BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

For what you get at northcote 20 something quid ... Absurd value

Mr villa eh good stuff

Paul heathcote on the other hand ... @#/? poor

Yeah re Chang I am talking western world . Guy is great though up there with Michael bras and juan arzak for the best food I've had

Did you know Vincent Villa ? or Solo's for that matter

ps the dinner menu is £45 for 3 course at Notthcote

Edited by yoda

Seasonal 28.50 minus vouchers of a fiver

I've heard the name

New York this week funny old city but as long as I eat Chang and Bloomfield it's ok

I go to northcote once a month I know the price

I've edited that didn't t want to be confrontational that would be the last thing I'd want

Seasonal 28.50 minus vouchers of a fiver

I've heard the name

New York this week funny old city but as long as I eat Chang and Bloomfield it's ok

I go to northcote once a month I know the price

I've edited that didn't t want to be confrontational that would be the last thing I'd want

No worries, pet subject of mine having changed career some years ago and searching out and taking advice and lessons from some of the industry greats, which we are blessed with in the North West. Employing some eclectic chefs helped too !

Ramen in a Lancashire pub? Well dodged thenodrog! And they are handing Michelin Stars out to ramen places now?? A restaurant in Korea might finally have a shot at getting one of the bloody things then!

This David Chang bloke may have 'reinvented' asian cuisine in the West, but there is nothing better than the real thing. The main reason I decided to move to Korea permanently was the food. Well, that, the wife and the money.

Edited by ultrablue

Went to a local country pub this evening down here in sunny West Midlands and had a disagreement about the fish that was served.

Debs ordered a whole place with new potatoes and salad. When the fish arrived it was on the bone with upside white flesh fully exposed, no head, fins still on and the guts still in, which at first she never noticed as the guts sat under the bone. So after eating some of the upper white flesh she then accidentally cut into the guts which spilled the contents onto the plate.

At this point we questioned the waiter who took the plate into the kitchen where the chef was heard saying:

'It's a full place, what did they expect'

Was I right to complain? Do you get guts served in a place? We've never seen it served like that?

Anyone help?

Went to a local country pub this evening down here in sunny West Midlands and had a disagreement about the fish that was served.

Debs ordered a whole place with new potatoes and salad. When the fish arrived it was on the bone with upside white flesh fully exposed, no head, fins still on and the guts still in, which at first she never noticed as the guts sat under the bone. So after eating some of the upper white flesh she then accidentally cut into the guts which spilled the contents onto the plate.

At this point we questioned the waiter who took the plate into the kitchen where the chef was heard saying:

'It's a full place, what did they expect'

Was I right to complain? Do you get guts served in a place? We've never seen it served like that?

Anyone help?

Surprised the head had been removed if it said whole plaice.

Normal practice on the continent and in the better restaurants in the UK you will find.

Most Chinese restaurants serve fish whole

• Like 1

GAV I couldn't count the number of times I've eaten a whole fish of any sort and never come across this at home or abroad. If I was served fish still with its guts in I would without doubt complain. I would think there are three issues here:

Health and safety

How to deal with the gut on your plate

Unexpected by the huge majority of diners

At the very least Debs should have been warned when ordering. Just reading your post made me feel queasy and I doubt if I could have eaten anything after such an experience.

I'll happily eat offal if I know what I've ordered but not if it just spills on to my plate!!

Hope you didn't pay?

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps much appreciate the feedback.

We've both eaten place many times and never had the guts in, especially if the head had been removed. If you take the time to removed the head it's surly just as easy to remove the guts on a place.

It clearly wasn't right, either a lazy chef or mistake.

We did pay for the dish, £15! But won't be eating there again.

Edited by GAV

For what you get at northcote 20 something quid ... Absurd value

Mr villa eh good stuff

Paul heathcote on the other hand ... @#/? poor Yeah re Chang I am talking western world . Guy is great though up there with Michael bras and juan arzak for the best food I've had

I agree about Paul Heathcote, it is toss pot food. Chap I know was one of his chefs and left when Heathcote dumbed down to microwaves.

I agree about Paul Heathcote, it is toss pot food. Chap I know was one of his chefs and left when Heathcote dumbed down to microwaves.

I have said it before, you would be surprised at which restaurants are ping restaurants these days!

I was once having a pint (or two) outside an establishment mentioned frequently on here. Mid aft on a hot sunny day, I noticed a movement in the corner of my eye and looked up and saw a massive rat running between a wall and the back yard of the establishment and disappearing under the back yard door! Phoned up the owner the day after to tell him that he had a major problem.

Rather reminded me of that 'Farty Towels' episode with Basil the Siberian hamster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWHTxzCeeQ

Edited by thenodrog

You can lose ratings for things like not keeping fridge charts up to date, not recording accidents etc, the ratings cover a lot more than just cleanliness these days and encompass the whole business operation.

A good mantra that has helped us maintain standards is, say what you do, do what you say, prove it.

The current "safer food better business" manuals that are issued by the FSA have 10 chapters in them with documentation that needs regular updates, it is a bit like the BS/ISO quality assurance manuals used in industry to prove that you have control of the business.

Generally speaking chefs don't like paper work and can fall foul of keeping up with it. The responsibility though is with the owners, when the chef owns the business it can get neglected. Not many chef/owners can run a food business successfully these days as the paper work can be very time consuming.

Yes I'm sure its a bloody nightmare paperwork wise, but clearly the inspectors found a bit more than that:

In the latest food hygiene report complied by Ribble Valley Borough Council, the inspector said: “Various foods, including chips and Jersey new potatoes, were being stored/cooled outside on the steps and back wall, in close proximity to the refuse store.

Yes I'm sure its a bloody nightmare paperwork wise, but clearly the inspectors found a bit more than that:

In the latest food hygiene report complied by Ribble Valley Borough Council, the inspector said: “Various foods, including chips and Jersey new potatoes, were being stored/cooled outside on the steps and back wall, in close proximity to the refuse store.

Yep, that probably cost him 2 levels, so that would take him down to 3, you have to look at the full report to know the reasons why it went so low.

A restaurant near us got a Zero recently (1st time they have done that in our area), arguing with an Environmental Health officer does not go down well !

Not sure why the EHO did not close them at the time.

The said restaurant has now closed though (sign says on holiday for a month)

Edited by yoda

Is that smith? My links playing up . Freemasons much improved but it's taken many curious visits

Thenodrog I was previously commenting on the idea that the people pissing their pants over horsemeat were unlike me, and it seems you more than happy to eat any old beef no matter what life it led

Little New York food update

Le bernardin - as expected

Spotted pig - superb, shame we couldn't keep ab in this country

Momofuku ko - super although the magic has gone at new premises re the previous mystery

Various great burgers and pizzas especially in Brooklyn

Honourable mention to the beer selection at JFK shake shack . JFK food and drink selection an embarrassment of riches compared to our airports

Where did you see the rat by the way ? If it was in a beer garden there are a couple I can think of where it would be unfortunately unavoidable

• 2 weeks later...

Visited the Aspinall Arms this lunchtime at Mitton on the banks of the Ribble. Our first time here since the extension and refurbishment. Very nice indeed in a lovely setting. Good service and tasty food, Ribble Valley prices but these were obviously expected. Sat outside due to the sunny, warm weather and the place was pleasantly full bearing in mind it was Friday, rather than weekend.

A mention also for the Chetham Arms in Chapeltown, inbetween God's Country and Bolton. The pub has had a makeover. Good food at very competitive prices. Unfortunately a few photos of BWFC fans on the walls but there's time for me to get them to see sense.