BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Young Guns

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a kid is good enough, then he will shine through, usually before 21. Id say that if they havent made it by then, they are very unlikely to ever be a great player. Top quality will always shine through, unfortunatley we dont tend to buy it like United and Co do.

Im not sure people really work like that. It is not inherant "quality" that defines who succeeds but a whole range of things, including dedication and focus and mentality as much as training and agility.

I think the Rovers psycological approach makes sense. Often the biggest enemy of a talented individual is the person themselves. A way of effectively and methodically tackling the common pitfall of ego, lack of focus etc. could reap good results.

Im not sure people really work like that. It is not inherant "quality" that defines who succeeds but a whole range of things, including dedication and focus and mentality as much as training and agility.

I think the Rovers psycological approach makes sense. Often the biggest enemy of a talented individual is the person themselves. A way of effectively and methodically tackling the common pitfall of ego, lack of focus etc. could reap good results.

It reads though (imo) ... that without it though you are deemed to failure (individually).. or at least part of it.

Whatever happened to just going out to to try getting the ball in the opposition onion bag and going out to win a game as a team :huh:

OK this is all old hat, I don't mean to crap on there parade but its all been done before. A chap created something called the iceberg profile, and used it create six main personality traits that all elite athletes had to have to succeed using this profile he very successfully predicted 12 out of 18 winners at the Olympics.

The trouble is most of these tests have inherent flaws, the first being the most obvious interpretation. Does the coach have the necessary skills to correctly interpret behavior I doubt it. The second one is the hardest to police, you give the questionnaire to the kid in question "please answer these questions as honestly as possible" 99/100 kids will go through the questions and put what they believe the coach wants them too. Is the coach adequately trained to spot it, probably not. This means the results are flawed from the start. Then of course they will have to change the kids personalty traits, not an easy task. Its the right road but they would be better off getting in a sports psychologist, to aid them, someone who's actually trained in the field.

Apparently Rovers have shown the door to highly rated 15 year old Tom Hitchcock (son of Kevin). He became a regular with the under 18's at the end of the season and scored 2 in 3. He is a striker who is an england youth international I believe and yet we have apparently shown him the door, why?

Apparently Rovers have shown the door to highly rated 15 year old Tom Hitchcock (son of Kevin). He became a regular with the under 18's at the end of the season and scored 2 in 3. He is a striker who is an england youth international I believe and yet we have apparently shown him the door, why?

Maybe he's off to join his dad???

Young Rover goes to St Pauli

Will he make the grade as a future rovers prem player?

It's a long, long road for a young star to make it all the way to the Prem first team, like salmon in the river, or sperm to the egg. Often it's luck, or sometimes just a numbers game.

However, in terms of talent, application, skill, character and everything, this lad's got the lot. Wary of putting the hex that so many fans do in saying he's the next (insert star name and heaps oodles of pressure on him), but he's got as much chance as anyone.

Rovers have done, and continue to do, a helluva lot with this guy, he played in a shockingly bad side last season and still played well. St Pauli should be great experience for him and I wish him every success.

utter tripe.

The fact you use two provisos in your last sentence suggests your acting on either gossip or a lack of knowledge.

Think about this objectively for a moment. Tom was 15 year-old, and as you correctly state, played well in the under 18's.

His Dad left to join the rest of the Taffia.

Tom isn't at the Academy any more.

Now, do you want me to call in Poirot to investigate what's happened, or do you want another clue?

Okay, think back to when Steve Bruce was at Brum, and his son Alex captained both the FA Youth side and reserves in the same season. Think back to when Bruce was at Brockhall every Sat, Morecambe/Ewood for every reserve game, with his wife & daughter watching EVERY game. Then all of a sudden, Brum throw their toys out of pram about Bowen, then about Savage. Next thing, no Alex Bruce, he's left Rovers and gone to Brum. Coincidence? You decide......

Another clue? Dads taking their lads off in a huff through managerial reshuffles is not a new thing.

Now, do you think Rovers would play a silly game like you suggest, and spite Hitchcock to that degree? It didn't happen when Vince O Keefe left the Academy coaching staff did it?

I havent seen Judge play yet, so can anyone who has describe his style, strenghts, weaknesses? Is he a pacy winger, or more the MGP type, etc...?

Short-ish Irish midfielder, started @ centre mid then drifted to wide right. Played reserves lot season, featured in squad for Pompey (a), rampant in second half of season when played up front/wide right/loose. Very busy, keen, industrious, quite stocky , good eye for a pass & positive going forward. Last home reserve game I think he scored twice & set up two. Probably needs to work alongside a more senior player to benefit, can see him fitting in as a squad/sub role next season particularly if play five in mid. Sum up in a line? A Dunny that can run, can get stuck in although stronger attacker than defending.

