BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Chelsea V Blackburn 15 September 2007

Jan

NOOOOO!!!!! We would be far better-off with things as they are. We don't want all the big clubs and the media noticing that we have a team of very good FOOTBALL players. Just leave things as they are and let them find out the hard way when we play them and beat them.

Exactly. With all the new money sloshing around the Prem it's in our best interests to hide our light under a bushell. Let sleeping dogs lie.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apart from a couple of slicing runs, Joe Cole was having a stinker, and thank goodness b/c he had a couple of clear shots at goal...which he wasted (like a player not used to being in the starting XI).

I also would've left Benni on a little longer. He was doing not, but Roberts had no impact either...then brought Derbs on in the final 15.

Oh, and Mr. Referee did have a gem didn't he? I thought Mourinho was going to lose his mind.

Joe Cole was really funny. Every time a decision went against him (which as often as he went through the game niggling and fouling people) the toys came out of the pram. He looked at one point as if he was going to "scthweam and scthweam until I'm Sick". I guess he had the wrong coloured ribbons on his ballet shoes or something.

And whoever told him that 70s style footballers shorts are attractive was lying!

:rover: just breezed through the post's and i cannot believe no one has praised the ref,he had a stormer,every niggly tackle from chelski was blown for.takes some balls at the bridge!! was dissapointed how we played after the hype early on in the week,but a draw at chelski is a well earned point.only one compliant when sparky had enough off benidict he brought on bloody roberts,we needed pace and derbs was the man :brfc:

Well said that man. The Ref played a blinder, the best refs are rarely noticed much.

BUT I cannot agree about the substitution waggy cos Derbyshire was bullied all over the park by Terry last year whilst Roberts gave the big fella every bit as much as he got. We could not hold the ball up front for long enough on Sat to take the pressure of the defence and midfield and Derbyshire would have been worse than hopeless from that aspect. I think I said earlier that my team would have partnered Santa Cruz with Roberts from the start.

I am now content that Sky have agreed with what Blackburn supporters have known about Sir Bradley Friedal for some time. He is an amazing professional.

"Sir Bradley Friedel" :D I like that. Sounds like the sort of thing Bob Fleming would say in the Fleming report.

It's an interesting topic, defining what "world class" constitues. One thing that I would say about your interpretation is that there are some players I just couldn't choose between if I were compiling a world's best XI. Cech is probably the best keeper in the world, while Essien is one of the top midfielders. "International class" is interesting, but surely that would encompass every single international player?

Here is an actual definition...

world-class (wûrld'klăs')

adj.

1. Ranking among the foremost in the world; of an international standard of excellence; of the highest order: a world-class figure skater.

2. Great, as in importance, concern, or notoriety.

There is no doubt to me that Brad is " of an international standard of excellence" even though he would not get into a World XI. I´d say Essien was as well but the suggestion of Joe Cole is perhaps rather more debatable.

BUT I cannot agree about the substitution waggy cos Derbyshire was bullied all over the park by Terry last year whilst Roberts gave the big fella every bit as much as he got. We could not hold the ball up front for long enough on Sat to take the pressure of the defence and midfield and Derbyshire would have been worse than hopeless from that aspect. I think I said earlier that my team would have partnered Santa Cruz with Roberts from the start.

Exactly how I felt - Roberts was a much better choice for subbing in, and I even feel that he should have started in place of McCarthy (one particularly enlightened poster mentioned that this would be picking a team depending on the situation, rather than overall best 11, which is smart in my opinion). Roberts didn't have much of an effect, but he came in when we were already bunkering for the most part.. Terry ate Derbyshire for lunch last time we played Chelsea, so I wasn't too eager to see him come on.

There is no doubt to me that Brad is " of an international standard of excellence" even though he would not get into a World XI. I´d say Essien was as well but the suggestion of Joe Cole is perhaps rather more debatable.

Joe Cole would make it on a list of "international whingers, moaner, and complainers". To my eye, he's one of the worst in the world. If you just look at his reactions you would think that every foul he gets whistled for is an indignation, even when he brings down someone from behind without touching the ball. Every card he receives is a travesty of biblical proportions (they are of course all yellow, because Joe Cole is not capable of any actions requiring a red card :blink: ), but every time he is touched or looked at with anything but admiration is cause for national panic and, perhaps, the death penalty for the opposing player.

He had played quite well for 83 minutes, but the forward passes were no longer needed as we were by this point trying to hold on for a point- hence the Axe coming on.

And as one of the few who was there I do feel able to comment. Unlike you. So shut it- until you actually see him play!!

:angry: Thank you Jan, looking forward to the big club cup game, Dunny and Sav have got to play in that one for me.

I thought we were excellent today regards to our defending and organisation from front to back. First half Chelsea were poor and Savage and Dunn excellent. 2nd half Dunn faded as he tried to do a bit too much a couple of occasions and got caught out. Savage was imense throughout and nearly scored, what more can you ask for from these 2 I don't know....

My only concern is that we had a few opportunities to put together some good attacks and didn't really go for it. Bentley and Pederson was obviusly under instructions to keep it tight and yes it worked, but we could have pushed on to nick it late on but didn't seem to have the drive to do so. A lack of pace across the front 6 players probably has something to do with this. Our only apparent weakness at the moment I would say.

Just a word on Samba. The guy really is a class act. From 50 yard crossfield passes to sticking his head in where it hurts. He really does seem to have it all. Nice one (again) Mr Hughes.

A bit of this?

