BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New England Captain!

Rio Ferdinand has been confirmed as the England captain for tomorrow nights friendly. It was expected to be Joh Terry but Capello has confirmed he is wanting to rotate the captain before the world cup qualifiers.

Not really sure what i think of this tbh.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I know he's ex-West Ham n'all but he is a far better choice of captain than John Terry. John Terry sums up all that is wrong with this country and it's football imo. Rio also a far better footballer than Terry. I could go on but I won't. Not saying Rio is ideal but I think he could do well.

Well, I know he's ex-West Ham n'all but he is a far better choice of captain than John Terry. John Terry sums up all that is wrong with this country and it's football imo.

I'd say exactly the same about Rio tbh.

Dug in his heels about his new contract at ManUre as I recall, claiming something like 90-100k p.w. wasn't enough.

Missed a drugs test.

Organised that ridiculous Beadle's about type show raising cheap laughs at other's expense. In particular Beckham actually thought he was being kidnapped and bailed out of a moving car and could have caused himself serious injury.

Seems to organise all the parties at ManUre which usually seem to end up with accusations of extremely inappropriate behaviour and subsequent criminal investigations.

I'm sure I could go on as well. (Over to you AESF. :lol:)

Very much hope it's only a temporary appointment.

Can't stand him or his brother. Over-rated, big-headed - many other reasons can't be bothered to go into or waste time and bandwidth on.

My current dream is for our strikers/and/or Bents to outwit him when we play ManUre in a couple of weeks. Another hat-trick for Bents please.

I swore I wouldn't follow England if he was ever made captain. However, if Bents is playing I feel it my duty to support him.

I cant for the life of me think of one thing Rio has ever done that suggests he's a suitable England captin. However off the top of my head I can think of several reason why he should never have received this honour. For me you cant look any further than Steven Gerrard in the current squad. I really do hope this is only for one game.

Organised that ridiculous Beadle's about type show raising cheap laughs at other's expense. In particular Beckham actually thought he was being kidnapped and bailed out of a moving car and could have caused himself serious injury.

Oh come on, you cannot be serious.

I agree with the rest of your post but, come on, you cannot cite this as an example of bad behaviour or indicate that it is a product of his poor character.

Also, the show was ace - it actually made me like the guy!

I'm not sure who I'd give the captaincy to. Ordinarily I would say Gerrard, but he doesn't perform consistently enough for England. The same goes for pretty much the entire team. Maybe Neville when he returns?

:rolleyes: I advocated dropping Terry during the euro demise because of his attitude. I also was in favour of dropping Gerrard to the bench and Lampard from the squad. They along with others were playing in a comfort zone formed by a too strong media and a too weak English management. I see ignoring Terry as more of a disciplinary measure and a strong message to all the squad (and of course their conniving agents <_< ) than a measure of support for Rio. Capello's mind games are absolutely fascinating!

..... and brought ever more sharply into focus by the TV appearence of McLaren tonight. I predicted that the England job would destroy him ... and it has! No club chairman would touch him with a bargepole now would they? The cupid stunt claimed to Gabby Yorath that he used the experience of the crowd and media criticism during and after the Albania debacle to strengthen the resolve of the team and his staff! :o What an absolute thick gobshyte! I wonder if the penny will even drop with the fool by the time we are all sat at home watching an 'Englandless' competition this summer?

Ferdinand (in my view) is a complete @r5ehole. He typifies everything i hate about the prima-donna chav "let`s roast a bint" bling culture that is blighting English football.

Rio Ferdinand.....a footballer i`d not get tired of braining, with a shovel.

Taxi for Fabio!

Ferdinand (in my view) is a complete @r5ehole. He typifies everything i hate about the prima-donna chav "let`s roast a bint" bling culture that is blighting English football.

Rio Ferdinand.....a footballer i`d not get tired of braining, with a shovel.

Wow! Put it so much more succinctly than I did. :tu:

A grooby for that part of the post required.

Totally baffling and actually quite sad. To think of all the great names who have been England captain through the years - Billy Wright, Bobby Moore, Peter Shilton, Bryan Robson, Kevin Keegan, Beckham, and our very own Ronnie Clayton. Sportsmen who composed themselves with dignity & earned the respect of colleagues & fans alike.

Few would have a problem with rotating between Owen, Beckham & Gerrard as England skipper, but to choose Plug from the Beano is just ludicrous. I can only assume Capello likes having someone as captain who, like himself, seems to have English as a second language.

In an interview on the subject Capello said, and I'm paraphrasing "the England captain should be a role model, someone who is seen and heard..." Hopefully this reference to being a role model is only seen as applicable to 90 minutes on the pitch. Ferdinand as a role model? The man is clearly anything but a role model in his personal and football life. Shows poor judgement, or choice of words, on Capello's part.

I think you're all being a little bit harsh on Rio. Of course he's made some pretty big mistakes in his private life in the past, but like him or not, he really seems to have changed his attitude over the past year or so. He would get my vote and hopefully, he will grab it with both hands are really become a true leader of men.

Look at the alternatives:

Terry - over-rated as a player and possibly not even first choice for England now. Plus he's been anything but a leader in the past year or so.

Gerrard - World class player but the burden of captaining his club team is enough for him - needs to just express himself for England without the worry of leading the side. Surely that's what England need.

Ferdinand is clearly the best man for the job. None of the midfielders are consistent enough or guaranteed of their place. Maybe Rooney would be a good choice but I'm not sure forwards or scousers make ideal captains. There's no first choice goalkeeper.

personally i think this is a bad choice. whilst he is a first choice starter for England, i believe that John Terry that should be England captain. We need a terry butcher/colin hendry player as captain, someone who wears their heart on their sleeve. He is also occasionally prone to error with united and feel he is very over-rated as a player just because he is quick and 'silky'.

Stevie G also deserves a mention although i think maybe not intervening with the whole mascherano situation probably did not help his cause

Stevie G is weak, overrated, a whiner

John Terry is a slow, one dimensional thug with a thing for young groupies

Michael Owen and David Beckham are past their best and unlikely to start very often

So where's this magical perfect England captain then? Micah Richards? Stewart Downing?

Oh, of course... It's David Bentley! At least until he leaves us and you can all start hating him.

A shocking choice in my opinion. Ferdinand is not a player I would consider to be the leader of our country's football team. He needs to learn how to face the ball, he needs to improve tenfold on the International stage and he quite clearly needs some memory training.

I do suppose though that this rules him out as the long term Captain. It is my view that even though Terry has been a bit obnoxious on the pitch (but havent most chelsea players) he is still my choice and will probably get the arm band back when the real football begins.

Not sure it was a good choice either, though saying that i don't think either Terry or Gerrard deserves the captaincy either.

The problem i have with Rio is he can suddenly out of the blue just switch off and lead to the opposition getting a goalscoring opportunity. I admit he doesn't do it as much now, but every so often his concentration just seems to go.

Well if Fergie trusts him as a captain - I'm sure he can't be that bad.

He's rotating the captaincy to see how each of the candidates does - and I've no problem with that.

He's one of the few players who is pretty much guaranteed to play, so why not?

Well if Fergie trusts him as a captain - I'm sure he can't be that bad.

He's rotating the captaincy to see how each of the candidates does - and I've no problem with that.

He's one of the few players who is pretty much guaranteed to play, so why not?

It may come as a shock too many but i'd rather play Woodgate and Terry. I honestly believe Woodgate is a better player than Ferdinand.

Archived