BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Can't even see a special board on the website . Very poor that you have to order in advance . I said go somewhere else but have been overruled so to speak .

They change the specials on a regular basis Abbey so to keep the website up to date would be a full time job i’d imagine, ring them and ask them whats on, its usually interesting.

As for ordering beforehand, like Gordon says, if you want the full range of what they have to offer its probably best to order before, just rolling up on the day could limit your options.

Indeed and for a few diners you wouldn't ever need to but if it's a large party then I really can see both sides. Lots of planning and 'prep' involved in catering. Anyway very often for a large function like a wedding or Christmas Party there is a choice of menu to be made months before.

I may have misled you abbey, I wasn't referring to the specials but to a 'market menu' which they offer. Two courses for £11.95 or similar. Mon night there was a cod dish and 5 out of 8 chose that only to be informed that there were only 3 left. The chef then substituted Sea Bream and 2 were quite happy with that. I guess policies implemented like that do help to keep food fresh.

Just as an aside am I the only person that see's a 'Specials board' is nothing of the sort but is used as a way to get rid of food which is approaching it's sell by date? Pretty sure if I was the chef / owner looking in the fridge and saw food which 'needed eating up' as my mother used to say then I'd look at running specials to entice diners to choose it. Also I don't discount wholesalers contacting eateries with a few cheap deals done at cost to get rid of food and in particular meat and fish which may have been overbought.

we are having a family meal at the clog on Friday but have to order 2 days before we go....whats that about? surely a chef can make meals to order on the day.

He should be able to, only drawback is the size of the table, and the expectation of everyone on the table to be served within a reasonable time of each other. This expectation can vary widely depending on the party. i.e. do some in the party use it as an excuse to dine for free!

He should be able to, only drawback is the size of the table, and the expectation of everyone on the table to be served within a reasonable time of each other. This expectation can vary widely depending on the party. i.e. do some in the party use it as an excuse to dine for free!

You know what Yoda it really irritates me the amount of people that try and get away with free meals, not that I'm saying Abbeys party would by the way.

It has to be exceptionally poor for me to complain, I just don't go back if its rubbish.

Oyster and Otter was the last time I complained, chicken wasn't cooked and the manager agreed, upon returning from the kitchen he told me it was fully cooked and the fact it was pink was a 'trick of the light'! Food not retuned, the fact I couldn't chew the chicken not considered, no discount, nothing, never been back despite having a voucher for £50.

But recently I’ve heard someone refusing to pay for a £6.50 meal because it didn't look like the picture on the menu!

I was sat on the next table to someone who wanted the food removing from the bill because the Steak wasn't cooked right, but the plate was almost empty!

What are these people on? You must get this from time to time, its bleedin pathetic.

• Like 1

You know what Yoda it really irritates me the amount of people that try and get away with free meals, not that I'm saying Abbeys party would by the way.

It has to be exceptionally poor for me to complain, I just don't go back if its rubbish.

Oyster and Otter was the last time I complained, chicken wasn't cooked and the manager agreed, upon returning from the kitchen he told me it was fully cooked and the fact it was pink was a 'trick of the light'! Food not retuned, the fact I couldn't chew the chicken not considered, no discount, nothing, never been back despite having a voucher for £50.

But recently I’ve heard someone refusing to pay for a £6.50 meal because it didn't look like the picture on the menu!

I was sat on the next table to someone who wanted the food removing from the bill because the Steak wasn't cooked right, but the plate was almost empty!

What are these people on? You must get this from time to time, its bleedin pathetic.

I wouldn't say ABBEY's party is in that category either (in fact I am sure they are not), the point I was making is those types of "customer" force restaurants into introducing restrictions that spoil it for the majority of normal reasonable customers.

You are right we get those from time to time which has forced us to make changes to the menu. I could write a book on comments from dodgy customers.

The worst are the ones who threaten bad reviews if you don't let them bend you over.

Disgusting people who should not be allowed out.

There should be a review site to review customers so that business owners can see who the dodgy customers are,

Now there's a business idea !

Edited by yoda

Indeed and for a few diners you wouldn't ever need to but if it's a large party then I really can see both sides. Lots of planning and 'prep' involved in catering. Anyway very often for a large function like a wedding or Christmas Party there is a choice of menu to be made months before.

We booked a table of 12 last Saturday at the New Holly in Forton and were asked to order in advance (for 2 courses anyway). All went very smoothly with the food for everyone coming out together. Food itself was OK but nothing special.

.....never been back despite having a voucher for £50..

I had one of those. We went September last year £250+ for 7. It was my wife's birthday so everyone had whatever they wanted. I went to pay at the till and got the standard "was everything all right for you?" I didn't answer and full marks to the manageress for interpreting this correctly. Basically four of us in the party are very good cooks and could have produced far superior food.

I was given a £50 voucher and asked to come back midweek. I said that I'd go on a Friday or Saturday as anyone can cook well when it's quiet.

Went back one Saturday about 2 months later. Food and service terrible even with a £50 discount!!

I'll never go back. It's a great shame as the O&O was a breath of fresh. Now prices have doubled and quality halved.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

I had one of those. We went September last year £250+ for 7. It was my wife's birthday so everyone had whatever they wanted. I went to pay at the till and got the standard "was everything all right for you?" I didn't answer and full marks to the manageress for interpreting this correctly. Basically four of us in the party are very good cooks and could have produced far superior food.

I was given a £50 voucher and asked to come back midweek. I said that I'd go on a Friday or Saturday as anyone can cook well when it's quiet.

Went back one Saturday about 2 months later. Food and service terrible even with a £50 discount!!

I'll never go back. It's a great shame as the O&O was a breath of fresh. Now prices have doubled and quality halved.

They are asking the question at the wrong time, it should be asked approx' a minute or so after you have received your food.

Food not returned, that was the give away, I think I would have laid into them for that one.

Last week someone tried to say the Salt and Chilly pepper chips were to salty FFS

Edited by yoda

Food not returned, that was the give away, I think I would have laid into them for that one.

Last week someone tried to say the Salt and Chilly pepper chips were to salty FFS

Yes you're probably right, but I let it go.

To salty FFS! :angry2:

So you can't complain at the end :)

Not just for that reason, food is so subjective, if a customer has received something unexpected or it's just not to their taste, then that is the time/opportunity to correct matters. (some professional complainers still go away and complain later, to what end I will never understand)

We have always worked in that way, as taught by some of the best in the business that used to teach at Blackburn College when they were supplying Chefs for the Queen etc.

Some notable restaurants don't, maybe they believe all meals are perfect every time and don't need to interact with customers in that way.

Some well know restaurants are now ping restaurants so maybe they think the food is perfect every time come what may.

Edited by yoda

Not just for that reason, food is so subjective, if a customer has received something unexpected or it's just not to their taste, then that is the time/opportunity to correct matters. (some professional complainers still go away and complain later, to what end I will never understand)

We have always worked in that way, as taught by some of the best in the business that used to teach at Blackburn College when they were supplying Chefs for the Queen etc.

Some notable restaurants don't, maybe they believe all meals are perfect every time and don't need to interact with customers in that way.

Some well know restaurants are now ping restaurants so maybe they think the food is perfect every time come what may.

"Ping" restaurants....is that how Heathcotes went? Microwave chicken?

I was able to eat at the Waddington Arms the other day. A+ for me. Food was excellent, atmosphere was nice, service was excellent, and prices were reasonable.

Always had a good reputation.

The Haighton Manor has been turned back into a restaurant now I believe. anyone tried it yet ?