BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Euro 2008

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dutch always seem to be involved in the best matches in the competition, wasn't it them and the Czech republic that produced a brilliant match a tournament or two back?

Anyway, this is the first match that has got me excited, I feel like the tournament has started now. Nothing better than seeing the bloody Italians getting stuffed as well. :)

The Dutch always seem to be involved in the best matches in the competition, wasn't it them and the Czech republic that produced a brilliant match a tournament or two back?

Anyway, this is the first match that has got me excited, I feel like the tournament has started now. Nothing better than seeing the bloody Italians getting stuffed as well. :)

Yeah I have that match on my hard drive. Czechs won 3-2. Absolutely brilliant game - I remember talking to my mate about it afterwards for something like two hours, it was that good.

Watched it on Rai Uno.

Excellent commentary and analysis of the game- admitted they came up against a superbly well organised brilliant Dutch side.

An interesting angle on van Horseface's goal, they played a goal which stood in Serie A - cross for a header by a forward on the goal at the back post clearly offside; except as he connected with the ball, a defender who had been bundled over the goal line in an earlier phase of play came back onto the field and played him on at that instant. There was an Italian defender whom Buffon had bundled out of the way off the pitch beyond the goal line when RvN knocked it in. They still concluded it was offside.

Rai Uno were purring about Andre Ooijer- of course the Italians know a bit about defending. Blackburn (as in Ooijer di Blackburn) got three mentions which is probably three more than the morons on the BBC managed.

Ooijer did well, total lack of distribution though -_- Overall, Holland looked impressive, but I think they will struggle in defence later on (when playing a team with attacking flow, even Italy should have scored two or three)

Italy was absolutely woeful. Donadoni picking Gattuso and Ambrosini alongside Pirlo can only be explained with his Milan connection, and Camoranesi? Del Piero and Cassano has arguably been the amongst the very best the last few months, surely one of them deserves a place in the next game. In midfield, I would be shocked if Perrotta or De Rossi doesn't start instead of the always mediocre Ambrosini or the off-form Gattuso (who's been struggling to keep his place in a poor Milan side).

Still hope they can pull through, beating Romania and the unimpressive France team.

As for the 1st goal, it's actually a correct decision - the defender isn't allowed to "leave the pitch" in open play. Panucci was therefore still "on the pitch", and van Nistelrooy was not offside. I was furious, but there's just been a referee on TV to explain it all (and it actually makes sense, or else the players covering the posts could just take a step back to set the attackers in an offside position).

As for the 1st goal, it's actually a correct decision - the defender isn't allowed to "leave the pitch" in open play. Panucci was therefore still "on the pitch", and van Nistelrooy was not offside. I was furious, but there's just been a referee on TV to explain it all (and it actually makes sense, or else the players covering the posts could just take a step back to set the attackers in an offside position).

What a load of tripe.

99 times out of 100 that will get given as offside.

The refs are merely covering up a mistake or blatent inconsistency, again.

You can call it what you want, but it's the rules. Let me assure you, there would be no reason for the Norwegian referee in question to cover up the mistake made by another referee. And whether it will be given as offside 99 out of 100, maybe - that's 99 wrongs and one right then.

I knew that. Talk about laugh at the commentator and his sidekick Pleat., he's been involved in the game how long and didn't know that :lol:

What a load of tripe.

99 times out of 100 that will get given as offside.

The refs are merely covering up a mistake or blatent inconsistency, again.

OK, so next time we're defending a free kick we should simply line up on the touchline and then step out just as the kicker takes it? Would we play everyone offside?

This light weight ball is reducing the quality of the games.

There have been so many instances of passes ending up short or not reaching the player with enough speed to keep the move flowing for the simple lack of momentum in the ball.

On the other hand the in the air hoof to the wideman works because the ball is travelling further in the air then losing momentum quicker when it contacts the ground.

I don't think a single shot or free kick from outside the box had been on target in the whole competition until late in the second half of yesterday's Italy v Holland game. The ball is simply flying (literally) when hit hard from distance and doesn't seem to have enough mass to be able to bend properly. We are seeing keepers catching balls more often and cleaner.

Archived