BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pc Gone Mad!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, and they're on an MI5 watchlist for a reason, bazza - they're under suspicion. But my point was in answering the part that "Muslims are allowed to freely preach hatred" - that is not true because this is inciting racial hatred, which is against the law - and has been since the 70s. Is that "utter rubbish", bazza?

Your understanding of this complex issue is rather elementary.

A growing number of UK mosques no longer preach mainstream Islam; they instead choose t preach the Quran according to ‘Wahhab’- This is mainly to do with the unchecked level of influence and funding that is been imported in to the country from Saudi-Arabia.

If you have read extracts of the edited Quran from Saudi-Arabia; you will see that in many cases if such ideology is actually adhered to and acted out it is both undemocratic and in many cases wholly illegal in this country. (References to Kuffour, Jews, Women & Gays are off particular concern)

The problem is we are so far up the ‘House of Saud’s’ arse, that we daren’t say, “will you please stop exporting radical ideologies and people to our country”

Hmmmm. My in laws are Italian and Ukranian with strong Polish links. We've been eating Italian, Polish and Ukranian food in our house for close to 30 years, you don't know what you're missing Hughesy and at Christmas it's double the fun. Or should we stick to boiled beef and carrots with fish on Fridays?

My point was keeping traditional things. Not starting to eat polish or italian food on christmas day, just because they are catholic.

I don't think their Catholicism has anything to do with it. In any case you were suggesting that this move by Corrie was some sort of attempt to reach out to an alien religion. Once again, the Poles are Catholics which is hardly anything unusual.

My point was keeping traditional things. Not starting to eat polish or italian food on christmas day, just because they are catholic.

Keep traditional things that are worth keeping.

You banging on about a Coronation Street meal makes you ten times worse than any over-PC nutjob, even if those are the reasons why theyre doing it (which is a huge assumption to make).

Hughesy,

Just out of interest what is "keeping traditional things". I don't think that there is any such thing.

I was born in 1955, my Mum was born in 1927, my Dad in 1928. I'm sure that between us we'll be able to disperse some of your ideas of what's traditional. I'm not trying to be aggressive or unpleasant here, but I think you just may be looking at the whole thing through some 2008 "happy-glasses."

Start on the tree if you want.

Cheers mate

Colin

• 3 months later...

Well said Clint Eastwood....

I haven't previously been a particular fan of Clint Eastwood or the films that he's featured in, but I found myself agreeing with him this week when he said: "We're all spending too much time and energy trying to be politically correct about everything."

Clint said: "In former times we frequently made jokes about people from different cultures and races. You can only tell them today with one hand over your mouth otherwise you will be insulted as a racist. I find that ridiculous."

When I was at school, the kids often made jokes about Irishmen, Scotsmen, Welshmen etc. Even, dare I say it, the odd joke made about Asians too. The jokes were normally meant to be light-hearted and were without maliciousness.

Now it seems that the PC brigade frown on even the mildest of jokes. It's no laughing matter anymore - you can literally lose your job in some companies for telling a joke about an Irishman. This week British Telecom have reportedly suspended 30 call centre staff after they had circulated an Irish joke by email.

Would BT have suspended 30 staff for a joke about an Englishman? If the answer to that is "No", then why is it that English people are now the only ones we can have a joke about anymore?

It seems wrong to me if the only nationality we're allowed to joke about now are the English.

Link: Clint Eastwood attacks the PC culture

Well said Clint Eastwood....

I haven't previously been a particular fan of Clint Eastwood or the films that he's featured in, but I found myself agreeing with him this week when he said: "We're all spending too much time and energy trying to be politically correct about everything."

Clint said: "In former times we frequently made jokes about people from different cultures and races. You can only tell them today with one hand over your mouth otherwise you will be insulted as a racist. I find that ridiculous."

When I was at school, the kids often made jokes about Irishmen, Scotsmen, Welshmen etc. Even, dare I say it, the odd joke made about Asians too. The jokes were normally meant to be light-hearted and were without maliciousness.

Now it seems that the PC brigade frown on even the mildest of jokes. It's no laughing matter anymore - you can literally lose your job in some companies for telling a joke about an Irishman. This week British Telecom have reportedly suspended 30 call centre staff after they had circulated an Irish joke by email.

Would BT have suspended 30 staff for a joke about an Englishman? If the answer to that is "No", then why is it that English people are now the only ones we can have a joke about anymore?

It seems wrong to me if the only nationality we're allowed to joke about now are the English.

Link: Clint Eastwood attacks the PC culture

I think I've posted this video on here before but this is an excellent bit on people like yourself who shout "political correctness gone mad" at any available opportunity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21e7po1Sro

I wouldn't expect everyone to appreciate it though.

As Stewart Lee rightly points out, the current standards of political correctness are from perfect. But I would still much rather live in a country where nationality based jokes are confined to the pub (as opposed to work email system) to living in a country where a major political party can run campaigns like the one Lee described. Hell, there's no way even the BNP would have their names associated with a campaign like that these days.

I can't really see how anyone can argue with this...

Archived