BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer's New Book

After buying his last book about winning the Championship wth Rovers, which must be a contender for most boring sports book ever written I think I'll pass this time. It was memorable for the line about celebrating a Rovers win by going home and creosoting the garden fence.

I think the reason he went to Newcastle was simply because it was his hometown team and he was a big fan, the only thing better than winning the league would be to help your own team to win it.

Agree 100% about this but there are some very bitter and twisted people out there (not just Rovers fans) that refuse to believe this

Agree 100% about this but there are some very bitter and twisted people out there (not just Rovers fans) that refuse to believe this

Agreed

I would ask him why he left Rovers for an average team?

Newcastle weren't average at the time though, they were challenging Man Utd for the title. Shearer could (and possibly should) have been the man that made the difference.

i heard him on R5Live phone in and he said time and again how happy he was at rovers etc etc etc. he also said that he had agreed to sign for MU but at the last minute switched to Newcastle because it was his home town team, he's just an ordinary working class guy yawn yawn yawn etc

He wants to make his mind up. Stick with one story.

Well i met him very briefly as there were loads of people queueing just said thanks for 4 great years and that was it...book is very good..its an illustrated career so lots of great photo's and a bit of text ..very complimentary about rovers but does mention the booing when he came back.

Well i met him very briefly as there were loads of people queueing just said thanks for 4 great years and that was it...book is very good..its an illustrated career so lots of great photo's and a bit of text ..very complimentary about rovers but does mention the booing when he came back.

So any links to where you can buy it (I have looked but there seems to be a few books out there already on him)

Cheers. Will definintely be reading this.

I think the reason he went to Newcastle was simply because it was his hometown team and he was a big fan, the only thing better than winning the league would be to help your own team to win it.

How old was he when he left us? He could have signed for Man U or liverpool for a few years then helped Noocastle to prem glory, not that we will ever see that happen!

I would ask him if a small part of him ever regretted leaving us when he did. I think the reason he got booed was that people were gutted that he went when he did and didn't really expect him to leave. I was distraught at the time and spent vast fortunes phoning teamtalk to get info on whether he'd actually left.

If he came back now I for one would give him a great reception - he was the best player I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. Its disappointing though that he never seems to refer to playing for us when talking on MOTD - not sure why - I thought he would have great memories - more so than Newcastle where he never won anything but was so desperate to do so.

Archived