BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fine Wines

Now I'm sure some of you out there swap your real ale now and again for a drop of the finest the grape has to offer..... and really it’s the advice of for those of you who find that Lambrini is just that little bit too sweet and sickly to enjoy that I'm looking for some advice from.

Does anyone know of good 2006, 2007 & 2008 wines that will keep for 18+ years and be a reasonable investment, I'm looking to purchase for my recently acquired nieces and nephews as a special gift to give to them on their 18th Birthday. Of course I could wait a few years to see what comes out as the best wines of the naughties but by then I'm going to have to spend a bit more than I would like...

Any advice on what people think will keep well and those historical consistent keepers would be greatly appreciated. Also just to ensure the topic is of use to people other than myself feel free to recommend those affordable but quality wines you have managed to unearth from the supermarket shelves.

It's a good fun idea and one I wish I'd thought of at the time my kids arrived. I've two suggestions; find a good independent wine retailer, explain your idea and take their advice. Second I'd go for vintage champagne, a case or two for 18th or 21st parties would be fabulous and very classy.

Armagnac is an excellent thought, closely followed by unusal single malts. I could point you towards a few malts if you like that one.

Now I'm sure some of you out there swap your real ale now and again for a drop of the finest the grape has to offer..... and really it’s the advice of for those of you who find that Lambrini is just that little bit too sweet and sickly to enjoy that I'm looking for some advice from.

Does anyone know of good 2006, 2007 & 2008 wines that will keep for 18+ years and be a reasonable investment, I'm looking to purchase for my recently acquired nieces and nephews as a special gift to give to them on their 18th Birthday. Of course I could wait a few years to see what comes out as the best wines of the naughties but by then I'm going to have to spend a bit more than I would like...

Any advice on what people think will keep well and those historical consistent keepers would be greatly appreciated. Also just to ensure the topic is of use to people other than myself feel free to recommend those affordable but quality wines you have managed to unearth from the supermarket shelves.

When I go out I drink beer, but at home I drink wine. I get about 12 bottles every 3 months from a company at www.Laithwaites.com they are worth checking out. I get some good wines from there. Often about 12 to 18%.

what I like about this company is that I am on a deal with them called 4 seasons. Basically I get a case (12 bottles) from them every 3 months sent to me - these are wines that are 'in season' grape / fruit wise. If a case arrives and I feel that I already have enough wine left from the last delivery - I can phone them up and they will come a collect it without charge. (I have only asked them to do this once - if I am honest) Their wines are good in my view. Have a look at there website - contact them - they should be able to help you with what you want to do.

When I go out I drink beer, but at home I drink wine. I get about 12 bottles every 3 months from a company at www.Laithwaites.com they are worth checking out. I get some good wines from there. Often about 12 to 18%.

what I like about this company is that I am on a deal with them called 4 seasons. Basically I get a case (12 bottles) from them every 3 months sent to me - these are wines that are 'in season' grape / fruit wise. If a case arrives and I feel that I already have enough wine left from the last delivery - I can phone them up and they will come a collect it without charge. (I have only asked them to do this once - if I am honest) Their wines are good in my view. Have a look at there website - contact them - they should be able to help you with what you want to do.

Buy some Opus 1, if you can find it at a reasonable price

:rover:

I've had wines from Laithwaites in the past (If you join most of the newsapaper wine clubs [sunday Times etc.] they are nearly all supplied by Laithwaites) and basically, unless you go for the very expensive wines, I believe you get better wines and better value from Tesco. Not that I would recommend Tesco for wines to cellar for 18 years. You need to consult an expert for that. A lot of wines turn to vinegar in much less time than that.

Oscar,

I don't think that there are many 18 year olds who would have the experience to appreciate a vintage wine. And I don't think them putting it in the cellar for another 5 years would be much of a thrill.

If you do go for the idea, D Byrnes up from the station in Clitheroe is legendary.

Maybe I'm missing the point...

An 18 year old isn't going to appreciate the 'investment' of a bottle of wine 18 years previously. They'll just drink it regardless.

Buy a bottle on the way to their do?

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone remember which fine wine was reputed to have the bouquet of an Aborigine's Armpit?

