BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Young Guns

..or maybe the likes of Rostyn Griffiths and Zac Jones just prove we can't find the talent in this country - hence being forced to look overseas.

Griffiths is Australian. Rovers snapped up both him and his bro, Brent, for the academy.

Maybe then, this junior Kiwi will, four years from now, be playing in front of thousands as he helps FC Koln's drive to the Bundesliga like Kevin Pezzoni or perhaps, playing for Hamburg II and training with Sorin, Olic and the like during the week like Mamadi Keita.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After missing most of the season through injury, Olsson and Peter start for the Reserves tonight as does Keith Treacy who has been out injured for a shorter time.

Great shame for Rigters getting injured just as he was about to get some decent playing time.

Darn, would have liked to make this one but circumstances have gone against me :angry:

Hope those returning from injury make it through okay.

Should be a great test for our team as Bolton are fielding a strong side - Meite, Alonso, Braaten, Rasiak etc.

Peters looked rusty, which you would expect from his long lay off.

Keith Treacy, my man of the match - went off injured half way through the second half.

Olsson, ok but tired as the game progressed.

final score 2-`1

Peters looked rusty, which you would expect from his long lay off.

Keith Treacy, my man of the match - went off injured half way through the second half.

Olsson, ok but tired as the game progressed.

final score 2-`1

Did the injury look serious or do you reckon it was more of a protection to prevent further damage?

Just got back from the reserve game. Have to say I was impressed despite the loss. In Bolton's starting 11 were 7 people who are around the 1st team squad (Walker, Meite, Braaten, Alonso, Helguson, Cohen and Rasiak) despite this I thought Rovers gave as good as they got. Battled all match and gave Bolton some problems.

First half wasn't the greatest really and Bolton got into a 2-0 lead. The penalty incident was hard to see but there weren't too many complaints from our guys the second was from a free-kick. Both incidents coming from parries off Nielsen. Towards the end of the first half and basically for the majority of the second half Rovers had the chance to dictate play, unfortunately we couldn't force too many chances.

For too much of the game I felt long balls were being punted upto the front two who aren't the tallest and these were being dealt with easily by Meite and Fojut (both of them were huge and very strong too)

The goal was well taken and a bit surreal as it took quite a while for everyone to realise it had gone in.

Nielsen 7- Made some excellent saves at times and I have to say Hughes may of found Brad's successor here, kicking does need to improve but it was a terrible pitch and quite windy also. Parried efforts just before the goals but I don't think he could have done anymore.

Nolan 6- Didn't get involved too much in the first half which was strange really for a right back. Started to rampage down the right in the 2nd half and was solid I thought overall.

Olsson 7- Great to see the guy back playing. Looked good all game and very aware of what was going on around him.

Flynn 6- Dealt well with Rasiak and Helguson and played the offside trap effectively all night. Was out done at times by the pace of some players though.

Winnard 6- Basically the same as Flynn.

Treacy 6- Good to see him back too. Looked good at times but struggled with playing down the right as he wanted to get back onto his left foot a lot. Limped off unfortunately, I really hope it isn't serious as this lad is a talent.

Peter 6- Didn't look interested at times and a shadow of the player who made his debut 2 years ago by tearing QPR to shreds. Got a b***ocking at times from other players for not pulling his weight, especially Judge, I hope this was down to his injury more than anything.

O'Keefe 6- Pllayed well and got stuck in in midfield, Tough game against someone as experienced as Alonso but he took his goal very well.

Judge 7- Playing in a different role to what I normally see him in. Been use to him playing on the wing and bombing forward today though he was played in centre mid. As someone near me said he was a bit like Savage in how he never gave up battles and winning many tackles, brilliant for such a small guy. Another to earmark for the future good for different roles.

Marshall 6- Just doesn't look like he is ready yet very rough around the edges in many aspects though did have a good effort on goal when he turned Meite on the edge of the area.

Clarke 6- Tried hard all game but found it hard against Meite and Fojut for the first half, second half he used his strength back against them and did well.

Other notes: Entire first team staff there, Hughes, Bowen and Hitchcock the first stage of the overview? Hughes didn't look too impressed for the majority.

Was at the game and wasn't overly impressed, although rovers did do reasonably well second half.

First half rovers were pretty poor, the defending was clumsy and ineffective, and the ball was given away far too cheaply on a regular basis. An experienced bolton side however passed it about comfortably, as well as out fighting the rovers team. Only Nielsen was notable on the rovers side making three or four excellent saves, he perhaps could've done better with the free kick, but overall he kept rovers from being embarassed. Braaten in particular terrorised Olsson throughout the half, and Peter looked well off the pace, and didn't really give Olsson the support needed to deal with the guy.

Second half was completely different, and although bolton were still the larger team, and passed it about better, rovers really got stuck in enough to claw their way back into the game. Rovers didn't create much, and were a tad fortuitous with the goal (it was a good move and well taken but a bolton player was down) but the effort they put in warrented a goal. The defence looked a fair bit more competant in the second half and seemed to have perfected the offside trap, thus limiting Bolton to a far fewer chances. Rovers perhaps should have equalised, when O'Keefe (I think) headed softly into Walker's arms unchallenged from about 6 yards out.

