BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto

Jammy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As this by far is our most realistic way of getting into europe next season, I hope we have applied.

Look upwards 3 posts.

We have according to the one and only Lee Grooby.

Intertoto could be awarded to 6th (worst case), 7th or 8th. Chelsea doing a Cup double again would help our cause as well as killing the English game as a spectacle!

As this by far is our most realistic way of getting into europe next season, I hope we have applied.

R U B B I S H

We are firmly one of six teams that could finish in the top 7 outside of the top 4.

City - won 1 drawn 1

Villa - lost 1 drawn 1

Everton - drawn 1 one to go

wham - lost 1 one to go

pompy lost 1 one to go

I see City fading due to lack of strength up front.

Wham may not just be good enough.

Everton could have a bad run and injuries hampering their push.

Villa can only go so far with free kicks and corners before their luck runs out.

Portsmouth have seriously dodgy home form and are due a bad run away game wise.

Rovers have a chance in the next 6 games to cement their place in the top 7. In fact, I say apart from Arsenal away (employ 1-5-5 formation) Rovers can glean a good 14 points from those 7 games if they get lucky.

Rovers have a chance in the next 6 games to cement their place in the top 7. In fact, I say apart from Arsenal away (employ 1-5-5 formation) Rovers can glean a good 14 points from those 7 games if they get lucky.

Wish you hadnt posted that :rolleyes:

All the teams competing for Europe seem to be very dependent on a few key players' form really, so I suspect a lot of it will come down to who gets lucky there. Might wanna check if any teams have had key players underperforming throughout the season; in our case that'd be MGP and Benni mainly, but I suspect other clubs have them too.

Villa could have serious trouble if they get some defensive injuries and suspensions; They only have five defenders, none of whom is a right back. Barry and Gardner are their backups att full back, but then that would leave them thin in midfield. We're not the only ones with a thin squad it seems, so luck there could also play a key part.

For what it's worth, I think Everton will come out the strongest of these clubs. They aren't without their weaknesses either though.

I see City fading due to lack of strength up front.

Wham may not just be good enough.

Everton could have a bad run and injuries hampering their push.

Villa can only go so far with free kicks and corners before their luck runs out.

Portsmouth have seriously dodgy home form and are due a bad run away game wise.

Surprised on you 1864 on just discrediting a post as rubbish

All what you have stated could apply to the Rovers also.

We are not entirely firing on an attacking front.

We may not just be good enough considering recent form etc.

This could also happen to us , and we are certainly short on numbers and limited if the youngsters will not be given a chance.

We don't really have any advantage at anything - especially at freekicks and corners

Our home form is as bad as Pompeys

As you say we need to be lucky- personally I think we have been for quite a number of games , and that will come to end soon and most probably against Arsenal.

Lets just hope we can make Europe from the league position but I think the culb are certaily right in applying.

I think of the teams still in the European hunt, we are the ones who are yet to click back into top gear. Others around us are starting to falter and we are due another good run. Yes we havent lost for 6 or 7, but we havent been playing too well.

I think we will finish 6th in the league.

Looking at the possibility of the Intertoto Cup thanks god I will be in the caribbean as watching Rovers v vetra in greece in heat of around 40 degs c was imply just to hot to handle, even with 10 pints of Cider !!!

Won't the Caribbean be just as hot? :blink:

Maybe you should try Morecambe

A good call from Rovers.

They've obviously assessed the possible end of season finish and with the lack of any quality additions in the january transfer window and a tough April fixture list i think its the right decision.

• 3 weeks later...

The Daily Express has it today:-

"Manchester City’s manager is not alone – six other Premier League clubs have put their names down for a backdoor journey into Europe.

Only the two highest finishers after the other Euro places have been taken will qualify."

Link

The Interto-tu-to-te should be scrapped. European football is dead. The charm has gone. It's no longer a novelty to see top European teams play each other, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea play Barcelona, Milan, Real Madrid etc twice a season as they play us. When the competition forst started it was exciting, now we actually know how the games will be played out, as we do when the big teams play in this country.

It should be back to Champions in the Champions League and 2nd-6th in the UEFA Cup. If you win a cup, your prize? The pride of winning a domestic honour. Why the Carling Cup winners warrent a place in europe solely on winning that competiton alone is beyond me.

The FA Cup hasn't been won by a team who hadn't qualified for europe via league position in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time, and it's a joke that the runners up (Millwall, West Ham) can end up in europe because they finished RUNNERS UP in a cup competition.

The Interto-tu-to-te should be scrapped. European football is dead. The charm has gone. It's no longer a novelty to see top European teams play each other, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea play Barcelona, Milan, Real Madrid etc twice a season as they play us. When the competition forst started it was exciting, now we actually know how the games will be played out, as we do when the big teams play in this country.

It should be back to Champions in the Champions League and 2nd-6th in the UEFA Cup. If you win a cup, your prize? The pride of winning a domestic honour. Why the Carling Cup winners warrent a place in europe solely on winning that competiton alone is beyond me.

The FA Cup hasn't been won by a team who hadn't qualified for europe via league position in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time, and it's a joke that the runners up (Millwall, West Ham) can end up in europe because they finished RUNNERS UP in a cup competition.

I couldn't disagree more. Why bother watching football if you think Man Utd v Barcelona has no charm ? Do you not want to see Rovers play other european teams or would you rather just watch us play teams like Reading and Derby every week.

I don't care how we get into europe as long as we get there.

Archived