BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Help Me, My Clothes Keep Getting Ruined In The Wash!

Hey everyone, I was hoping somebody could help me with this. For the best part of 18 months my clothes are gradually, one by one, becoming ruined in the wash. They get small smudge like areas of the garment changing colour, or being bleached. I'm not sure which. Usually, these smudges are pink in colour but a green jumper of mine started turning yellow in areas instead.

Now I have no idea what is causing this. I have tried about four or five different powders and tablets as well as fabric conditioners. I try my best to keep dark and light clothes seperate. I can't imagine this is the result of any every7 day product that I might be using for personal hygeine or for grooming as I was my hands thoroughly after using my roll on, non powdery deodorant, my hair gel or the occasional time I use after shave balm.

I'm at a loss here and am rapidly beginning to lose it at having my favourite clothes becoming spoilt and having to fork out for new ones.

Has anybody had any similar problems? Any tips on how the hell to prevent this? Please help!

OMG IM TOTALLY STUCK FOR WORDS!!!

You beat me to it ABBEY! I never thought there would be a day when we started discussing washing on the Rovers website.

I have to admit I am a bit obsessive when it comes to washing actually! I only wear an item of clothing once and then it is washed and ironed within 48 hours. (I blame my parents for this autism)

Persil Colour is good to keep colours bright although it doesnt smell as nice as fairy non-bio (which my parents do my washing in when I bring it home)

Hey everyone, I was hoping somebody could help me with this. For the best part of 18 months my clothes are gradually, one by one, becoming ruined in the wash. They get small smudge like areas of the garment changing colour, or being bleached. I'm not sure which. Usually, these smudges are pink in colour but a green jumper of mine started turning yellow in areas instead.

Now I have no idea what is causing this. I have tried about four or five different powders and tablets as well as fabric conditioners. I try my best to keep dark and light clothes seperate. I can't imagine this is the result of any every7 day product that I might be using for personal hygeine or for grooming as I was my hands thoroughly after using my roll on, non powdery deodorant, my hair gel or the occasional time I use after shave balm.

I'm at a loss here and am rapidly beginning to lose it at having my favourite clothes becoming spoilt and having to fork out for new ones.

Has anybody had any similar problems? Any tips on how the hell to prevent this? Please help!

:lol::lol::lol:

It could be you are mixing together fabrics which need to be washed at different temperatures. have you tried checking the labels for the washing instructions?

Hey everyone, I was hoping somebody could help me with this. For the best part of 18 months my clothes are gradually, one by one, becoming ruined in the wash.

Be very careful, the tides around King's Lynn can be dangerous and the sea here has a much higher salt content than around say Blackpool/Fleetwood thus causing the fabrics to degenerate. :brfc:

OMG IM TOTALLY STUCK FOR WORDS!!!

Hey, it's a serious business! :lol:

I have a feeling it could be that I have certain clothes that are meant to be washed seperately and I haven't read the care labels. I hope that's the case, or else I really sm stuck.

When you first get married wash something red in with all the whites. Then you'll never have to do laundry again!

Sod that. Washing is a breeze and all guys should bag it as a job. Pick clothes up. Put in hole. Press button - sit down and wait for it to finish.

Burn her favorite top while ironing - now thats the one for the blokes.

• 3 weeks later...

Another top ruined.

WTF is going on here?! I am getting so angry with this. One pair of trousers lasted one wash before getting bleached, this shirt I have only had a few months.

I am at a loss here.

The wash I just put on comprised nothing that should have been washed seperately. It was a light wash with bege pyjammas, a yellow t-shirt, a light green t-shirt, a light grey jumper, a light grey t-shirt, a pink t-shirt etc... The shirt that has been bleached is the light green one. It never happens to the whole wash, just one or two items at a time. Sometimes it won't happen for weeks, then it'll happen several time sover the next few weeks. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with changing powders, tablets, fabric conditioners... anything!

PLEASE somebody help me. The bleaching seems to occur most often around the neck. I was thinking maybe it was from my hair gel rubbing off, so I have caped a t-shirt in it to see if it bleaches, but surely it should happen to every shirt I wear?

ARGH I can't afford to keep buying new clothes!!1

EDIT: My mum says that it might be that I'm filling the washing machine to full and that the powder or whatever it is isn't dissolving properly. Anybody reckon this might be the case?

OK, I'm down to three suggestions:

1. I have a few cheap primark tops. In the past they have been amongst some of my shirts to have bleached. Maybe the colours are runningbecause they are cheap and staining the other clothes?

2. The washing machine is too full and the washing powder is not getting a chance to properly dissolve and is bleaching the clothes.

3. My hair gel is somehow rubbing off on the clothes and bleaching them.

Anything here sound familiar to anybody?

Sod that. Washing is a breeze and all guys should bag it as a job. Pick clothes up. Put in hole. Press button - sit down and wait for it to finish.

Burn her favorite top while ironing - now thats the one for the blokes.

This kind of quality advice should not be ignored as it takes a level of worldly wisdom not easily found - impressive, sir!!

Personally, being a belt & braces guy on this topic, I find an annual topping up of Mrs Drummer Boy's memory bank with the odd rogue colour (a red sock is good) keeps me banished from all things laundry-related. Then the ironing goes away.

I can't believe we are all contributing to this, what is happening to us all?

As an aside, I have recently stopped drinking bitter as it made me fart too much and too badly, so I'm told. I've now changed to cider (dry not sweet) which has cured the farting but gets me rat-arsed too quickly. I am, however, progressing through an adjustment period and have no doubt this will pass (no pun intended). There, that's more like it.

Other advice includes supporting breast feeding fully,

Yep that one is an absolute must..........except when the little so and so won't settle it'll be Dad who is kicked out of bed to walk around the lounge half the night.

cant beleive this thread is still going...

bloody hell whats this board become????

you cant discuss adult topics involving race ,yet a topic on frigging washing clothes is allowed to carry on......

ah well it will all come out in the was my mate daz sez...he says its better to stick an antenna on the washer or was it an areil ah well happ surf ing

cant beleive this thread is still going...

bloody hell whats this board become????

you cant discuss adult topics involving race ,yet a topic on frigging washing clothes is allowed to carry on......

ah well it will all come out in the was my mate daz sez...he says its better to stick an antenna on the washer or was it an areil ah well happ surf ing

I didn't understand a word of that...

thanks Mum, but I have searched the internet and I believe my mum was right when she suggested it was because I was overfilling the machine! The net said that when you overfill the machine, exactly what I have described happens.

Hopefully I won't have to bring this topic back.

Funny enough, or not as the case may be, I am having the exact same problem.

New clothes, worn only once and after a wash have yellowy / brown type marks/smudges about the size of 50pence pieces in totally random areas.

And any advice WOULD be helpful caus its pissing me off.

Alan, reading this topic might just have saved you years of forking out for new clothes after your favourites were ruined in the wash.

I am 90% sure that it is a result of over-filling, or under filling, the washing machine. When you over fill it, the water is absorbed by the clothes and there isn't enough left to properly dissolve the washing powder / tablets etc. The undissolved powder bleaches the clothes. This is why it is in random places and, also, it does not always occur because it is dependent on how you have filled the machine.

Apparently, this kind of staining does not happen with liquitabs, so give them a go. I will be switching to them the next time I shop.

After about 18 months of it happening, I am hoping to never take ruined clothes out of the machine again.

Archived