BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipswich 'bigger Than Blackburn' According To Moron

Don't think this has been posted elsewhere, forgive me if it has. But get this:

Fool

Gary Roberts (who?) seems to think they're bigger than us, despite the fact we've won four times as many trophies, and are in the Premier League. Interesting. Explains why they just took our fifth (arguably sixth) choice striker on loan.

Noticed this a few days ago too.. "Who are you" has probably never been a more fitting response.

Since when did attendance become the 1st thing you look at to judge a team anyway? Okay, he does say that Ipswich has fine facilities and all that - but I doubt their facilities are much better than the ones at Brockhall. A team playing in the UEFA Cup and is fighting with the top ten teams in the Premiership for the 5th and 6th spot are a bigger and better team than one playing in the Championship - no matter how many people they get in their ground every other Saturday.

And isn't Ipswich just a countryside town anyway?

Fellow Roverites

I haven't followed the link to this story because, in my opinion, it is irrelevant whether someone believes Ipswich are bigger than Blackburn. We are who we are and where we are is where we are. In my view we are a small town club punching well above our weight and long may that continue. The "bigger than" argument is a pointless discussion in the same vein as Burnley/Rovers attendances.

Who cares. We're good and they aren't. All this big club stuff is a load of old crap. Newcastle are seen as a big club, yet we usually finish higher than them and win more trophies. As long as that continues I don't care if people think we're the size of Jimmy Krankie.

Maybe they're bigger cos they lost 9-0 at ManUre

Ferg's post match interview: "There are no easy games in the Premiership, except maybe Ipswich at home"

To borrow what Manchester Blue said on the Citeh thread: They only talk about attendences cos they've won nowt.

i've rels who live there, and to call the place 'sleepy' is an understatement!

on this alone,

if you gave footballers the choice - of playing for rovers or ipswich, (even if they were both premiership teams), i'm sure every one of them would choose rovers.

ipswich are bound to have a larger catchment area (than us), (they are a 1 club town and there are no clubs for miles around).

however, it doesnt always equate to teams having the backing of the whole town. my young cousins, and their mates, all support either arsenal/ chelski .... or, of course ... rovers.

compare honours here :

us :

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Hon...,,10303,00.html

them :

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Histo...~347323,00.html

Always helps to get decent gates when you've got a catchment area the size of a Benelux country. Take 3 Premiership and a couple of Championship sides from the North West and we would get comfortably bigger gates than Ipswich.

You're beginning to sound like Theno! :rolleyes:

Well as football becomes more and more about bussiness and less and less about pride and passion (the middle class middle managers who pass for football supporters these days seem to lack this in my opinion) - its only a mater of time before we have our first club 'takeover'.

And those who laugh, it was unthinkable 25 years ago that MK Dons could exsist.

When anyone talks about Ipswich Town my mind immediately goes to the Bobby Robson team of the early 80s which really did punch above the club's weight. Mariner, Brazil, Mick Mills, Thyssen & Muhren, Eric Gates. That was a quality team, the success of which secured Robson the Barcelona & England jobs.

Ipswich have done nothing of note since except promote the use of tractors. As such they're welcome to their vainglorious 'Big Club' claims. And to Francis 'Wingnut' 'Has-been' Jeffers.

Ipswich never have been nor ever will be a big club. Fact.

Their most notable achievement was not only in supplying two England managers but most importantly the one who actually won the World Cup! I cannot see his like ever emerging again.... A national manager completely unaffected and able to totally ignore the massed ranks of the press and media.... and his bosses is impossible to imagine.

Weve got a bigger trophy cabinet...

Four times bigger in fact. 12 trophies to their 3. I'm not sure why attendances are so often spoke of in regards to a club's size. For me the most important things are always the current status of the team, and the overall trophy haul of the club. Both of which of course we murder Ipswich with. I'm happy enough to agree with people who say it doesn't really matter- blue and white til I die. But it does rankle me a bit when some player I've never heard of from some no mark club thinks they're bigger than us. More than that though, it amuses me.

I am a bit bemused by this. Ipwich's average attendance is only around 1,000 more than ours. And while there is a valid argument that in the Premiership they would get more you can hardly say that in reality the difference in average support is going to be more than three or four thousand. So in terms of attendances we are in the same sort of bracket.

And then, as others have said, in terms of trophies we are leagues ahead. And how on earth do Ipwich have better fascilities than us? Brockhall is one of the leading academy/training units in the country. And our stadium is excellent...

I just think he's looking at the the attendance just like Newcastle, Big club?, what have they won in the last 50 years?

They won the 1st Division in their first year up in the early 60's, the FA cup in 78 and they either won, or got to the final of the EUFA cup.

The team that won the league had a player who the Rovers had let go.

They won the 1st Division in their first year up in the early 60's, the FA cup in 78 and they either won, or got to the final of the EUFA cup.

The team that won the league had a player who the Rovers had let go.

They won the UEFA Cup. Fair enough. But that's one of only three trophies they have to our 12.

They won the UEFA Cup. Fair enough. But that's one of only three trophies they have to our 12.

Indeed, but the previous poster asked what they had won in the last 50 years and it's not a bad record.

Indeed, it shows how times have changed as one of the stalwarts of their 70's team had played for us-Allan Hunter.

Archived