BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Euro 2008

Thank you for all the positive comments. We did a really good job yesterday, didn't expect us to beat the Italians! Everybody is talking about the game today. And I'm very proud of Andre Ooijer! It was either him or Mario Melchiot to play, and I think Andre just played great, just like every other Dutchman did! Still though, I'm a little freightened we're celebrating too early. France have more attacking power than Italy has, and will give us a hard time this friday. A draw will see us through though...

Go Oranges!!

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you go through, let the French 'master tactician' Domenech hang his head in shame instead. Managed to include Sebastian Frey this time around, too bad he's six years too late.. Would love to see slick Phillipe Mexes in this Championship too, but unfortunately he's been dropped in favour of a player like Boumsong.

I can't believe a team filled with as many great attacking players can be so unattractive to watch. Still early days, but I don't think they will improve much.. At least Italy had some excuse, they didn't field a good team ;)

France were unfortunately fooled by a World Cup run. Going into the 2006 World Cup no one liked Domenech and everyone wanted him gone, getting to the final meant that many then felt it was virtually impossible to get rid of him. In this way England's failure to qualify for the European Champions can also be seen as a blessing in disguise. Qualification would have seen McClaren keep his job, which would have meant at least two more years of inept management. France and Domenech will probably part ways after this tournament unless France win it, unfortunately they weren't smart enough to think that way after 2006.

They might be the rules, but surely the rules need changing.

Surely Panucci wasn't in a position to defend and his going off the pitch wasn't a deliberate ploy to play RvN offside?

I'm sure the offside law used to be much simpler, but more effective?

How about attackers realising they're in an offside position but stepping off the pitch so as to ensure a team-mate behind them in an onside position doesn't get called offside when receiving the ball?

Your suggestion is logical, but totally impractical. You would be asking the officials to further complicate proceedings by having to make a split-second decision on what they feel the actual intention and the reason for why the player stepped off of the pitch. It's one of those rare situations where you simply have to hold your hands up and say that it was unfortunate, but that it was a rather freak scenario that exposed a rule that most of us may never see be an issue again.

Officials can't make split-second decisions on whether someone's lying on the ground or stood up and one step back from play?

But they can make a split second decision on how many players there are in front of a player, including those off the pitch?

Can't make sense of this at all :S

OK, so I'm a defender and I suddenly realise that I'm caught horribly out of position and that there's a good chance that this will result in the opposition scoring a goal. What do I do? I throw myself on the floor and roll/crawl towards the touchline in agony in an attempt to play everyone else offside. Yes, I know this is unlikely and extreme, but it would be made possible.

Yesterday the tourney woke up, well after France-Romania anyway.

I'm amazed that the talent France has at it's disposal yet played so badly. The Dutch were a treat to watch. Van Horse should have scored 3. Italy is too old, and too many of them aren't playing well. Cassano has to play the next game as he looked good when he came on.

I do like the offside debate, it seems as if the ref got it right, but I doubt many of us would agree if we were Italian.

Errr... ermm.. if you,,,,erm......thought that Mr Alan Shearer, erm, --------- zzzzzzzzzzzzzz--------lacked erm insight in his punditry. Errrr you erm could think, er, again.

"Spain suffer from the same problem as England in that they have too many good players for their team."

." Alan Shearer assesses Spain's chances of winning the Euros

:rover:

Thank you for all the positive comments. We did a really good job yesterday, didn't expect us to beat the Italians! Everybody is talking about the game today. And I'm very proud of Andre Ooijer! It was either him or Mario Melchiot to play, and I think Andre just played great, just like every other Dutchman did! Still though, I'm a little freightened we're celebrating too early. France have more attacking power than Italy has, and will give us a hard time this friday. A draw will see us through though...

Go Oranges!!

Your men there did a fine fine job, I was so happy with that result. The ambitious constant attack made it a real joy to watch.

Bring on the French!

Due to the fact that no British national team is playing, I have adopted the Dutch.

Archived