BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Flag Etiquette

How does one fly a flag at Ewood? Do you just tie it to a rail or...? Hypo-luxa is taking the Texas Rovers flag to Ewood and Stamford Bridge this season and inquiring minds want to know how to fly it properly.

Thanks in advance. I promise he won't be drumming.

How does one fly a flag at Ewood? Do you just tie it to a rail or...? Hypo-luxa is taking the Texas Rovers flag to Ewood and Stamford Bridge this season and inquiring minds want to know how to fly it properly.

As far as I know you will be able to tie it to a rail no problem - as long as its not covering a sponsor of course.

Also, you could wave it around a bit before the match - but not during - that wouldn't be welcome.

All this depends on what mood GOD - sorry I mean the steward is in that day

As far as I know you will be able to tie it to a rail no problem - as long as its not covering a sponsor of course.

Also, you could wave it around a bit before the match - but not during - that wouldn't be welcome.

All this depends on what mood GOD - sorry I mean the steward is in that day

Don't you think it's interesting to see what's the difference in terms of flag-use by fans when you compare the EPL to other leagues? In Spain, Italy, Germany, France and also here in Holland there are bunches of fans who are waving the flags before the match and also during the match, the so called 'tifosi'. Never understood that, because there must be people who get annoyed by that, but anyways...are there a lot of flags at Ewood? Saw quite a few in the away stand at Boro last saturday :tu:

Very few flags at home (not least because there is nowhere to hang them on the lower teirs) other than the odd kid with a small one on a stick.

I've been trying for ages to get somebody in the family stand to hang one of our flags at home games, but frankly, they are a bit off faff to look a (who wants to drag a huge flag around the pub) so nobody wants to offer.

The wiki has some "action shots" of the Site Flags.

it would be great if the Club could arrange for flags to be draped from the BBEnd Upper Tier.

ie. drop them off before the game (must be delivered by say half hour before kick-off) and pick up after. It would look great and take up very little Steward time, and effort.

Glenn and Preston Blue - the club want atmosphere - this is an issue that's been discussed before. Arrangements need to be made so that people can bring flags and display them somewhere. Perhaps the next Fans Forum could look at it. Maybe if the stewards aren't able to help/advise a group of fans could be in charge of displaying flags. I know many like to lurk in the pub up to kick-off but if there was a sort of rotation basis?

Perhaps I could take one into the JW this season? :ph34r:

I wasn't at the FF meeting last night but gather a small sub-committee is being set up to look at atmosphere. The group will meet next Tuesday to start discussion. I would suggest this should be the first item on the agenda. It cannot be beyond the wit of fans and club to organise hanging flags. How about this? Fans flags to be kept at club with head steward for each section / stand to be responsible for ensuring they are hung before each game, removed and stored afterwards. Surely the brfcs.com flag could be used this way no one drags it around as far as I know?

The only rule I know of is flags should not cover sponsors advertising.

Good idea, Paul.

I notice a few more flags are going on travels as well so that needs to be taken into account. Shouldn't be difficult to sort out. Rather - even if there are problems it would be worth doing, it's about time flags were encouraged.

To add to that, hopefully when the issue regarding the club shop is sorted, items to promote atmosphere could once again be sold including a range of flags of varying sizes, balloons, face paints, etc.

Guest fernhurstblue

the only problem, although a major problem is that the only spaces (i can think of) that would be available to hang flags are taken up by advertising boards ..... i agree the the top tier of the blackburn end would be best ..... just cant see the club refusing money for advertising so the fans can hang flags up.

if and its a big if the FF pulled it off, it would a real feather in its cap!

I wasn't at the FF meeting last night but gather a small sub-committee is being set up to look at atmosphere.

All sounds way too formal!

There are a group of people who are meeting in a pub for a chat next Tuesday, all are welcome, some are seeking input on Sunday from the more obvious sources of info.

Sort of on the same theme, I see from the Scummings column in the LT that they had claret & blue bunting on Harry Potts Way last weekend. Something that was talked about on here a few months back, ie. having blue & white bunting along Bolton Road. Don't hold your breath.

