BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Greatest Sporting Achievement You've Ever Witnessed?

With the summer underway I've been talking to some people at work about the greatest sporting achievement we've ever seen (in person), mainly individual performances rather than team. Some interesting ones have been brought up (Johnson breaking the 200m world record and Zidane in the '98 World Cup Final being two examples). For me the decision was an easy one. As a kid in the 90's I had the pleasure of seeing plenty of Jordan games and as someone living in Salt Lake City this became particularly special in '97 and '98 finals when they played the Jazz. In '97 he played a game with a serious case of the flu and, despite struggling to stay on his feet at times, carried the team to victory. A truly amazing feat and he remains for me the greatest sportsman I have ever seen. Anyone else have any good ones?

Simon Garner's five goals against Derby.

Watching Andy Roberts and Michael Holding at the peak of their powers. Seeing (or not seeing a blistering) Imran Kahn over at Headingley inducing six played and missed false shots from an England middle-order batsman. Seeing big tons from Majid Kahn and Zaheer Abas (seperate games)- still the two most elegant batsmen in my life time.

oh and being inside Headingley when Boycott scored his hundredth hundred.

Dave Thorpe (3 times world 500cc motocross champion) at the British Grand Prix, Farleigh Castle Wiltshire in 1985.

David challenging for his first world championship won the first of the two races ahead of title rival Andre Malerbe of Belgium. In the second race Thorpe was brought down at the first corner, the entire field of 40 world class riders powered by him. By the time he restarted his factory Honda he was dead last and the back of the pack probably 1/2 a mile further down the demanding track. Malerbe's mechanic signalling him that Thorpe had crashed. With the red mist down Thorpie charged through the pack and within 3 laps (6 minutes) had overtaken the entire field bar Malerbe, 100,000 British fans going ballistic has he lined up Malerbe for the pass. Malerbe was in disbelief at Thorpe roared past his Honda team mate. From there on it was a titanic scrap between the two. The races are 40 minutes plus 2 laps and Thorpe tired in the later stages, Malerbe got him late on to take the win.

Thorpe was given a standing ovation as he crossed the line exhausted. He may not of won the race but was a clear demonstration of the man's desire to win. This race remains in motocross folklaw and as a young lad (aged 6) the atmosphere of all those fans willing Thorpie on will always be remembered.

Mansell, Silverstone 1987

28 laps to go

28 seconds behind Piquet

Caught him with a lap to go to win the race.

Awesome.

I wasn't there but the best F1 moment ever, Murry Walker going mental as Mansell closed in on Piquet I even did a talk on it at school. I was at Silverstone for the British GP the season Mansell took the F1 title I was also at Donington when Mansell did the touring car shootout and crashed his car into the fence near where we were standing.

Not really a big sport achievment but I was there at Sealand Road when Chester City played Sheff Wed in the FA cup a long time ago, a big thing at the time as Sheff Wed were a top side we drew 1-1 then went to a replay where Gary Bennett ended Ian Knights career when he broke his leg.

Gonna get some stick for this one, but I'd have to say the US women beating China in the World Cup in LA - at least I got to see Brandi Chastain take her shirt off!! Bought the tickets for face value at the beginning of the tourney. The guy was ###### when he figured how much more he could have sold them for if he knew the US was going to be in the final!

The first English club ever to win the European Cup.

Ashamedly I became a United fan for about three days but couldn't stick to it. Come on you Blues :lol:

My ole man also had three tickets for the World cup Final in '66 but raffled them prior to the tournament thinking England had no chance. :angry2:

Some of you may not even know what it is, but I was at Kenny Rogers perfect game back in July 1994 (When I was only 9) for the Texas Rangers against the then California Angels. For those that don't know what a perfect game is, it's in baseball where a pitcher does not allow a baserunner by hit, error, or walk all game and retires all 27 batters in order.

Michael Shumacher winning 7 world championships.michael atherton and jack russel holding off south africa.the irish beating pakistan i think in a cricket match,eoin wil confirm.but for me the greatest must be Lance Armstrong,battling cancer to win the tour de france AGAIN!

Michael Shumacher winning 7 world championships.michael atherton and jack russel holding off south africa.the irish beating pakistan i think in a cricket match,eoin wil confirm.but for me the greatest must be Lance Armstrong,battling cancer to win the tour de france AGAIN!

Wow, you were there for all of those moments?

Nigel Benn Vs Gerald McClellan

If ever there was a fight that belonged in a rocky film then this was it.

Benn was batterd from the off, even getting knocked out of the ring, But he came back to win.

A great Boxing match wich had the entire pub shouting and urgeing Benn on.

This match did come at a price though, With McClellan suffering major brain damage.

But still possibly the best Boxing match i have seen.

Nigel Benn Vs Gerald McClellan

If ever there was a fight that belonged in a rocky film then this was it.

Benn was batterd from the off, even getting knocked out of the ring, But he came back to win.

A great Boxing match wich had the entire pub shouting and urgeing Benn on.

This match did come at a price though, With McClellan suffering major brain damage.

But still possibly the best Boxing match i have seen.

That fight was immense. It's a shame that the outcome of the fight means that it is very rarely shown on TV. Had it not been so tragic then it would still be talked about as one of the greatest fights ever.

I downloaded the full fight off the internet a few months back to see if it was as dramatic as I remember and it was.

Another boxing match worth a mention was the the first fight between Castillo and Coralles. For nine rounds they beat the **** out of each other, both refusing to go down, then in the tenth coralles was knocked out twice, managed to get to his feet and it looked as though it was game over but he unleashed a flurry of left and rights on castillo, to leave him out cold on his feet with the fight being stopped. Possibly one of the greatest endings to a boxing match ever.

The might Sir Ian Beefy Botham ripping the heart out of the Aussie whingers in what is known as Bothams Ahses !

Whilst at football, The Roves climbing to the top of the Premiership and winning the trophy at Anfield without missing a single minute of every game of the season.

In 1984, playing for the Royal Navy, ripping the trophy from the Met Police, who had won it for some 10 yrs on the bounce, scoring in a 2-0 win !!!

Being at Lords in 1990 to witness Graham Gooch score 333 in the first innings against India (and another ton in the second innings!) was as good as it gets. Also being in Cape Town in 1997 to witness the British Lions muller the Springboks in the First Test.

Oh, and every time we beat the Evil Empire, whether it's in Stretford or Bolton. (That one doesn't happen often enough, before you respond!) ;)

Granted these two where on TV, but hey :)

- Seeing Donegal winning our only All Ireland Title in '92 by beating the Dubs

- That brilliant day in May 95 :D

The two Liverpool Finals. Champions league and FA cup, haven't seen better in my time.

(Waiting for the abuse to start)...I was actually at the game in Istanbul. Feel kind of dirty thinking about it now :lol: , but this is easily the best game I have ever been too :rover:

The atmosphere was unreal after the pens....and the stick I dished out to the Milan fans was also quite special :brfcsmilie:

Being there to witness Viv Richards score 189 not out in the one day international against England at Old Trafford in 1984. This after the West Indies were in all sorts of trouble at 90 odd for 6.

Truly magnificent.

Rovers coming from two goals down after 15 minutes against Derby at home in the play-offs 1992, to absolutely batter them 4-2 in the end which should have been more, a great sporting moment.

Archived