BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bruce For Wigan

Jimbo

Looks like his assistant Eric Black is going with him leaving the youth team coach to run BIG CLUB.

Still pretty confident that Wigan will go down- Bruce is no stranger to taking clubs to Prem relegation. BIG CLUB are presumably going to have to sort out ownership and control before any decent manager will look at them.

I heard Whelan being interviewed on 5Live a couple of hours ago, eulogizing Steve Bruce, and I thought he sounded a bit p@ssed. Anyway, turns out he's at his holiday place in Bardados ( I saw him at the airport a couple of Mondays back) and he did the whole deal from there. He's been so p@ssed he thinks £ 3 million is cheap for Brucey and David Gold is a gentleman to deal with!!!

I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Wigan, but I really want them to finish bottom now as I can't put into words how much I dislike Steve Bruce. But that doesn't mean I will now feel better about Big Club. I still want them to be relgated, but finish ahead of Wigan on goal difference. I'd also like to see Arsenal in the 3rd relegation spot but I reckon they might survive.

I used to have a bit of a soft spot for Wigan, but I really want them to finish bottom now as I can't put into words how much I dislike Steve Bruce. But that doesn't mean I will now feel better about Big Club. I still want them to be relgated, but finish ahead of Wigan on goal difference. I'd also like to see Arsenal in the 3rd relegation spot but I reckon they might survive.

Hahaha. You reckon? Terrible. Oh goodness if only...what a day that would be.

Very poor move for Bruce imo.

I know Birmingham aren't everyone's cup of tea on here but they certainly have enough potential to be at least a solid mid table Premiership outfit, whereas Wigan look destined for the wilderness from whence they came.

EDIT: Whoever had the sizeable punt on Bruce last week must be quids in. Probably Dave Whelan paying for his two weeks in Barbados.

I'm at a loss to see why Bruce is considered a good manager. Yes he has got Brum promoted twice but considering the resources at his disposal that was expected. He has developed very few players, doesn't seem that astute in his signings, had an indifferent record before managing Birmingham and got a decent squad relegated. I haven't seen anything in him that suggests he'll be able to stop Wigan's decline. The fact he is noted for jumping ship in an industry where loyalty is rarer than hen's teeth, is hardly reassuring, for Wigan.

I will grant that he can drive a hard bargain when selling players though, which will come in useful over the summer when Wigan are relegated.

The best thing about it is it should up the compensation that we'll get when Hughes finally leaves. If Bruce is worth 3 million, then we should be able to afford Kaka, Messi and Pirlo with Hughes' compensation. More realistically Rovers really should be looking for a substantial sum when Man U come calling.

Think the move reveals two clubs n real trouble. Wigan are pretty desparate if they're willing to pay 3 million for Bruce, and Bruce's leaving suggests all is not well at Birmingham.

I will grant that he can drive a hard bargain when selling players though, which will come in useful over the summer when Wigan are relegated.

He has good experience as a yo-yo club manager. Sells Prem players for big money after relegation before spending far less on a team capable of winning promotion. Much appeal for Dave Whelan at the moment I'd guess.

What are the odds for the next Brum manager? No doubt Souness will be mentioned in passing, although I'm holding out for a long and frustrating search ending in Micky Adams being appointed. I can see the reasons behind Bruce moving, the Yeung takeover was dragging on as well as the cancellation of a new contract. That uncertainty is not good for anyone in employment. Wigan are probably a sideways step, but he may get a few more pounds in Janurary to buy players just about good enough to get by.

Archived