Overall, a fair result. Most disappointing for me was the two strikers Marshall and Clarke who really didn't look up to the grade. They were outmuscled too easily, and didn't really create anything with their movement off the ball. I don't think either centre half will make it either. Despite a good second half performance they were done for pace, outmuscled and committed some really clumsy tackles in the first half which leave me less than convinced. Thought O'Keefe was quite annonomous for most of the game, and whilst Tracey showed a few glimpses of promise with a couple of good runs, for the rest of the game he didn't really threaten.

The positives were good displays from Nielsen and Nolan who I thought was solid all evening. Judge also caught the eye, the lad has a great engine, picked out some good passes and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Needs to toughen/bulk up a bit but if he does, he'll at least be a lower league player; he's a promising prospect.

Have to say though, if it's being reviewed I can't see Hughes taking too many positives away. Very few players looked like potential squad players - which was, in effect, what they were playing against.

Just finished watching the Reserves vs Liverpool, and they lost 1-0 to a much better side.

But what do you expect with players signed off top clubs all over Europe..

Blackburn, like the senior squad, looked too weak in midfield. I like the look of Flynn in defence, and up front both Clarke and Marshall looked like footballers. Treacy tried and had some good deliveries, and you can see he's got a lot of physical ability, however without really succeeding. Good set pieces.. Didn't notice Peter most of the time to be honest, but those who were there probably has better insight. Anyway, it was fun to see some of the youngsters, even though they were struggling.

Blackburn, like the senior squad, looked too weak in midfield.

Anyway, it was fun to see some of the youngsters, even though they were struggling.

Cheers for that 'herbergeehh' :unsure: weres rover6

Didn't notice Peter most of the time to be honest, but those who were there probably has better insight.

Apart from taking the corners, didnt notice him either.

To be honest reserve team games are becoming a bore and thats no fault of the youngsters.

They are no longer reserve games but youth team games.

We were talking about it at the match last night and questioning why first team squad players are not playing in the reserves to gain match practice. That goes for the opposition as well.

The inclusion of first team squad players in the reserves would help the youngsters. An old head directing them on the field would in my opinion help the youngsters develop.

As for last nights game, Rovers were out muscled by a more physical Liverpool side, with Rovers only having 2 clear chances. A cross that the Pool keeper punched off Clarkes head in the first half and a second half, daisy cutter cross from Treacy that the keeper got down well to before an attacking boot.

I think it's pretty clear Peter has no future at Rovers. He must be 22-23 now yeah?

Treacy has got to go out on loan next season and do well. I wouldn't bet on it though, it rarely happens with our youngsters any more. It seems only League 2 clubs take them and even then they don't pull up trees.

I wonder if the review of the Academy will lead to Bobby Downes being turfed out? It seems to me he's got a pretty easy job cos he's produced sod all for years... I wouldn't mind a job like that...

I saw about 20/25 minutes of the game - and there wasn't much to get excited about. I think Nielsen did ok, and looked quite comfortable with the ball at his feet too when dealing with dodgy back passes. From the parts of the game I saw - Peter wasn't as poor as Treacy - although I did only see a few bits of the match. Was getting quite sick of the biased commentry on Liverpool TV though - exaggerating every little thing any Liverpool player did as great. What's that freaky little midget called who plays for Liverpool in midfield?

We were talking about it at the match last night and questioning why first team squad players are not playing in the reserves to gain match practice. That goes for the opposition as well.

The inclusion of first team squad players in the reserves would help the youngsters. An old head directing them on the field would in my opinion help the youngsters develop.

As for last nights game, Rovers were out muscled by a more physical Liverpool side, with Rovers only having 2 clear chances. A cross that the Pool keeper punched off Clarkes head in the first half and a second half, daisy cutter cross from Treacy that the keeper got down well to before an attacking boot.

I agree. Hughes is over cautious in not giving some first team fringe players games for the reserves. It'd give them some match sharpness and would help out the reserves.

Liverpool won the reserve league, so they have a very strong side - no surprise we lost. Although, I am one of those who champions promotion of our younger players - I still expect them first to reach a certain consistent standard at reserve level. If Peter and Treacy are not doing it at that level, then I accept that Hughes is right to leave them out of the seniors. Previously, Treacy and Peter were performing very well but since their injuries they've not been up to it.

Blackburn, like the senior squad, looked too weak in midfield.

Which is full justification for Rovers getting rid of that absolute waster of a midfielder called Mamadi Keita who is now playing for Hamburg II.

It's little wonder we have few players coming through the ranks when our supposed brightest talents are on the ###### in Blackburn town centre until half 4 on a Sunday morning.

That won't stop them getting ample reserve games. Gary Stopforth was often, allegedly, seen in such circumstances and he ended up captaining the reserves.

It's little wonder we have few players coming through the ranks when our supposed brightest talents are on the ###### in Blackburn town centre until half 4 on a Sunday morning.

did he play today?

if not do you have work monday ?

did he play today?

I'm not a professional athlete.

I don't mind lads relaxing and having a few drinks on a Saturday but being blottoed in at half 4 is hardly a fantastic way to keep at the top of his game. And I'm not going to say who it was - I don't think a 'naming and shaming' on a public messageboard would be fair.

did he play today?

Even the kids get paid a lot of money to be professional athletes. It's one of the sacrifices you make to be a footballer, surely?

Archived