BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

Just realising there are only three weeks to the start of the season - and looking at clubs who will need to sign players in an awful hurry.

MAN U - striker. ARSENAL - midfielder or two. CHELSEA - striker, possibly midfield, maybe centre half. LIVERPOOL - striker. SPURS - right winger, striker or two, maybe a centre half. VILLA - right back, maybe centre half, midfield, winger. ROVERS - right back, possibly two midfield, maybe right winger. EVERTON - right back, two midfield, striker. MAN CITY - keeper, left back, right wing, striker. PORTSMOUTH - right wing, midfield, centre half, left back. NEWCASTLE - left back, centre half, defensive midfield, extra attacker. SUNDERLAND - right back, centre half, two midfield, striker. BOLTON - left wing, centre half, midfield. MIDDLESBROUGH - central midfield. WIGAN - central midfield, striker, left back. HULL - centre half, midfield, striker or two. WEST HAM - centre half, possibly left wing. FULHAM - striker. STOKE - keeper, centre half, striker...at least. WEST BROM - centre half, striker...maybe more.

What other industry would swing into action with so much work still to be done? Madness.

So the only two teams that are after a left back are Man City and Newcastle.

And when one of them snuffles up Warnock, we are in for one from elsewhere probably. Maybe another one from Liverpool making that the mother of all twists. Is that the 2300hr update?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just realising there are only three weeks to the start of the season - and looking at clubs who will need to sign players in an awful hurry.

(....)

WEST HAM - centre half

Do you really think they need another one, considering they've already got Ferdinand, Upson, Gabbidon, Collins, Tomkins, Davenport, Spector and Neill? :huh:

I'd think they'll be looking for a left back as back-up for McCartney instead!

MAN U - striker. ARSENAL - midfielder or two. CHELSEA - striker, possibly midfield, maybe centre half. LIVERPOOL - striker. SPURS - right winger, striker or two, maybe a centre half. VILLA - right back, maybe centre half, midfield, winger. ROVERS - right back, possibly two midfield, maybe right winger. EVERTON - right back, two midfield, striker. MAN CITY - keeper, left back, right wing, striker. PORTSMOUTH - right wing, midfield, centre half, left back. NEWCASTLE - left back, centre half, defensive midfield, extra attacker. SUNDERLAND - right back, centre half, two midfield, striker. BOLTON - left wing, centre half, midfield. MIDDLESBROUGH - central midfield. WIGAN - central midfield, striker, left back. HULL - centre half, midfield, striker or two. WEST HAM - centre half, possibly left wing. FULHAM - striker. STOKE - keeper, centre half, striker...at least. WEST BROM - centre half, striker...maybe more.

What other industry would swing into action with so much work still to be done? Madness.

Sounds daft in the light of TV money but .......A skint one. :rolleyes:

AMS's 'Prune juice' is the best description. Football finances are like a bonfire, the more you chuck on the hotter it gets and the more it burns BUT no matter how much you throw at it it's still just a pile of burnt out ashes in the morning.

hmmm.... that'd make a good sig. :wacko:

Do you really think they need another one, considering they've already got Ferdinand, Upson, Gabbidon, Collins, Tomkins, Davenport, Spector and Neill? :huh:

I'd think they'll be looking for a left back as back-up for McCartney instead!

They are - Ferdinand is going, Neill will too if they find a buyer and they don't fancy some of the others much. Can't say I blame them. That run of 4-0s last season tells you there is a problem.

Nicko

Do you have any news yet on how much were paying Robinson in wages? Can't imagine he would have taken much of a paycut to join us but I'm assuming he must have been on more than what Friedel was on.

Also can you confirm if we are in deed getting around £500,000 from the Joe Garner to Forest transfer?

Nicko

Do you have any news yet on how much were paying Robinson in wages? Can't imagine he would have taken much of a paycut to join us but I'm assuming he must have been on more than what Friedel was on.

Also can you confirm if we are in deed getting around £500,000 from the Joe Garner to Forest transfer?

I don't know Robinson's terms but I would imagine it will be in the £35,000-a-week plus bracket and rising. It is also a five-year contract which is a massive commitment.

And I believe the Garner sell-on is correct. It's an awful lot of money for him. But the sale to Carlisle worked well for everyone...apart from poor old Neil McDonald.