_44118898_chel3.jpg

Just spoken to a mate of mine (Chelsea fan) who was there. He (and those around him) were convinced they were winning 1-0 and only realised something was wrong when they threw Terry forward at the end. His friend had to phone his wife as they left the ground to check the score. Oh how I laughed.....!!!! :lol:

Just spoken to a mate of mine (Chelsea fan) who was there. He (and those around him) were convinced they were winning 1-0 and only realised something was wrong when they threw Terry forward at the end. His friend had to phone his wife as they left the ground to check the score. Oh how I laughed.....!!!! :lol:

So he didn't notice that Brad kicked off after the goal??

So we lost?!?!

Various TV replays show that the player was marginally on side. It was a tight decision, the linesman made what he thought was the right decision at the time, he got it wrong. Ho hum. You can be darned sure that next time he has a 50-50 call to make he'll give it in favour of the "big club" though.

And this my dear friend as Torgeir states is IMO part and parcel of why they do get it wrong

Torgeir

View Member Profile

Find Member's Posts Sep 16 2007, 16:56 Post #274

2nd Division

Group: Members

Member No.: 176

One of the replays show the linesman was too slow and not parallel with our last defender, and it was probably because his angle of vision he called it offside when it clearly was on.

This is something I have mentioned before and you will have heard me ranting about down at Ewood on many an occasion - how the hell can they make a decision of offside when most of the time they are never in line? :angry:

Its not that hard to keep in line with the last defender and its a very consistent problem throughout the game..

As Abbey mentioned I wasn't too bothered they didn't get the decision due to what has gone against us over the last couple of seasons, but it showed up again that there is a big big problem in the officiating that we are all aware off that does not mean the introduction of camera's.

Back to the game - I know we nicked a draw but is it just me but what happened to the team that matched Chelski in the S/F and wasn't playing their 'strongest' team this time? - maybe its just our style but as with the other so called bigger clubs we always seem to be under the cosh for extended period of times (especially 2nd halves) whereas most other teams don't seem to have to batton down the hatches as much.

And this my dear friend as Torgeir states is IMO part and parcel of why they do get it wrong

This is something I have mentioned before and you will have heard me ranting about down at Ewood on many an occasion - how the hell can they make a decision of offside when most of the time they are never in line? :angry:

Its not that hard to keep in line with the last defender and its a very consistent problem throughout the game..

As Abbey mentioned I wasn't too bothered they didn't get the decision due to what has gone against us over the last couple of seasons, but it showed up again that there is a big big problem in the officiating that we are all aware off that does not mean the introduction of camera's.

Back to the game - I know we nicked a draw but is it just me but what happened to the team that matched Chelski in the S/F and wasn't playing their 'strongest' team this time? - maybe its just our style but as with the other so called bigger clubs we always seem to be under the cosh for extended period of times (especially 2nd halves) whereas most other teams don't seem to have to batton down the hatches as much.

I recommend you run the line for a couple of games then you'd all understand just how hard it really is, god didnt design us to have our eyes set at 90 degrees which is what you must have when one eye has to look down the line whilst the other is focused on the last defender at ninety degrees.

Excellent spot on the fact that the linesman wasnt in line but such is the pace of the game what do you expect, lets say these things are always going to happen.

This time it was us to gain next time who knows but there will definitely be a next time..

That is just brilliant. :lol:

Isn't there a scoreboard at the Bridge?

This time it was us to gain next time who knows but there will definitely be a next time..

Exactly, totally agree, which makes a change for me considering your David Dunn fixation. The thing is the technology is there if the Premier League want to use it - the replays can be viewed within seconds in the tunnel by the fourth official and even the managers. Although that might not be a good thing for the fourth official when Jose rips the monitor from the wall after a decision goes against him.

I recommend you run the line for a couple of games

Ok smart behind ........ for your information this is what I have done regularly, although not recently.

These are supposed to be professional and so 'called fit' and part of their job is to be in line with the last defender and has arguably nothing to do with the speed of the game ( the ball is not forever in their line of peripheral vision).

It doesn't need to be an 'excellent spot' to see where a linesman is and yes they will get it wrong again and more often than not it will be wrong as to the said reason (try watching in our next few games and also games on TV)

Maybe rather than trying to score a 1 up....you could also trying watching Dunn a bit more closely and what he actually contributes rather than criticise him all the time.

Exactly, totally agree, which makes a change for me considering your David Dunn fixation. The thing is the technology is there if the Premier League want to use it - the replays can be viewed within seconds in the tunnel by the fourth official and even the managers. Although that might not be a good thing for the fourth official when Jose rips the monitor from the wall after a decision goes against him.

The problem with the introduction of the technology that is out there is you've got to implement it at all levels and with it comes the financial cost that the prem clubs could quite easily absorb but thats not as easy for your smaller lower league professional clubs like Burnley etc.,.

The problem with the introduction of the technology that is out there is you've got to implement it at all levels

No you don't. Why would you have to do that? Why can't they just use Sky Sports or Setanta replays? How hard can it be? They're at every single match played anyway aren't they?

The problem with the introduction of the technology that is out there is you've got to implement it at all levels and with it comes the financial cost that the prem clubs could quite easily absorb but thats not as easy for your smaller lower league professional clubs like Burnley etc.,.

That's not true at all. 4th officials were introduced slowly at the lower levels, as were the electronic boards for substitutions/time added on. Go down far enough down "the pyramid" and you'll see missing linesmen and even refs.

It Bloody well is! Speaking from experience (before I acquired a beer belly!) It is also nigh on impossible to watch the last defender, the last attacker and where the ball is played from at the same time.

No you dont. Its a myth simply peddled by those in authority who dont want it to happen. For crying out loud suspensions have only just gone from "days" to "matches" in the Step 3 - 6 leagues - how on earth was that equitable - a Prem player is suspended for 3 matches for a red card, whereas a Unibond Division One player would have received 21 days - feasably 6 or 7 matches.

The rules of the game are not applied equally at all levels, so why does "technology" ?

Archived