"It's.......................... ......................"

Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of Rioja after drinking copious amounts of the stuff on my annual trips to Seville.

Two which are available in most shops are Campo Viejo and Faustino, I tend to go for the Campo Viejo Reserva but the normal stuff for about £6.50 is still a decent bottle.

Something which I didn't expect was my liking for White Rioja, you need a decent wine shop for this or find it on the internet. Campio Viejo Riojo Blanco is very, very nice.

On my honeymoon I stumbled upon on vineyard in Tuscany called Marches de Frescobaldi and they do a Chianti called Nippozano which is quite frankly the nicest red I have tasted. This can only be purchased on the internet, no wine merchants I have spoken to import it.

I am a big fan of Rioja after drinking copious amounts of the stuff on my annual trips to Seville.

Two which are available in most shops are Campo Viejo and Faustino, I tend to go for the Campo Viejo Reserva but the normal stuff for a bout £6.50 is still a decent bottle.

Something which I didn't expect was my liking for White Rioja, you need a dcent wine shop for this or find it on the internet. Campio Viejo Riojo Blanco is very, very nice.

On my honeymoon I stumbled upon on vineyard in Tuscany called Marches de Fescobaldi and they do a Chianti called Nippozano which is quite frankly the nicest red I have tasted. This can only be purchased on the internet, no wine merchants I have spoken to import it.

I quite like Rioja too but they vary quite a lot in quality. When you refer to Faustino you need to specify which Faustino you are talking about. Foustino V11 or V are relatively inexpensive at about £6 a bottle but Faustino 1 can cost the proverbial arm and a leg. Nice wine but only for special occasions unless you are Cheshire Blue!

Go down your local book shop and grab a copy of Parkers guide to wine, if your looking purely from an investment point of view then I'm afraid its bordeux for you. I've been out of the game for a while but st emilions/pomerol's (red) 2000 was a 5* st emillion & pomerol year price will be high now though. These are some of the better producers that I remember:

Angelus

Ausone

Canon la gaffeliere

Petrus (Pomerol)

Pavie

La Mondotte

lafite rothschild

la conseillante

hope that helps but as I said I've been out of the game for about 5-6 years any decent book store will have a copy. they are not cheap but if stored correctly could be worth a small fortune in 20 years time.

More people in france invest in wine (I have) than property!!!

Read an interesting article yesterday: the writer said when you go to a nice restaurant, order the cheapest bottle of wine. Generally, restaurants will not serve wine that isn't good. He said it was suggested to him by a friend who is a huge wine lover and he has only gotten bad wine once.

Read an interesting article yesterday: the writer said when you go to a nice restaurant, order the cheapest bottle of wine. Generally, restaurants will not serve wine that isn't good. He said it was suggested to him by a friend who is a huge wine lover and he has only gotten bad wine once.

I've worked in the trade at some top hotels, and I can tell you one thing I spent more time choosing my house wine than any other for one reason - profit.

House wine has the biggest mark up of any wine percentage wise, but the reason I spent so long on it was to make sure it was a good one. Before I quit the industry at my last hotel It took me 3 months to choose the one I wanted tasting over 50 different wines. I sold it for £17.50 per bottle in 2002, and paid less than £3.00 per bottle from a small vineyard in france, the beauty was it tasted great, comparable to some wines that were a lot more expensive, and it made me a bundle!

I quite like Rioja too but they vary quite a lot in quality. When you refer to Faustino you need to specify which Faustino you are talking about. Foustino V11 or V are relatively inexpensive at about £6 a bottle but Faustino 1 can cost the proverbial arm and a leg. Nice wine but only for special occasions unless you are Cheshire Blue!

My wife and I really enjoy good Spanish reds. We decided to treat ourselves on returning from Spain in May and bought a Faustino 1 at a cost of about £18.

We had it the other night with no preceding alcohol, such as a beer, that may have affected its taste.

Whilst most Spanish reds look like pouring blood, this looked like pouring watered down Ribena.

It smelled nice and the taste was quite good but we were disappointed in the quality considering the high price.

Also, Al, I only learned recently that not all wines mature with age, as you mentioned.

Some should have a drink-by date on them.

Archived