I don't know Robinson's terms but I would imagine it will be in the £35,000-a-week plus bracket and rising. It is also a five-year contract which is a massive commitment.

And I believe the Garner sell-on is correct. It's an awful lot of money for him. But the sale to Carlisle worked well for everyone...apart from poor old Neil McDonald.

A 5 year contract would be a massive commitment if contracts meant anything these days!!

Nicko

What was the link with Kia Joorabchian (sp.?) in the City interest; do you mean he was trying to broker a deal on behalf of City but they didn't have the brass?

Much has been made of Brad representing himself on his last contract renewal; was this still the case or was their agent involvement in his corner?

Think both us and Villa can be happy with the deal, what's your gut instinct as to how this was instigated - i.e. is it likely Brad got the whiff Ince may have been looking more at a long term solution & then a whisper went around he was available? Or do you think City sparked it all with their interest? Or was it just a speculative enquiry from Villa?

Finally, do you actually know the reason & want to protect your sources, or are you as in the dark on this one as anyone?

Thanks in advance, and for all the good work you do on here - much appreciated ....

Nicko

What was the link with Kia Joorabchian (sp.?) in the City interest; do you mean he was trying to broker a deal on behalf of City but they didn't have the brass?

Much has been made of Brad representing himself on his last contract renewal; was this still the case or was their agent involvement in his corner?

Think both us and Villa can be happy with the deal, what's your gut instinct as to how this was instigated - i.e. is it likely Brad got the whiff Ince may have been looking more at a long term solution & then a whisper went around he was available? Or do you think City sparked it all with their interest? Or was it just a speculative enquiry?

Finally, do you actually know the reason & want to protect your sources, or are you as in the dark on this one as anyone?

Thanks in advance, and for all the good work you do on here - much appreciated ....

Joorabchian was negotiating for Man City - he now does their deals. Bizarre.

Brad did his own terms but an agent called Tony McGill did the move for Villa.

As for how it kicked off...I think word went round that Rovers wanted another keeper and that alerted both Villa and Man City. Just who started those stories and why will maybe only emerge in time.

The bottom line is that all of the parties are happy. Rovers have a new and younger keeper without breaking the bank, Villa have a top keeper, Brad has picked up a massive final payment.

Sure, Rovers could have matched his terms and kept him...but you can understand why they didn't.

Brad was content until this all kicked off and Villa started offering fortunes. You can't blame him either.

It has all happened in a fortnight, so by modern standards that is minimum disruption.

Nicko, have you done the teams in the order you think they will finish this season by any chance?

Nicko, Whats the latest on Bentley? Is the guy getting any other clubs interested? He seems to be waiting for Spurs, but they don't seem to have the cash. i.e. there selling Kaboul to Pompey for 3 Million, hardly going to make enough. How much money do we have in your opinion? Or are we waiting for the sale of Bentley?

Only a commitment by one side of the deal though. :angry: It's madness. The world is on the edge of a 'perfect' recession ffs! Why not just pay him 40k pw with an evergreen 6 month contract? Why have we committed ourselves bare-arsed to an outlay of nigh on 13m even if his question mark wobbles prove permanent?

So, could it be Man City also after Warnock? I like the lad, don't really want him going anywhere, but Ince is the boss and so...

Anything that involves Warnock leaving is fairly negative in my view.

Only a commitment by one side of the deal though. :angry: It's madness. The world is on the edge of a 'perfect' recession ffs! Why not just pay him 40k pw with an evergreen 6 month contract? Why have we committed ourselves bare-arsed to an outlay of nigh on 13m even if his question mark wobbles prove permanent?

If he has a wonderful season then what, if he had a 6 Month or a Year deal, he would be off in a flash for peanuts, least this way he is contracted. Fact is he is a decent GK, what you have to remember is, he was playing behind Kaboul, Zakora and bloody Chimbonda, not the greatest are they. He's an England International guys. If any English GK reclaims the spot of James, it will be Robinson, mark my words.

So, could it be Man City also after Warnock? I like the lad, don't really want him going anywhere, but Ince is the boss and so...

Anything that involves Warnock leaving is fairly negative in my view.

Nicko is there something in this, Ince used to be at Liverpool at the same time as Friedel and Warnock. Do they not get on?

I'd rather have given the cash to Brad!!

NICKO - do you know if Ince is looking to give RSC on a new contract???

Archived