BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Johann Vogel

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Hughes I hope chocky! :rover:

Smart Arse... :rolleyes: ....I just wondered what type of player he is...Never heard of him myself..Hope He is another Gem find by Mark Hughes..Boy is our season unwinding..I don't think we will make the Euros next season now..

30 year old Swiss midfielder who has played some major European clubs. he's out of contract at the moment after a contractual dispute with ex-club, Real Betis. He's technically gifted and plays the midfield holding role. Hughes has indicated that he will bide his time, giving Vogel a chance to prove himself and his fitness, and if he is signed, it is likely to be with next season in mind.

(The above saves you from trawling through the Nicko thread).

I don't know how it's possible not to have seen Vogel in action if you're a football fan, especially if you're English.. He played in the European Championships in both 1996 (at only 19!) and 2004 (and I'm quite certain that he took part in both the 1996 and 2004 games against England), in addition to the World Cup in 2006. He's just what we need, in my opinion, and would be a significant improvement in our central midfield. The only worrying part is that he's had some injury problems in the past.

I don't know how it's possible not to have seen Vogel in action if you're a football fan, especially if you're English.. He played in the European Championships in both 1996 (at only 19!) and 2004 (and I'm quite certain that he took part in both the 1996 and 2004 games against England), in addition to the World Cup in 2006. He's just what we need, in my opinion, and would be a significant improvement in our central midfield. The only worrying part is that he's had some injury problems in the past.

I don't know. It was suggested (possibly by thenodrog? could be wrong) that people were lying about having seen Roque Santa Cruz before! I'm not sure how much a majority of fans pay attention to anything non-domestic or English.

I went to the Euros in 2004 and World cup in 2006 and I don't remember him...but then again I went to Englands matches...

You probably didn't see much then considering you must have come home early both times if you were following England!

Got to the 1`/4 finals not that bad...also at the world cup went to Germany V Argentina in Berlin...

Does anyone actually KNOW if he's signed anything for us as yet? :rolleyes:

According to yesterday's LT, MH is going to give it a few days to decide what to do, options including signing him to play now and next season(s) or just for next season(s).

You are so often wrong, I am reassured by that post.

I'm looking to the future and not looking into the past, all very well that Vogel made his debut in 96 but this is 2008, last season has gone, its the future that gives me great cause for concern, as for the Dunny lovers i'm positively right on my view point on the lad.

Hopefully i'm here, right now wondering what the future holds, questioning the current watch at Rovers wondering have they got what it takes, the past has gone.

Like the sound of this one potential new very slightly younger hamman type. So preparation for next season starts now, clearly bentley is gone come the summer so next seasons 1st choice midfield currently reads Vogel + 3 more new signings as Dunn and Reid are no better than squad players if we aim to be top 6 or 7. I concede that bentley is as good as gone to either villa, city, scousers or spuds. So Friedel,Warnock,Ooijer(can't believe how improved he is), and santa aside we have several positions that can be improved, c'mon the scouts. p.s. what the hell has happened to samba lately let alone nelsen.

Spot on Philip. Vogel at 30, as a defensive midfielder, has another four years left in him I would imagine. As a free transfer, hopefully Hughes' pulling power can make the deal happen if he passes a fitness test etc. although it sounds very pie in the sky at the moment.

As for you, JAL, this is the real-world football, not Football Manager :rolleyes:

If he turns out to be another class buy then i'll hold my hands up and say yes i've made a mistake, but ive watched the Swiss play a few times over the past decade and Vogel never stood out for me, he didnt stand out even when he played for PSV and the Milan team..who is Johann Vogel, then again who was Bruno Berner hopefully Hughes will get it right because for me Hughes has no room for error right now in the transfer market.

I would love to sign him, the year PSV made the semi's I thought he was their best player. Made the mistake of going to Milan and sitting on the bench but I rate him very highly and would be a big improvement to our midfield.

Good distribution and can hold the ball, considering the only reason he wasn't running on for Milan is because of Pirlo and Gattuso I'd say he would be an excellent acquisition.

Archived