BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] To Any Rovers Player Who Reads This Board

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll probably be laughing and joking over this thread and laughing at the fact that we're not laughing. Maybe it's us with the problem. We need to chill out more and relax and just enjoy the game.

Sod that....bloody b******s! Get them to sit down with us and re-watch the game and then they'll bloody understand!

IT HURTS TO SEE OUR PLAYERS LAUGHING AND JOKING AFTER A DEFEAT AND TELL THE FIRST TEAM WE WANT SOME PRIDE BACK ON SATURDAY FOR THE MAN U GAME........IM IN CAPS YES IM ANGRY AND NEED TO VENT SOME ANGER :angry2:

Come on Abbs get serious, wouldnt you be laughing at the thought of someone paying you £40,000 a week for doing sod all. :angry:

There are some days when I feel embarrassed watching Rovers play - and today's shambles at Anfield was one of those days.

I thought we were woeful and at times painful to watch in terms of the lack of creativity and drive on display. Rovers were guilty of dreadful passing, giving the ball away in dangerous areas and despite some dodgy refereeing decisions in the game, Liverpool were clearly the better side by a long distance. Rovers were overrun in midfield, we've got a chronic lack of pace in certain areas and it was embarrassing to watch.

At the end of October we were sitting 5th in the table, with Mark Hughes winning the 'Manager of the Month' award. Since November though, we've been very poor in too many matches. The number of really good displays from the team can be comfortably counted on the fingers of one hand.

To think that in January John Williams claimed that we were challenging for a Champions League place. Sadly we're a million miles away from being a Champions League side.

I think the team has got major problems and serious questions should be raised as to why it's gone so badly wrong for us this season, with embarrassing cup exits at the hands of Larissa and Coventry now compounded by the fact we've slipped in the League and look unlikely to qualify for Europe.

David Bentley said last month in the link HERE that if we don't qualify for Europe, then this season will have been a failure.

Bentley rightly says: "It's not acceptable to perform once in five games" - but that's exactly what the team has been doing this season.

There have been far too many performances this season which simply haven't been good enough. Bentley says that he isn't happy playing mid-table football - and neither should the fans be happy that the team is mid-table, particularly having been 5th at the start of November and with Mark Hughes clearly stating that his aim is to qualify for Europe. Hughes didn't say that we should be happy to be 9th in the table.

I think question marks have got to be raised about the club's transfer policy - with Hughes declaring that the team looked tired and flat against Reading a fortnight ago. Clearly our squad isn't as strong as PhilipL claimed in the summer, when he said that Rovers have got the strongest squad in our history.

The trustees say they see "no immediate need to invest in the squad", but John Williams claimed in January that we were challenging for a Champions League place. Mr Williams should realise that it's rather difficult to be a top four side without significant investment.

A top four place was clearly beyond us this season, but a top six place should have been achievable if the players had performed to their maximum capabilities. But instead though, we've had a large number of incredibly disappointing and frustrating displays.

There have been all too many "bad days at the office" for my liking and Mark Hughes needs to point out to his players that it isn't good enough.

Dreading the United game, this for me is Mark Hughes and the teams last chance to give the fans something positive to shout about at Ewood.

If ever the fans needed cheering up then a victory over United is just the tonic though you cant see it happening as whats gone before this season doesnt encourage you to believe.

We need a manager who is'nt looking over his shoulder all the time for the first opportunity to get away from Ewood.

The players know this, thus the gutless bored performances.

Interesting perspective although I think it's excedingly harsh on Hughes tbh.

What we do need though imo is for the manager finally to be given a bit of financial backing from the Trustees whereby he can freshen things up a bit, and sufficient that players are made aware that they will not necessarily be long term fixtures if they fail to perform.

Interesting perspective although I think it's excedingly harsh on Hughes tbh.

What we do need though imo is for the manager finally to be given a bit of financial backing from the Trustees whereby he can freshen things up a bit, and sufficient that players are made aware that they will not necessarily be long term fixtures if they fail to perform.

