BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Barack Obama

Well for me, I've not heard anything about or from palin since the VP debate, so I'm guessing its overseas coverage fixated on her, since she does well match what I envision to be the rest of the world's stereotypical red-neck American.

Have you not been aware of her harping on about Obama being best mates with some 60s hippy revolutionary?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you'd be very wrong there...

Well for me, I've not heard anything about or from palin since the VP debate, so I'm guessing its overseas coverage fixated on her, since she does well match what I envision to be the rest of the world's stereotypical red-neck American.

Actually we credit the average red-knecked American with a bit of native intelligence and an ability to make themselves understood in tough situations....

At least there must be little coverage in America of Palin whipping up Republican crowds into yelling "kill him" and "traitor" about Obama and that has to be no bad thing.

If I could vote, I'd pick Obama. I don't like Palin beyond doing rude things with her, and the more McCain/Palin talk, the more they sound like Bush and Cheney. Nasty, negative, beholden to big business and incredibly stupid. I'm worried that the whole anti-intellectual tone will bring out the Randys and Tywandas from Backwater, Tennessee or Turdsville, Alabama to vote for McCain. The hilbillys are virulent against anyone who dares criticise anything about their country, those who can read and love anyone who wraps themselves in the flag and shout that 'U-S-A' chant. Palin is appealing to these tools by implying Obama is a terrorist because he has some sort of foreign heritage, and once was a friend of a former militant hippy. Well, I bet McCain knows a few guys who killed or raped civilians in Vietnam.

If McCain wins, frankly the USA deserves all they get. That's not to say Obama is perfection, but he is a better choice than McCain.

Three interesting developments:

- Obama leading by 8 points in an opinion poll in WEST Virginia. If that's true the election is headed for a landslide for Obama.

- Rather sweet point but Obama has communicated to Fox that McCain should state his issues about Ayres etc face-to-face. (Implying the third debate given McCain funked out of doing so in the second debate)

- Obama campaign has bought 30 minute prime time blocks on all the main channels on Oct 29, probably including Fox. The loony right are going to be besides themselves!

The whole of the state is in the Appalachians. To be fair although many maps have it as solid red, it does have some track record of voting Democrat and the BBC map now has it as pale blue. So perhaps not that great a shock.

Fox have found they have a football match they cannot move and so Obama cannot have the slot he asked for.... However, Fox cannot say he was too scared to place the ad with them so one up to Obama on that.

Obama advertising on Fox?! That's like Hitler taking out an ad in Pradva.

Is West Virginia the kind of place that would normally not vote for a black person, and would love Sarah Palin?

As I understand it, yes. He got absolutely walloped there in the primaries against Clinton. The same in Kentucky. It was these results which led Clinton to claim, in a last throw of the dice, that somehow she was the better option since she could win the only demographic that mattered apparently - the working class, white racist vote. Robert Byrd, the oldest and most senior US Senator is from West Virginia (he's almost 91 and is the longest-serving member of the Senate ever). He's a Democrat and an Obama supporter. He's also a former member of the KKK. No seriously.

I'd be amazed if Obama carried WV.

As I understand it, yes. He got absolutely walloped there in the primaries against Clinton. The same in Kentucky. It was these results which led Clinton to claim, in a last throw of the dice, that somehow she was the better option since she could win the only demographic that mattered apparently - the working class, white racist vote. Robert Byrd, the oldest and most senior US Senator is from West Virginia (he's almost 91 and is the longest-serving member of the Senate ever). He's a Democrat and an Obama supporter. He's also a former member of the KKK. No seriously.

I'd be amazed if Obama carried WV.

You're bang on with West Virginia. I'm surpirsed that the poll shows Obama ahead there. It's a poor state which votes Democrat every time out but as they voted for Bush both times and it's the least racially diverse state in America I don't reckon they'll vote for Obama.

Byrd is untouchable despite his shady past. Every other building in WV is named after him as he spent years divvying up money and always keeping a bit for his state. I thought the now dead Strom Thurmond had the Senate record? He was close to 100 when he finally retired (he's dead now). He ran for president years ago on a segregationist ticket (another word for apartheid). So what came out a few years ago? The fact that he fathered a child to a black woman who used to work for his family. He kept it quiet but supported her financially.

You're bang on with West Virginia. I'm surpirsed that the poll shows Obama ahead there. It's a poor state which votes Democrat every time out but as they voted for Bush both times and it's the least racially diverse state in America I don't reckon they'll vote for Obama.

Byrd is untouchable despite his shady past. Every other building in WV is named after him as he spent years divvying up money and always keeping a bit for his state. I thought the now dead Strom Thurmond had the Senate record? He was close to 100 when he finally retired (he's dead now). He ran for president years ago on a segregationist ticket (another word for apartheid). So what came out a few years ago? The fact that he fathered a child to a black woman who used to work for his family. He kept it quiet but supported her financially.

No Byrd is the longest serving Senator. He's also cast over 18,000.00 votes. Holey moley. :huh:

Actually we credit the average red-necked American with a bit of native intelligence and an ability to make themselves understood in tough situations....

not quite

I'm sure this is not representative. But it's cringe-worthy

Now he has got to pull back the scum who are running his media campaign.

He did well there. It is prudent that he step back from this sort of slander (though calling someone 'an Arab' is not necessarily an insult in itself), even if it's his fault that such views are being expressed in a public forum. McCain is not the monster that the Obama campaign would have everyone believe, nor is he the kind of conservative poster-child that the extreme wing of his party wishes him to be. Yes, he's compromised his own reputation far too much during this campaign and as a result he and Palin have whipped up the prejudices of their base. These people now believe that they have a sympathetic ear for their own bigotry when in fact McCain and, even Palin, disagree with Obama on policy and ideology only. They're simply playing politics, badly.

Isn't it scary though how stupid people can be duped by unsubstantiated scare-mongering. :huh:

Palin's under investigation for abuse of her position in alaska as governer

She was found guilty of abuse of power. No doubt it will get washed away with bickering.

McCain now coming over all softly softly after telling that woman who called Obama an Arab that she was worng. Too little to late if you ask me. His cronies have been whipping up a frenzy with some low stuff, now McCain is attempting to stop it.

Obama now has an 11 point lead and Americans think the economy is in a bad way by a margin of 86-10. There are 10% of Americans that think nothing is wrong???

This is before the Troopergate Report.

You have to hand it to the Obama Campaign- apparently they have issued no press releases or comments on anything this morning.

The Obama/Palin reaction that the Troopergate report vindicates her and was politically motivated ends up looking risibly stupid.

The Commission was dominated 10-4 by Republicans yet voted unanimously to release the report- albeit at a time to miss all the main US media yesterday. The report comes straight out and says Palin BROKE THE LAW.

I think it was highly unlikely the republicans were going to win this election no matter who was selected as the party's nomination.

Obama's support seems to stem from a hatred of the current republican administration rather than public support for his policies or his substance. Even if Obama wasn't their pick i think a democrat win, barring an absolute disaster was a certainty as the republicans are that unpopular. Though he definitely wouldn't be my choice if i was an American voter.

Archived