BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The European Chase

ally

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I have heard that due to the Champions League Final being contested by two English teams there is a chance an extra UEFA spot will be given to the Premier League, but I can not seem to find this anywhere.

I'm sure I have heard that due to the Champions League Final being contested by two English teams there is a chance an extra UEFA spot will be given to the Premier League, but I can not seem to find this anywhere.

Sounds too good to be true....

Heard where? And why would that be the case? Sounds complete rubbish to be honest.

I believe it takes a little while for UEFA Coefficients to change. And I believe any extra spot gained from doing well this year would be for the 09/10 UEFA Cup.

FairPlay

England have won the fairplay. Looks like it is City's place.

What an absolute joke this could turn out to be. City one place below us in Europe and Villa possibly one place above in Europe, can stick their fair play...

As for Lisburn Distillery a 15 minute drive down the road would be pretty handy :D A greyhound track with 2 stands in the middle of a big field would sum up New Grosvenor.

Heard where? And why would that be the case? Sounds complete rubbish to be honest.

Remeber Liverpool winning the Champions League and the Premier League effetively getting an extra space? That seemed unlikely before the final.

I think it was on the BBC a few weeks back.

It could the case LC that UEFA reward the Premiership due to their outstanding peformance in the Champions League, but as mentioned earlier it looks likely that it could be the case but may not happen until 2009/10 season.

LC, you have come up with some classics down the years and I only posted as I was sure I had heard/seen something and wondered if anyone else had, so no need to sound so harsh, after all this is a messageboard where people share their views.

With the 'top 4' getting further than most nations this season, it will certainly boost the English UEFA co-efficiency rating which could lead to another UEFA spot. Looks to be the way in this case. The end of this season is getting more complicated than ever working out if this team does this, and that team does that, then we'll be Europe :D

So, does 6th place get this extra UEFA place or not?

If Man City get it based on not tackling ahead of us, that'd be pretty disappointing.

Then ahead, can't really go against the Fair Play Ideology

What an absolute joke this could turn out to be. City one place below us in Europe and Villa possibly one place above in Europe, can stick their fair play...

It could be:

1. United CHAMIONS LEAGUE

2. Chelsea CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

3. Arsenal CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

4. Liverpool CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

5. Everton UEFA CUP

6. Aston Villa INTERTOTO CUP

7. Rovers

8. Portsmouth UEFA CUP (Through FA Cup)

9. Man City UEFA CUP (Through Fair Play)

10. Tottenham UEFA CUP (Through League Cup)

That'd be pretty hard to take - everyone else in the top 10 getting European football.

I actually think we'll pip Villa for 6th though.

Setanta Sports News is a joke . . . It's amateurish at times.

Didn't think anyone watches Setanta SN, tried watching it but despite their 'top 4' bias, Sky SN wazzes all over it, so to speak :D

It could be:

5. Everton UEFA CUP

7. Rovers

That'd be pretty hard to take - everyone else in the top 10 getting European football.

What would happen if everton finish 6th, would they enter the uefa cup and if so, does that mean that the 7th place team gets the intertoto place??

It could be:

5. Everton UEFA CUP

7. Rovers

That thought simply has ruined my afternoon siesta :wacko:

What would happen if everton finish 6th, would they enter the uefa cup and if so, does that mean that the 7th place team gets the intertoto place??

Apologies if I'm missing something (and I get a strong feeling I might be), but I cannot see the reasoning behind that question. If Everton finish 6th then whoever beats them to 5th will go in to the UEFA Cup, and Everton will enter the Intertoto (as they have applied).

They would be the fair play entrant, if they use the premier league discipline table and as such the intertoto spot would go to 7th.

Unless intertoto takes precedence over fairplay? But as fairplay gets you in further than intertoto i don't think it would.

Apologies if I'm missing something (and I get a strong feeling I might be), but I cannot see the reasoning behind that question. If Everton finish 6th then whoever beats them to 5th will go in to the UEFA Cup, and Everton will enter the Intertoto (as they have applied).
Ah - That one got me earlier. I think the point is that if Everton finish 6th, they would possibly get the Fair Play UEFA spot, thus nudging the league's intertoto spot to us.

I think.

Ah - That one got me earlier. I think the point is that if Everton finish 6th, they would possibly get the Fair Play UEFA spot, thus nudging the league's intertoto spot to us.

I think.

Yep thats exactly it...we have the crazy situation of wanting Villa to finish either 5th (ahead of Everton) or 7th (behind us) and not 6th so we can get into Europe.

Archived