Quite a valid point Rev, one which seems lost on a lot. If one of our players has a subpar performance or several let's say half a season, exactly what is going to happen? Not much they know as well as we do we casn't go out and buy a replacement, the second string has nothing of real quality to step up so... nothing happens.

To me persevering with MGP has been a big mistake, it just sends the wrong message. Awarding Benni an improved contract, again sends the wrong message. Anyway I'm with Abs, give the effort and at least try to look a little bit down if you get tonked, not by being superbly outplayed but from being just shoddy.

To me persevering with MGP has been a big mistake, it just sends the wrong message.

Equally, dropping Ooijer and Zurab for Nelsen and Samba sends out the wrong message. Where's the incentive for players coming in to play well if the old favourites just go back in to the side regardless of form?

Equally, dropping Ooijer and Zurab for Nelsen and Samba sends out the wrong message. Where's the incentive for players coming in to play well if the old favourites just go back in to the side regardless of form?

I agree with both yours and USA's points, but at the same time I can see the logic behind Hughes' decisions.

MGP has had a rank bad season but in the past month or so has started to do what he did when he was most effective for us i.e. play badly and score goals. The one against Bolton didn't change the game a bit, but without him we may well have lost at home to Fulham and Tottenham, which would have been totally unacceptable. If we can find a consistent winger at a reasonable price who can offer 5-10 goals a season I'm sure Hughes will replace MGP, but there really aren't a lot of options.

Ryan Nelsen is club captain. He has proved (far more than Samba) that he is a consistent and vital member of the defence. In fact, on normal form, he is our best defender. Now it's up to Hughes to decide whether he is in bad form or whether the injury has finished him at the very top level. If it is the former and he needs to play his way out then I can see why he retains his place (though I don't necessarily agree). If it's the latter then it's bad management. The way Savage was shipped out following an injury suggests to me that Hughes knows what he's doing and isn't a soft touch with players who don't have anything to offer.

Samba is a funny one. He's so young for a defender that of course he is going to have his calamities. I don't think he's been as bad as people have been suggesting, but at the same time he hasn't been as good as Ooijer OR Kish recently. People talk about giving the youngsters a chance at the end of the season when we have nothing to play for. Is this not what we are doing with Samba? We've seen enough of him to know that he can be imperious, and offers us things that no other defender at the club does. Not least a threat from corners. Nelsen was quoted at the start of the season as saying that Samba could be anything he wants to be - he's that good. The more minutes on the pitch he has, the better he can become. He's a lot more of an important long-term prospect than Ooijer or even Kish.

I think it's very harsh that both have been dropped. And I don't like how MGP gets a free ride sometimes. The dropping of McCarthy tells me that Hughes' patience isn't inexhaustable. And remember, it's not like Benni is leaving either, so it isn't a case of blooding his replacement in the team. Persisting with out of form players is frustrating and is one of the contributing factors in our failures this season. However, I think, at least, decent arguments can be made in each of the three cases for exactly what Hughes has done, even if they haven't ultimately been the right decisions.

Those too, that is just about what I was trying to say LeChuck, thanks for the help. I do think Nelsen has shown signs of his old self since his return, well from the bits I've seen.

IT HURTS TO SEE OUR PLAYERS LAUGHING AND JOKING AFTER A DEFEAT AND TELL THE FIRST TEAM WE WANT SOME PRIDE BACK ON SATURDAY FOR THE MAN U GAME........IM IN CAPS YES IM ANGRY AND NEED TO VENT SOME ANGER :angry2:

I was'nt at the game but clearly saw Santa Cruz with a beaming smile at the end.Who were the others?

But can they really be blamed for looking like Cheshire cats,they earn 40 k each week and it seems they are under no

pressure to perform.Just pick up the dough win or lose week in week out,off to the beach in a couple of weeks.

Its up to the fans.If the same attitude continues on Saturday,Hughes and his players should be crucified.

No more Blaydon races or Hughsey Hughsey give us a wave.Lets not put up with players taking the ######.

Archived