Josh O Keefe wins first Ireland U21 callup along with other regulars Judge, Treacey and Nolan.

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/New...1361640,00.html

Lots of promising irishmen at Rovers.

This season looks like will be good numbers in both Irish u21 teams, cpl in NI & 4+2 in the Republic. Well done Academy - still wish the first team had gone over in pre-season :blush:

Any pace?

Yeah, of sorts. Whilst not really a pigeon catcher, he's a cracking engine on him, very lively - tends to get his runs because of constant motion rather than out & out pace. Think he's got a good footballing head on him, he was best player in first half @ Wolves IMO, only let down with Reid on overlap. One good break with Derbs where they caught the Wolves back line napping. Given Ince's likely type of football, packed midfield, fast breaks, long crossfield-wide balls, he's as much chance as anyone I think. He's good experience as a Captain too, certainly for Reserves, think he may have for Ireland Youth too.

When all is said & done, he's had good run & deserves be where he is, took it all in his stride. Still youngster though, but he's doing very well at the mo.

BTW I'm not his Dad :rolleyes:

Scroll back up the thread if you're looking for a name to be the new star forward LOL

Judgey will have to settle for beting the next Dunny, less the injuries hopefully.

Great background on him. Thanks!

Hey, no problem, try to be fair in analysis. Watched him a lot last season, he stood out a mile as being most likely to step up - won Academy player of season last time out BTW.

Academy do have some good talent, hefty amount of Irish lads, but it's still a long road up to the grown ups. Some just get a contract then toss it off, sit back. I don't think that will be the case with him, he seens keen as mustard - type of player fan loves as he's attack minded, gets stuck in etc.

Get down to t'reserves, especially when at Morecambe - best pies around!

Scroll back up the thread if you're looking for a name to be the new star forward LOL

Is this the guy you asked me not to mention :o

Noooooooooooo

Treacy; that is if he can find the application & consistency to match his talent & not be another Sergio Peter. I reckon it's 3 seasons since Hughes started his first UK pre-season friendly with him, so clearly he rated him then. Between Rovers & Ireland, they couldn't decide if he would be a winger or striker. He's got bags of talent, big lad too, and hopefully he will crack through this season too, rather than sit on his contract. Rather worryingly, Ince has played him at left back @ Northwich, then moved him there second half at Wolves after reshuffling line-up (despite him having best two shots that half).

Sadly, Hughes threw him into the calamity FA Cup game last season, and he didn't do that well - then again, many more senior players did worse that game. Sadly, there's a high proliferation of part timers go to Cup games, see a young player and want to write them off for evermore as being crud.

Referred to a forward as felt previous poster may be hoping for a forward (as I'd judge KT) rather than a midfielder that may play up front at times (AJ). I'm hoping he comes through this season as well as Judgey, along with realistic expectations from the fans.

The secret weapon is still secret, grey squirrel ;-)

Nice one Rovers.

One for an obscure trivia quiz. :rolleyes:

Rovers played with 2 keepers in an academy game against Welsh club Conway.

Conway's keeper Dent broke his thumb after 7 minutes. As Conway had no reserve keeper, Rovers sub keeper Andreas Arestidou went in goal for them.

Rovers won

Official Site Report.

Here's another trivia question. Two teams have played one another at Ewood in a league fixture, both wearing Rovers strips, but only one was Blackburn Rovers. True or false?

[quote name='DingleBaiter' date='Aug 9 2008, 11:41 ' post='

Here's another trivia question. Two teams have played one another at Ewood in a league fixture, both wearing Rovers strips, but only one was Blackburn Rovers. True or false?

I have a recollection that a team arrived at Ewood and it was discovered that there was a colour clash with the shirts. We had to lend them a strip. So that would make it true. But I could be wrong!

My memories never been my strong point, but saw it in a Pontins League game at Ewood, probably in last ten years I think it was. Sunderland spring to mind, the tops clashed and so they had to play in the away one, seem to think it was a red & black one (though not too sure of last bit). Also heard it's happened at Rovers a a few times, but not that I can bring to other than that.

Well done to Keith Treacy today, thought he was best player on our side. Worked hard, tracked back, crossed well & lively. Overlapped well with Warnock & covered on occasions SW went gallivanting. Judgey got another run and Aaron Doran come on up front late on. Credit to Ince for giving them a run, good options now if only for Cup games, squad etc.

Archived