BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Chelsea V Blackburn 15 September 2007

Jan

I think R/B has it about right. We looked, apart from the first and last 15 minutes, very ordinary, and nowhere near a challenge on the top four.

Chelsea played us at our game, pushing up on the defence and midfield and not giving our players any time on the ball. Subsequently we gave the ball away too easily, McCarthy and Pedersen being the main culprits. THings did improve when Roberts came on and Pedersen did his trick of picking up in the last 20 minutes.

As for any kind of debate about offside, good grief! In defence of the linesman, in real time, from his position, it would be an easy mistake to make. And the penalty claim.... so shut up your face Jose.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also thanks for the clarification that Benni was trying flicks every time he received the ball. I couldn't understand how or why he couldn't hold the ball up once in all the 60 minutes he was on the pitch.

Obviously fightened of John Terry piling through the back of him every time he tries to control a pass from an opponent. I said Friday that Roberts was a must starter for this game as he and Terry have a bit of 'history' and imo JR would not have been intimidated and would have earned us a few free kicks around the box.

I'm sure you'll be as understanding and forgiving when it happens to us. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what he had to sort out really, the two Chelsea players were ahead of our players. All he had to do was judge whether Kalou was behind the ball or not when it was passed.

What hysteria?! Care to give some examples? MotD rightly said the decision was incorrect, but went on to point out that we could have had a penalty - implying that one could argue they balanced out.

Even on a day when we've got some good fortune you have to moan about little old Rovers being hard done to by the media and referees. Get a grip for Christ's sake.

Can you read? If so read my post again and tell me where I have had a go at the officials! Quite the opposite; I praised them all for having a good game and pointed out the difficulty that the linesman was faced with in making his decision which I believe he did get wrong, but understandably so. I also have had the benefit of unlimited access to TV replay on my DVD recording of the match and the ability to replay it at various speeds. What I said was that even with all this aid to decision making I still found it difficult to judge whether or not the final touch was offside or not, and the official had to decide all this in a split second. If you have problems with that, I suggest you go elswhere with your bad tempered liverish remarks. Oh yes, and learn to read and understand English before making stupid comments.

Was just reflecting last night that it's exactly three years (only) since Mark Hughes inherited the ship wreck left by Souness.

It's astounding to think of the progress made under Sparky and his team in that time. We've gone from Amoruso and Dickov and near certain relegation to fifteen games unbeaten and playing badly at Chelsea and coming away with a point!

Just think how beneficial to the club it would be to have Sparky here for another three years.........................

We probably wouldn't be challenging for the title, :unsure: but it could set up our top flight status for years to come.

Bloody hell, how can some of you lot watch the game without knowing the rules?

If the player is behind the ball when it is played then they're not offside. It's not difficult is it?

It was a perfectly good goal and we were fortunate to get that point today. No doubt we'll get some equally dodgy decisions against us as well which will cost us points.

As someone who goes completely over the top when decisions go against us, I thought you'd at least have the good grace to admit when we had a bit of good fortune.

Oooooooooooooooo, handbags! I've got a bigger one than yours!

What about the penalty we should have had then? Clumsy challenge and push in the back, oh no, it was a dive of course.

Not that it's relevant, but if it had been Rovers, you could bet your life it would have been offside. Still think it was the right decision in difficult circumstances. That's my opinion. No need for the sniping.

Chelsea are a good team, but then they should be. Onward and upward Rovers.

Edit: anyway, I'm off to church to pray for my and Sparky's poor deluded souls ;) See you guys later.

Excellent point against a superior team but I can't just help that we're still lacking a CM who will keep his head whilst all are losing theirs', and maintain possession of the ball. When the opposition are in command and throwing attack after attack at our defence, we need a guy who will get the ball down and dictate a bit of keep ball to take the sting out of the game.

I wasnt quite sure how MGP could win a penalty when he was clattered in the box, because the ball had already gone out of play. But at the otehr end I'm sure it would have been.

If Jose complains too hard about the goal (it was im with Le Chuck, Kaloooooooo was behind the ball when it was played) just point out all the dodgy decisions Chelsea have got away with.

A good away point and isnt it nice to be moaning that we only got one point at Stamford bridge

Excellent point against a superior team but I can't just help that we're still lacking a CM who will keep his head whilst all are losing theirs', and maintain possession of the ball. When the opposition are in command and throwing attack after attack at our defence, we need a guy who will get the ball down and dictate a bit of keep ball to take the sting out of the game.

Steven Reid?

:brfc:

Personally, I thought Pedersen dived disgracefully and it shouldn't have been a penalty. From the camera angle behind, it looks as though his legs are clipped and he is knocked off balance. That isn't the case. He plays the ball a mile ahead, gets knocked, stays on his feet easily while he thinks he has a chance of reaching it, then throws himself on the floor. Never a penalty.

One thing I didn't mention was that I thought the ref (Howard Webb?) had an excellent game. He seemed to make the right decision every time one had to be made and used a bit of common sense rather than dish out yellow cards at every opportunity, like we have seen on many occasions this season.

I simply refuse to believe that anybody can think that that goal was offside. Roversmum - offside isn't an opinion, it's a rule. The decision was wrong. Not that I'm complaining! The goal was legit, not even close to being illegal. RB, Bryan and PhilipL have even suggested that the ball across goal went marginally backwards?!? Backwards from what perspective?

Personally, I thought Pedersen dived disgracefully and it shouldn't have been a penalty. From the camera angle behind, it looks as though his legs are clipped and he is knocked off balance. That isn't the case. He plays the ball a mile ahead, gets knocked, stays on his feet easily while he thinks he has a chance of reaching it, then throws himself on the floor. Never a penalty.

