BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sav And The Sacked Capt

ABBEY

Poor Fella - though you can see the point of My Travel - they have the rules there for a reason and they shouldnt be broken for anyone.

Yes rules are rules, and in most cases need to be observed without exception. However, there is such a thing as examining each case in a common-sense way and being fully able to judge the risks involved without any doubt. I would suggest that this was one of those occasions, and in these cases managers need to be capable of making a judgement and coming to a common-sense decision. Anything else is simply blind observance of, and hiding behind rules, in order to avoid having to make a decision. This is the usual position of your junior managers, civil servants, and politicians, who either can't or wont make a decision through inexperience or incompetence at the level they are dealing with.

It would appear (from the facts presented on this thread) that in this case the pilot did indeed make a judgement and a decision based on the facts that he knew; ie this was a private charter flight carrying only players and officials of Blackburn Rovers FC and probably one or two others such as journalists and friends of the club people. It is now up to the management of the travel company employing the pilot to look at all the facts, and for them also to make a decision based on the known facts. Let's hope they get it right!

As Fife Rover said, especially with this being a charter flight with a small group on board, the incident was largely taken out of context. Surely it's not the first or last time that such a minor oversight of the rules happens. What if an experienced pilot let his/her (I assume there are female pilots too) child into the cockpit for a few seconds? Would that be considered a real threat to the integrity of the flight?

I went on holiday recently and was amazed with the more recent 'security measures'. Now I'm in favour of stricter security measures totally if it means preventing another 9/11 - but come on some of this stuff is absolute bullshit. I wear contact lenses and as it was a flight of about 4 hours I thought to myself I'll pop some contact lense solution in my hand luggage just in case. Anyway, after we have checked in and they have taken our suitcases away, they decide to tell us that the only liquid we can carry:

- must be in a clear plastic container

- must not be more than 100ml per container

- must be together (with other clear plastic containers containing 100ml of liquid) in clear plastic bag and sealed

- must be ready for inspection by "probably-overpaid clear plastic container inspection person"

Not that they provided clear plastic containers. Oh no. They could be purchased for £1.50 each from Boots at the other end of the airport.

Cue me and missus stood in the middle of Manchester Airport squirting 250ml of contact lense solution into two 100ml clear plastic containers and then carefully placing these plastic containers into another plastic bag.

And I'm not even a grump old man! I'm 22 FFS.

Rant over.

No doubt some member of the press considered it noteworthy and the press combing engines all big companies use found it tucked away in the Baxenden Gazette or some equivalent.

Under the airline's insurance policy the airline would be obliged to report both the breach of security and of their obligations under the terms and conditions of insurance or face invalidating their entire air insurance policy.

The insurance company would have demanded to know what the airline was going to do about it (code for fire him or risk being uninsurable) and a premium penalty added.

That is the post 9/11 world we live in.

I went on holiday recently and was amazed with the more recent 'security measures'. Now I'm in favour of stricter security measures totally if it means preventing another 9/11 - but come on some of this stuff is absolute bullshit. I wear contact lenses and as it was a flight of about 4 hours I thought to myself I'll pop some contact lense solution in my hand luggage just in case. Anyway, after we have checked in and they have taken our suitcases away, they decide to tell us that the only liquid we can carry:

- must be in a clear plastic container

- must not be more than 100ml per container

- must be together (with other clear plastic containers containing 100ml of liquid) in clear plastic bag and sealed

- must be ready for inspection by "probably-overpaid clear plastic container inspection person"

Not that they provided clear plastic containers. Oh no. They could be purchased for £1.50 each from Boots at the other end of the airport.

Cue me and missus stood in the middle of Manchester Airport squirting 250ml of contact lense solution into two 100ml clear plastic containers and then carefully placing these plastic containers into another plastic bag.

And I'm not even a grump old man! I'm 22 FFS.

Rant over.

To be fair, the plastic bag thing was plastered all over the media months ago, and has been common since then.

:rover: if rovers hired this jet as a private charter surely the rules could give a bit,poor guy out of work at his age he may never get another one,rovers should compensate him :brfc:

What wage is Savage on? Surely he could easily cover the pilot's paychecks if he wanted to :rolleyes:

What wage is Savage on? Surely he could easily cover the pilot's paychecks if he wanted to :rolleyes:

Not that I'm one of those that can't tell the difference between Football Manager and real life, but the game is usually pretty accurate. Anyway on the FM08 demo they have Savage on about £45k per week. Surely that ain't right???

I was on that flight and I didn't feel that my safety was compromised in any way by Sav being in the flight deck. If it had been a normal flight then it wouldn't be acceptable but the flight had players, officials from the club, journalists and fans who had gone on the trip, so where's the problem?

I thought Captain Mason was excellent and it will be MyTravel's loss if they don't reinstate him.

That is the post 9/11 world we live in.

Nowt to do with 9/11 . It's the same old story ; lack of common sense combined with some jobsworth on a power trip applying rules in situations were they aren't warranted .

Savage a potential terrorist ? Do me a favour . This captain's boss should just have had a quiet word with him and that should have been that . This is a man's livelihood we're talking about .

bp, talking out of your derriere again.

The insurance rules for airlines are EXACTLY how I described them. These were imposed as a result of Governmental pressure in the aftermath of 9/11 and there is no apettite to relax them. The airline had zero room for doing anything else. Airline security is now sharply delineated black and white.

I am not saying that the sacking of the pilot is not terribly sad and it doesn't make sense given the circumstances.

What if an experienced pilot let his/her (I assume there are female pilots too) child into the cockpit for a few seconds? Would that be considered a real threat to the integrity of the flight?

Ask the Airbus passengers that crashed a few years back - on no you can't they're all dead - Aeroflot Crash

In this case though I do think it's a massive overeaction by MyTravel

Nowt to do with 9/11 . It's the same old story ; lack of common sense combined with some jobsworth on a power trip applying rules in situations were they aren't warranted .

Savage a potential terrorist ? Do me a favour . This captain's boss should just have had a quiet word with him and that should have been that . This is a man's livelihood we're talking about .

The airline have issues a statement saying they have a "zero tolerance policy".

This is the sort of thing that happens under all zero tolerance policies. Common sense goes out of the window.

Ask the Airbus passengers that crashed a few years back - on no you can't they're all dead - Aeroflot Crash

In this case though I do think it's a massive overeaction by MyTravel

I only said "into the cockpit" To let a child into the pilot seat alone, not to mention let him "turn the wheel a bit", is simply idiotic and fully irresponsible.

• 1 month later...

Archived