quote was referring to fouls in the box, he never gets them and defenders know this. :rolleyes:

Fair do's licker as you see alot more of him than what we do, but I think we all know that its the same for alot of players (and teams), including your very own Lescott ;) .

However, and this is nothing to do with media /tv reputation reporting but what I have seen myself and I'll admit I ain't no Johnson fan, but I didn't see anything different with him on Saturday to his palace (hate them) days, and he still goes to ground far too easily (you certainly don't see the likes of Owen etc doing the same). How he is anywhere near the England set up is beyond me - but that is just my opinion.

As for Wiley, as some have already posted, there where a fair few Rovers fans cringing when his name was announced as the ref as he does seem to find cards easy to wave at Rovers players however he was bad for both teams and moreso you Toffee men, and dare I say it Johnson in particular.

I don't know what its like for you guys at Goodison, but trying not to look through blinkers we feel justified to say we get a raw deal more than alot of clubs from the officials - including some very very very blatant decisions going against us.

How an everton fan this season can complain about referee decisions is unfathomable....

They have the largest foul to card ratio int he Prem, by a large margin. They could get a yellow card for their next 25 fouls (which would be about 2 matches worth) and Rovers would still have about the same fouls to card ratio as Everton. Its amazing.

Don't hold your breath licker. If he chucks in about 2 million a year because he gets no justice I'll swim across the Mersey. Maybe if he played in football boots instead of on roller skates he'd get more justice from all.

I can see you lads are still taking the character assasination of a few seasons ago as gospel, and you only see him probably 2 times a season at best, and thats the reason he's nowhere near the England team now,

I wont go any further with it cos i've made my point and you've made yours, but i just hope it never happens to one of your players.

Nice enjoyable discussion tho, Cheers lads. :)

Thing is, have you seen how small david Bentley is? and what about Aaron Lennon? But they do their best to sty on their feet, and even Ronaldo the arch-diver has realised that you do far better most of the time if you stay on your feet. Then when you are fouled, wherever on the pitch it happens, you stand more chance of getting what you deserve. Think back to Jansen who looked like a puff of wind would blow him away but he would get chopped down, keep the ball get up and run on. All this excuse about Johnson being small and light weight is a myth put out by Everton fans to try to influence people in Johnson's favour. And if he retires over the fact that he doesn't get free kicks as often as he thinks he should then he still hasn't grown up from when he was a kid at Birmingham.

Thing is, have you seen how small david Bentley is? and what about Aaron Lennon? But they do their best to sty on their feet,

Bentley does his best to stay on his feet. :blink:

Sometimes people should take the blinkers off when looking at their own club.

Edited by Hasta

I know Andy Johnson got a bit of a reputation last year

AJCordingley2.jpg

Going back to refs in general, Graham Poll is probably earning a lot more now that he's retired from refereeing than he ever was before. With an autobiography, newspaper column, guest appearances on Match Of The Day 2 and Football Focus, after-dinner speaking engagements etc, he's no doubt loving the fact that he's still in the limelight.

There's a rumour that he's going to introduce a special range of Graham Poll clothing and merchandise. Ashley Cole is not impressed. Cole said: "If you ask me he's just trying to make money. I think it's disgusting. I would never have any part in it."

There's a danger when referees enjoy headlines and like seeing their name in the papers. It feeds some of their egos and may subconsciously influence some of their decisions.

As the old cliche goes - the best referees are the ones you don't notice.

Pierluigi Collina "was" the best ref in the world, shame about the way it all ended with the sponsorship stuff etc.

apparently these days, he is a financial advisor with his own business and he is still involved in football as "non-paid" consultant to the Italian Football Referees Association (AIA), and is a member of the UEFA Referees Committee.

he also did some work with pro evo too.

there was speculation he would referee in the premiership one day though i doubt that would ever happen now.

Wiley Dropped

Wiley has been dropped for allowing Blackburn to get a point against Everton. He correctly followed FA instructions and didn't give the blatant penalty on Benni McCarthy, however he then failed to follow the FA Directive and give Andrew 'Diver' Johnson a penalty kick at the other end. :P

Even worse the Linesman has been dropped as well. I thought he was brilliant at the weekend. B)

However the worse bit of the article is the murdering of the English language by Dominic King.

Referee Alan Wiley, who failed to show David Dunn a second yellow card for deliberate handball and never pointed to the spot when Andrew Johnson was fouled by Zurab Khizanishvili, will not be allowed to take charge of a game this weekend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.