BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Education, Education, Education

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Missed a comma there. Poor do from a QEGS boy.

Ah, now we're getting to the bottom of it - inverted snobbery.

(This is starting to get a bit worrying, I'm seemingly being stalked by some complete nut I'm not aware I've ever met who seemingly now knows my personal details and who makes a point of insulting any post I make on any subject Rovers related or not. At least I know what Rover 6 feels like now.)

Not really Rev. Just a cheap dig. Mind you, I remember knowing from an early age that the lads playing rugby across the playing fields from us footie plebs at Pleckgate were getting an unfair leg up in the world.

If they were playing rugby, then they probably weren't doing it very well - QEGS was always a football school and rugby was extremely insignificant in comparison.

That's unless it's changed in the 25 years since I left.

If they were playing rugby, then they probably weren't doing it very well - QEGS was always a football school and rugby was extremely insignificant in comparison.

It hasn't, QEGS is still and always has been a football school. The rugby boys are just the outcasts that can't play football. Thank God it isn't a rugby school or there would be no Rovers.

I left in 1980. The rugby pitches must have been a mirage. In do remember that QEGS wouldn't play any of the local schools, saving themselves for their fee-paying peers outside the town borders. So you must be (half) right. Which I guess proves my point. Sort of.

Wow, I never knew people where so bitter about QEGS?!

I left a few years ago and during my time I played football against

Witton Park

Pleckgate

Beardwood

Darwen Vale

St Bedes

St Mary's College

Blackburn College

Moorland

We won the Blackburn with Darwen schools cup twice and came runners up once

Wow, I never knew people where so bitter about QEGS?!

I left a few years ago and during my time I played football against

Witton Park

Pleckgate

Beardwood

Darwen Vale

St Bedes

St Mary's College

Blackburn College

Moorland

We won the Blackburn with Darwen schools cup twice and came runners up once

Things must have changed then. Not bitter, just not keen on a system where wealth, rather than ability, means you get into good schools, universities, jobs, and on it goes.

The founder members of the rovers were in the main ex grammer school pupils. Rovers were the upper/middle class team in the town.

Olympic would have been my team.

I see it's QEGS 500 years anniversary next year. What a great opportunity to make it a real community school, and get rid of the fees, entrance exams and the rest.

Olympic would have been my team.

I see it's QEGS 500 years anniversary next year. What a great opportunity to make it a real community school, and get rid of the fees, entrance exams and the rest.

And thus turn it into every other failing comprehensive. Great plan, well thought out. It's MORE schools with entrance exams we need, not less.

And thus turn it into every other failing comprehensive. Great plan, well thought out. It's MORE schools with entrance exams we need, not less.

Most comprehensives don't "fail", but don't let the facts get in the way of a rather thick slice of prejudice.

Just explain to me why, because my Dad was a taxi driver, and my mum a phone operator, that I -and thousands of other working class kids from the area - got a second class education. It stinks.

Most comprehensives don't "fail", but don't let the facts get in the way of a rather thick slice of prejudice.

Just explain to me why, because my Dad was a taxi driver, and my mum a phone operator, that I -and thousands of other working class kids from the area - got a second class education. It stinks.

Don't know much about Quegs, but my dad, whose father was a skilled manual worker and whose mother was a cleaner passed his 11 plus and went to grammar school.

Don't know much about Quegs, but my dad, whose father was a skilled manual worker and whose mother was a cleaner passed his 11 plus and went to grammar school.

Correct, you don't know much about QEGS. It was/is I guess a fee paying school, not part of the state system. We didn't have the 11plus in Blackburn.

Can we keep this on topic please people, as much as we can in here anyway, I suggest making or using a current education thread in ICBINF for the school discussions.

Rev started it with his bad punctuation. Perhaps Nicko could offer him a job placement to get him up to scratch.

There, nearly back on topic.

If you wanted to go then at that time there were scholarships and assisted places (to the best of my knowledge there aren't now, which is something I don't agree with at all). If you didn't want to go, then where is the problem?

You've already said that the system is favouring people with wealth rather than ability, but reckon they should do away with the entrance exam?

If you wanted to go then at that time there were scholarships and assisted places (to the best of my knowledge there aren't now, which is something I don't agree with at all). If you didn't want to go, then where is the problem?

You've already said that the system is favouring people with wealth rather than ability, but reckon they should do away with the entrance exam?

I was a boy of ten when decisions were taken about my secondary school.

Hopefully my father was against it on principle.

you wouldnt have got any better an education regardless of whether QEGS existed or not. people who go to fee paying schools still pay for state schools (and contribute quite a lot comparitively considering most are top band tax payers) and yet don't use them, which means funds can be distributed a bit more generously at least.

and if people have the means to get themselves a better education, then why shouldnt they be allowed to? i'm at university now doing one of the, if not the most competitive courses around and there's plenty of people from state schools who are doing really well. there's many state schools around the country that outperform QEGS anyway.

i do see where you are coming from with regards to it giving you a better start in life, but to look at it and lay the blame at the door of private schools is missing the point entirely. there's much wider issues that need tackling.

btw these posts should probably be moved to another thread.

You got a standard education, others got a better one because they paid extra.

The other kids were richer than you and got a better education than you, because of the same accident of birth that meant that you were richer and got a better education than millions of other kids all over the world.

It would not improve the state education one bit to get rid of public schools, it would just drag everyone down to the lowest common denominator. The only people that would want that must struggle to leave their homes under the weight of the chips on their shoulders.

My dad was a drayman and my mum worked in the brewery offices. I am state educated and expect that my children will be also, but if I had the means then I would not hesitate to put my kids into the best schools that I could find.

Archived