I have mentioned this in the past but I have the Norwegian Supporters Club Flag. A group of lads were over from Norway, a couple of seasons ago, on one of their many, long pilgramages and being able to put the flag up would have been good for them. Guess what? Told to take it down and whilst admittedly it covered a small advert, over in the Darwen End there were an assortment of flags in the same mirror position. :brfc:

There are a group of people who are meeting in a pub for a chat next Tuesday, all are welcome, some are seeking input on Sunday from the more obvious sources of info.

To be fair, the FF chairman is going to great lengths to distance this from both the FF and the club, it just so happens that a few of the people behind this were at the FF last night.

To be fair, the FF chairman is going to great lengths to distance this from both the FF and the club, it just so happens that a few of the people behind this were at the FF last night.

Sorry I know that, I mwant that a "sub-committee" is too formal to describe it.

Just a word of warning.

The stewards at Stamford Bridge are known to be quite unpleasant - towards the away fans at least.

Don't think I've ever been there when someone wasn't thrown out (I don't go anymore - too expensive).

You could be ok, but the stewards are the reason that the Bridge is my least favourite away ground. <_<

If it's a very large flag, you could drop Chelsea an email just to check whether they have a rule about it.

Just a word of warning.

The stewards at Stamford Bridge are known to be quite unpleasant - towards the away fans at least.

Don't think I've ever been there when someone wasn't thrown out (I don't go anymore - too expensive).

You could be ok, but the stewards are the reason that the Bridge is my least favourite away ground. <_<

If it's a very large flag, you could drop Chelsea an email just to check whether they have a rule about it.

Already did. As long as it doesn't cover advertising and isn't larger than 5'x8' it's flyable at Stamford Bridge. This particular one is 3'x5' so it should be fine. Away stands at Stamford Bridge are also where the cameras sit, so I've arranged for some Chelsea season ticket holders to take pics of the flag flying there.

Guest fernhurstblue

from past experience a lot of talking happens in relation to these things but for some reason or another not much gets done ..... why not just run a test event against MyPa-47 when I am sure the top tier of the BBE will be closed ..... get the word out and about, people wanting to put their flag up get them to the club (for example) two hours before kick-off then they can be put up ..... that will give everyone concerened some sort of idea how much interest / support there is for the idea?

Well now I've been identified as the bloke running around with the Texas Rovers flag. I was hoping to skulk around in anonymity, but now I've been 'outed'. :lol:

But in reading everyone's responses it looks as if I'd be best served to tie the flag to the BBE Upper. How does it work if I have tickets for another section but want to tie it in another? Do the stewards whip out the batons for this type of insolence or are they pretty cool about it.

Also, I know I may be a little paranoid, but if I did tie it in a different area what's to stop someone from nicking it? I know it's Blackburn and not Liverpool, but still, I'd be a bit worried...

Guest fernhurstblue
I've already email the club about this today :)

It would be interesting to hear the club's response ..... i wont be able to put my flag up, my mate left it on the 'love bus' back from vetra, think the vodka must have kicked in :)

Already did. As long as it doesn't cover advertising and isn't larger than 5'x8' it's flyable at Stamford Bridge. This particular one is 3'x5' so it should be fine. Away stands at Stamford Bridge are also where the cameras sit, so I've arranged for some Chelsea season ticket holders to take pics of the flag flying there.

I'd just take a copy of the email with you. Some people are just jobsworths - i.e. unpleasant for the sake of it, and these Chelsea stewards sound as if they might be a bit like that. Hope you have a great time!

Good work, Glenn. It's issues like where can we put flags that don't sound a big deal at the time but it can make a great deal of difference. Needs sorting.

I was just going from the way it was put to me, I wasn't there. Obviously I got the wrong impression.

Flags??? Nah! Yer caaarnt beet 56,000 on Ewood, ALL wi' cloth caps, belted raincooats, an' waving't rattles. :P

me dads always goin on about his old rattle... :) .....what about when they all had to swap ends at half time too............

Archived