What's with this let's all have snide digs at Pederson. He didn't have an even average game for him going forward but did the work of two me on the left side. As for the disgraceful dive tell me how he was going to stay on two feet when the defender came across him and took away his standing foot. Granted he'd lost control of the ball and for that reason we probably shouldn't have got a penalty but to say he dived digracefully is rubbish.

Also tell me who does the covering for Warnock when he (often) goes walkabout from the left full-back position. Count the number of times that either Pederson was the furthest player back on the left side or he was having to work the left defensive touchline because "gods gift" at full back had decided to go for a wander.

the only two players worthy of MOTM were J. Cole and Essien, who were absolutely world class, just sensational.

That was a world class performance? I don't think so! They were very good but I thought they were pretty quiet and Savage and Dunn didn't look totally out of their depth against them.

Pedersen and McCarthy were shocking in the first half, unbelievably bad.
I'll agree with that.

Pedersen showed a real commitment in the second half to track back

He did? Pedersen was getting back in a sense, but there were at least three occasions where he was in a position to make a challenge or at least chase the attacker, but he just stood there or made a feeble jogging attempt. I understand that isn't particularly his game but players in all positions need to have a basic skill of defending in a given situation.

McCarthy should be benched for such an abysmal performance. That was undoubtedly the worst I've seen him play.

Spot on. I feel he is becoming a bit a of a liability and I honestly feel he did not contribute towards the game in ANY positive way whatsoever. Derbs and Cruz up top for me.

Once again I'm glad Sparky is the manager and not the MB!

Joe Cole jinked a lot on the ball but he must have commited half of Chelsea's foul count- a sort of poor man's Paul Scholes when it comes to winning the ball.

We all know that Chris Samba is our new Colin Hendry but look at this to see what an amazing hero he is! (It won't go to the precise picture so scroll to the 5th one in the set). Certain goal for Shevchenko if Chris hadn't put his head there- look at the bits flying off Shev's boot to see how hard Samba got kicked. No way was Brad going to be able to make a save if you look at how he was positioned after making the initial save.

Which ever way you look at it, 0-0 at Chelsea is a very handy result. The problem is of course to then lose to Portsmouth at home. That is where we have been guilty in the past.

It was our first 0-0 in the Prem since Sheef Utd away last September, which is ages ago.

Bennis Ok to fanny about for 89 minutes for me as long as he gets 20 goals in a season. Best get concentrating lad, or it could be he's knackered after a mid week trip to SA and back.

Early in the first half I thought Emerton was not 100% on his game but he picked up very well.

I don't know whether Benni was affected by travel fatigue but Lucash was semi-comatose in the West Ham v Boro game I saw the second half of. WHam scored three times from only four goal-scoring opportunities but Boro failed to take any of seven great second half chances- three of them when Lucash played Tuncay onside into one-on-ones with Robert Green.

What was nice yesterday was that we had a large slice of luck away at a team which usually gets the rub of the green.

To be honest I don't think we played particuarly well - another day we would have lost - but equally on another day Sav's effort may have crept in. We have to be delighted with a 'bonus' point as I call it and also delighted that we continue our unbeaten run.

Despite the heroics of Brad, Samba and the rest - Mccarthy's lack interest has really upset me. The problem is, he is more than likely to to score against Larissa and Pompey and his general play will be forgotten. Actually, perhaps it is not a problem when you think about it.

I have worries that, especially way from home, Rocky's and Mccarthy's work ethic is not enough - it leaves us pinned in out half. Roberts is the man for away from home. Controversial, but that's what I'd do.

I think it says it all when we are not fully happy with a clean sheet and a point away at Chlesea. :tu:

Brilliant,superb,battling performance and the unbeaten run continues.

Brad was truely excellent,that save was top draw,and the guy never ceases to amaze me.

Samba just goes up in my estimation every week,he's so passionate,and commited to the cause every game.

My only down point from a very enjoyable game ,as to be the constant booing aimed at Bentley ,again.

Those set of Chelsea fans should be ashamed of themselfs,There's just no need for it.

I'm more than happy with that result.

I think we played very well and the defense plan was what I predicted and I think Sparky will be happy with how it performed.

The end was nervous but when the whistle went it felt like a win. I've been teasing a lot of people. ;):brfc:

Samba's injury gave us all a scare but it sounds positive but I'll be keeping up to date with the latest news on him, as I'm sure all Rovers fans will be.

Well done Rovers. You made me very proud yesterday as I contemplated our results away to the big four in the last few years :-win at Old trafford, draw at Anfield, draw at the Emirates and now avoiding loss again at the Bridge. :rover:

What's with this let's all have snide digs at Pederson. He didn't have an even average game for him going forward but did the work of two me on the left side. As for the disgraceful dive tell me how he was going to stay on two feet when the defender came across him and took away his standing foot. Granted he'd lost control of the ball and for that reason we probably shouldn't have got a penalty but to say he dived digracefully is rubbish.

Also tell me who does the covering for Warnock when he (often) goes walkabout from the left full-back position. Count the number of times that either Pederson was the furthest player back on the left side or he was having to work the left defensive touchline because "gods gift" at full back had decided to go for a wander.

Up until about 35/40 minutes, Pedersen did absolutely no tracking back whatsoever. It meant that Warnock couldn't bomb forward and it meant that we were exposed down that wing, something Chelsea frequently exploited.

If you read my first post, I said he showed a real willingness to track back from then on though, and put in some good tackles. Never the less, he still had a very poor game. His long range passing was dreadful and he could well have won us the match, but chose to volley the ball when a header probably would have gone in.

He didn't knock his standing leg out either. The knock came well before Pedersen went to ground. Furthermore, it cannot be disbuted that Pedersen dived, even if the question of whether it was a penalty is open to question.

Archived